2D Artwork: Please Help Me With colouring!

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by SpeedFreak01, Nov 26, 2010.

1. SpeedFreak01

SpeedFreak01 Well-Known Member

Hey everbody, it's me, SpeedFreak. I've been trying to work on my Combaticons for a bit now, but I can't find a good method to colour and shade. Tedimus very kindly showed me dcjosh's tutorial, but my brain broke after the first page.

So I'm putting it to you, fellow artists, to guide me in the ways of colouring. I've placed some lineart on this page, that you can colour if you please. If you do, could you please show me how you got to the end result?
    offensive transformer.jpg
    I would really appreciate it if you gave this a go-it would make me very happy,and it would make you very happy as well, as I would be able to give you glorious technicolour Transformers!

BTW, the Transformer in the drawing is not Leadfoot- it is the offensively-named Spastic.
    And the flag can be a Britain or England flag.

Happy colouring!

2. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

Josh old tutorial isn't really that tricky. But I can give you a few suggestions.

Scan larger, at 300 DPI or something. In pure black and white. You can still color your pic there but it will take a lot of cleaning and fixing.

Layers are good. If you have Photoshop then look in the layers window, you'll see your image there as "background". Select -> All to select all of it and right click with the selection tool and select "Cut to new layer".

Now your line art is on its own layer! To begin you have two options, do you want to place all the colors manually or do I want to use the paint bucket tool? Both methods have their own pros, cons and methods.

After you've layed down the flats, that is the "pure" or "normal" unshaded colors you can begin shading.

For a beginner it's pretty easy to just make a new layer above it, pick black and then do your shadows and change the layers opachity to however you want it. But there are as many methods to color as there is people.

Just start somewhere. Don't be afraid to suck! We all do when we try something new and we get better as we learn.

3. SpeedFreak01

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I do not have Photoshop- I have Paint.net and GIMP.

4. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Me too.

I just downloaded GIMP, and by the looks of it it has the brushes to do shading....

GIMP should work.

5. Thunderthruster

Thunderthruster Autobot Supersoldier

News Credits:
    I use artweaver, (which is free to download), but tbh what program you use is preference and inconsequential, as long as you have a program that lets you create Layers, your only limited by yourself (ie, I dont shade anything yet!)

6. SpeedFreak01

Thanks for the feedback guys! I realise that a lack of Photoshop does not need to hinder me, but knowing's half the battle, and I don't really know how to colour properly!

7. SpeedFreak01

Hello? I still need help.....heeellppp mee...please...
    And no-one's given my picture a colour. :( 

8. SpeedFreak01

Wow, I'm getting as many comments on this thread as Jolt had screentime in ROTF!
    Come on people! Give a guy a hand! I want to see loads of different colouring styles of the same picture on here!

9. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    regardless of what package you are using hte basic principle is the same.

you just need two layers, your lineart on the top layer, set to something like 'multiply' so that the back layer shows through. then colour in flat colours on the back layer. then decide where in the image your light source is coming from, and add shading accordingly. if you aren't sure how to do the shading, get a transformer, put it on your desk, and shine a lamp at it, and look where the light and dark bits are.

just have a play like that and see where it gets you, the best way to get advice on how to colour is to just try and and post the results, then people will be able to point out what you are doing right or wrong and how to improve.

10. SpeedFreak01

Thank you, my friend! Feedback! WOOT!
    I'd still like people to colour my picture, so I can see some different techniques. I'll colour it too, don't worry!

11. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    also one more tip.. if you want either an english or british (or new zealand or australian flag too, it's hugely offensive in most major english speaking countries) then you should make the flag rectangular rather than a pennant

12. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    ok, here's a very quick and dirty 2 min job on a leg for an example, although disclaimer - i'm not a colourist

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    :stickies 

For real. Ol' Quaddy here has been busting his rear on Fan Art tutorials over the last couple of years now. Enjoy them and learn! :) 

14. SpeedFreak01

Soorry. I'll check them out too! I did check the "Tutorials and How Tos" forum before making this thread...

15. SpeedFreak01

You, sir, are awesome!

16. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    thanks, as i said though i'm not a colourist and that's the first time that i've done anything like that, so you're by far better off looking at the excellent tutorials that are already out there.. just have a go yourself then post the results, and the experts here will be able to give you some good feedback.

17. SpeedFreak01

Hey everybody, I've been following the adivice I've been given on this thread, and have made an attempt on my picture. It's not very good, but that's mainly because of the lineart having all sorts od weird pixels around it (I don't know how to describe it...:( ). Check it out below!
    colouring wip.jpg

18. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    not too familiar with gimp, but looks like you might have your layers the wrong way around - the top layer should be your lineart, set to 'multiply'. if your colours are set to multiply then you won't be able to put any highlights on.

you can then just use either some white or just the eraser tool to clean up any messy bits of pixels that are still around.

if it's the noise that's around all of the lines, that's from it being saved out as a JPG first. a quick way to get rid of that is to just increase the contrast, so that the light grey becomes white, leaving only the black lines.

19. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pro art markers like copic and prismacolor help.

google steeldolphin digital color tutorial for a link to an easy to understand and follow tutorial for beginners.

A lot of use of selection lasso , fills and gradients will be necessary. Oddly brushes are more used to touch up or for more organic things unless you have a good tablet.

20. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    Decent markers, or digital inking.. agree.. disagree about Steeldolphin's tutorials though, they aren't much good for beginners. They're overly complex, things like channels aren't needed.