Please give your opinions How much should I keep?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tomdom69, Jan 14, 2009.

1. tomdom69

tomdom69 Well-Known Member

I have ALOT of TF's. I recently bought a house. I'd allways been thinking
    " When I get a house I'll display ALL of my TF's." Well that probably isn't going to happen. I'd need to put shelves on every wall of my basement.

So should I.......

get the shelves and say screw it who needs a basement?

only keep what I can display in my computer room, and let the other stuff sit in boxes the rest of my life?

keep what I can display in my computer room, and sell the rest so somebody else can enjoy them?

keep what I can displayin my computer room, and keep all the leaders, sell the rest?

help me out with some ideas here guys, I'm sure alot of you has gone through this.

I'm struggling cause I've sold botcon/ehobby and other rare things when I needed money and have regretted it. but I didn't really have a choice. Now I do, but what's the point of having tf's sit in boxes if they'll never see the light of day. Plus I'm still buying more.

I don't know... If you guys can just tell me what you did or are doing maybe it'll help.

This is what I have

I have every toy loose from the following lines..... Except some recolors

G2
    machine wars
    beast wars
    beast machines
    armada
    energon
    cybertron
    movie
    animated

I have every toy boxed from....

carrobots

and the leaders from neo and bwII (sold the rest)

I have 2 of each sealed (one to be opened) from these lines..

first G1 reissues
    book reissues
    other reissues
    encore reissues
    masterpiece
    binaltech (only 1 black prime)
    alternators

one of each sealed...

beast wars (show characters)

and misc botcon/ehobby/jap toyshow/lucky draw exclusives

2. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    You know your TF's better than I do. I say put your favorites on display in your computer room, and keep the others in bins that keep dust out like these: [​IMG]

3. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    those are all junk. you should just get rid of all of them. ill take em off ur hands. how does 7 dollars for the lot sound?

4. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will offer $7.01! :D 

You know, in all seriousness, I've been thinking about the same thing. My collection is not as large as yours. But I am moving (soon, hopefully) to a new home. I am sick of most of my TF's in boxes stored away, but I don't want the little plastic buggers taking over the home either. I figure (no pun intended) that when time comes, I will be putting out the main favorites, and see which ones don't mean that much to me that I can let go. Not the best advice, but I hope it may give you an idea or two.

5. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a large 6'X3-4' bookshelf that I display my collection on. I also have a large box that I can keep a few items that are not on display. Anything that is not on the bookshelf or in the box I get rid of. I used to keep several boxes but it was getting out of hand. People would come into my office and ask if I was moving, so thats when I decided to narrow it down to just the one box.

6. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    you dont need two of certain figs. of those you intedd to open I say open upp and display them in a nice glass cabinetts and sell of the rest.

I call dibs on first reissue, Rodimus and Hot rod :p 

7. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    You could just rotate who's out on display.

And is there really something that bad about putting shelves on every wall of your basement? Its not like you're putting shelves on every wall of your living room...

--Moony

8. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was in your position just a few years ago so I know where you're coming from. My wife was gracious to give me one room (out of the 5) in our new home for my toys and I had explicit directions to keep the toys confined to that room! Needless to say even w/ adjustable shelves on the wall I still don't have room to display all of my TFs.

My solution? Take a long hard look at what you have. What pieces do you "love"? Is there a series you're not as fond of compared to others? If you can take over the basement then I'd line the walls w/ track shelving...that way you can always adjust the shelves later to your liking or add more if need be.

Keep what you absolutely like and anything that is expendable (i.e. don't have room to display) then consider letting go. I like to display my vintage G1 & Japanese G1 in their packaging, but I'm finding it takes up more room than I care so I'm re-arranging my shelves w/ the majority of the items loose.

I know for myself that I bought just about every TF release since G2 just because it was a Transformer and there is a lot of stuff I've amassed that I just don't care for anymore. Instead of letting them sit in the closet never to see the light of day/display, I'm getting rid of them. Lord knows I could always use the $$ I get from the sale of them for other things.

Hopefully you'll come to some sort of conclusion that you'll be happy with. Keep us updated!

9. tomdom69

thanks for the tips guys

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll go $7.02 for alternators Optimus Prime.

If the basement is finished, why not turn it into a huge transformers/computer room? Me and my dad collected Lionel trains, and we had a huge layout in our basement and put shelves on every wall. What else would you use the basement for if you weren't going to use it to display transformers?

11. AMG

AMG Old School

If it was me, I would turn the basement into a toy showroom.

12. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Half shelve the area, then rotate the display every once in a while. Sucks but well, it makes for a easier peace with wife.

13. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

It definitely sounds like you have more than you have room for really. I'd look to sell some of the extras and maybe a line or two that you don't feel like displaying. This will give you more room, and more money to buy new things.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I say keep a line or two in your computer room, like G2 and Movie, or whichever your favorites are. And when your friends come over and say "wow, you have a lot of TFs," you go "come with me." And that's when you wow them with your basement.

Really, what's a basement good for? Absolutely nothing! Hoo! Hah! *ahem*

Back when I was growing up, my Dad converted the basement into a complete living space- 2 bedrooms, a living room, bathroom and kitchen. And we rented our basement out to people.

So yeah, make the most of your basement. Shelve those suckers up. Display everything you own.

15. Hound & Mirage

Hound & Mirage Rapscallion

Does your neighbor have a basement? If not, you could burrow over that way and make a secondary basement under their house. Could even have a secret entrance where you have to twist a candelabra in your own basement to activate the hidden door behind a painting of a mysterious woman or something.

Alternately, get really zen and throw out/sell all the bots you don't play with at least once every few months. I often review my collection and anything I find I don't really love gets the boot. I have all of 15 TFs right now but I enjoy the living hell outta each one.

16. roykop

roykop Cassetticon

News Credits:
    I would suggest you keep what you like. If can outright admit that you dont like a figure, regardless of what line it's from... get rid of it. I myself have fallen victim to completist tendencies... but its YOUR collection, so no need to keep every figure from a line if you dont like them.

If you don't have room for it all, keep the stuff you cant display in boxes, and maybe change up what your have on the shelves every few months or so. It'll give you an excuse to get the dust off em, and make the room feel new every once in a while.

17. tomdom69

you guys are giving really good advise. I appreciate it.

18. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I still think the obvious answer is to either get a bigger house or create multiple subbasements, one for each series. :) 

19. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

That's what I'm planning... just need to find a basement. :D 

Sell stuff if you need the money.
    Store stuff and put them through rotations is you need the space.

20. bruticus_prime

bruticus_prime awesomeness in a bottle

here what i would do keep the ones you like in the cpu room and put the ones you hate in the basement.and if that doesnt work display all over your house your den,your kitchen,any where that way who ever walks into your house will walk right into what you love