Customs: please help me make a metallic paint!?!?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by OMEGAPRIME1983, Feb 18, 2008.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ok all, I am foing to make another rpaint of the TFTM CC BB, I bought a diecast CC frm TRU last weekend, and i ended up making an almost perfect color match to whats on the model. HOWEVER, the color that is on the diecast is either a metallic or a pearl. Now I know that a metallic pwder could be added into a solid color as where a pearl gets added to more of a translucent color. SO! heres what I am asking.. does any one know where I can get a metallic powder to add into my paint so that I can make this work as right as I can with out having to go to a specialty shop such as carquest and have the paint color matched?? Thanks a lot everyone for the help!!!

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    The Jada toys model right? same size and all. You may try Pearl-X pigments too, if you dont do well on eBay. I think Michaels may have it but dont quote me. Also, Citadel Golden Yellow is almost a perfect match to his yellow base. Closest I found.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ok, thanks guys, I appreciate the info!! And Archatron, yes its the Jada toys model. I bought the 1:18 scale one. I figured that would be the best way to go for color matching his colors. Also, where exacly would I find these Pearl-X pigments you mentioned?

5. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    I think Michaels, or try a hobby shop. Someone told me once but I cant remember where he said. THe guy si Ben from boskoestoys.com

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Right now my trick is to apply a coat of Inscribe Pearly Glaze, which is a gloss glaze with mica particles suspended in it; this gives a gorgeous iridescent sheen. Unfortunately the product is no longer being produced, as Inscribe apparently went into liquidation 4 years ago.

Another, more viable option would be to check out Vallejo's Metallic Medium. Mix it with your paint and the particles add a metallic sheen - although you could also apply it over the top as I do with the Pearly Glaze, and it should have similar results.