Please explain all the different X-Teams!

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Dalarsco, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I have only recently gotten seriously into comics, so I'm not up with all the history. What is up with all the X-Men books? Are they all different teams or are they about different periods in X-Men history? Is Ultimate X-Men the only alt universe X-Team, or are some of the other books I see also alts? Uncanny, Astonishing, New, Excalibur, it's all driving me nuts! :banghead: 

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Thanks, the marvel website is terrible for actual info except on a character by character basis.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

You know your getting old when you can remember when there was only one team of X-Men at a time or when Wolverine only appeared in one book a month.

5. CyclopianVision

CyclopianVision Banned

Blasphemy! When was that...post GS X-Men #1...

6. JohnnyWuFei

JohnnyWuFei ...where do we go now?

I just noticed that the New X-Men and Exiles portion isn't up to date... not to sure about the others since I rarely read those titles.

7. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

When I was a little kid I only had one team to think of. I watched the cartoon on Fox, which I beleive followed all the older stuff quite well for the major arcs. WHen did they start having a bunch of different teams, most of whom have Wolverine as a member?

8. gil

gil Godmaster

Honestly, I don't know. But I think it all started with Jim Lee's X-Men #1 when they had the Gold and Blue team.

9. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

The afforementioned 90s series is where that started, before then they at least had the decency to spin excess characters off into different books like X-Factor and Excalibur.

Wolverine being in 10 places at once is a more recent occurance, althougth he's had his own solo material since the early 80s and started guesting in pretty much any title that needed sales in the 90s.

10. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I miss the days when the different X-books werent written as if in different universes. I hate how there is three or four books with all the same characters running as if the others didnt exist at all.

This especially bothers me with the better titles. It seems like the events occuring in astonishing and deadly genesis would complement each other, while I can understand Brubaker or Whedon not wanting anything to do with the trainwreck that is Milligan's Xmen.

11. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Astonishing X-Men is set in the classic Marvel Universe.

Ignore everything else.

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    They won't have to bother much longer. Milligan is leaving X-Men after the Apocalypse storyline. It's a pity Milligan never managed to click with X-Men. His stuff with X-Force/X-Statix was great, but outside of a few glimpses of brilliance, his X-Men run has been mediocre at best. Still light years beyond Austen, but that's not saying much.

13. SubotaiBaghatur

You know, I really liked X-statix also. Its hard to believe the same writer that worked on that title is doing this Apocalypse trash. Apocalypse is my favorite of the X-villians, but milligan has made him look like a b-level bumbledum. Apocalypse as at his best boasting in abstract tech-speak with historical undertones. Milligan's portrayal of him doesnt seem genuine to the character at all with his how yah doing to Gambit at the end of the most recent issue. BTW, the new horsemen are the worst batch yet hands down.

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I think it's funny how everyone is shocked at Gambit becomming a horseman. "Oh noes! A good guy is a horseman!" It's been done. Archangel, Caliban, and yes WOLVERINE! Dun dun dun!

As for Milligan, I can't believe it either. He did brilliant work on X-Force/Statix. However, everything else has sucked. His Spiderman Venom/Carnage book was horrid. He did no research. Yes, Venom and Carnage have both met Black Cat. They fought in maximum Carnage. His work on X-Men made me drop the book but I couldn't stay away from Apocolypse. The guy just needs to stick to X-Statix.

15. SubotaiBaghatur

I think the problem with Gambit being a horseman was how it was done. Angel losing his wings was fairly traumatic. Wolverine apparently being decapitated in old Astonishing #3 was a shocker, followed up with his battle with Apocalypse who took the form of the Hulk was pretty cool.

Gambit hiking into Apocalypse's floating Sphinx was not awe inspiring by any stretch of the imagination however. I would have loved for Apocalypse to have been the villian over in deadly genesis handled by brubaker, that would have been entertaining.

16. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

I've been thinking about getting back into the X-men comics. If I only wanted to collect one book, which would you suggest?

17. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'm actually digging Milligan's Apocalypse. I find it rings more true to the original Apocalypse from the early days of X-Factor. Which is quite alot better than he's been portrayed over the last 15 years.

18. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    One would think Marvel would keep all of their in-continuity books organized. All of the X-Books (except Exiles) take place in the 616 continuity, but there's always some kind of discrepancy. Considering the cameo appearance of Havok and Polaris in Deadly Genesis, I have no clue when that book takes place.

Huh. I never read any of the early Apocalypse stories. To be honest, the only Apocalypse stories I've read are X-Cutioner's Song (not actually his story, but he was involved in it), and parts of AoA.

But I am enjoying Milligan's story, no matter how much my roommate is trying to ruin my fun (he saw a preview copy of Part 2, and kept complaining about Apocalypse serving blood to the mutants and Sentinel pilots). If you look at Milligan's Apocalypse as a (twisted) messiah as opposed to his big-bad-absolute-evil self, it's a decent story. I just wish Sunfire was War.

As for the X-Teams themselves, Marvel's changing the lineups around a bit in a few months.

X-Men gets Rogue, Iceman, Cannonball, Cable, Mystique, and Sabretooth. Incidentally, the last two are the reasons why I'm incredibly close to dropping the title after Blood of Apocalypse.

Uncanny will star Nightcrawler, Havok, Marvel Girl, Polaris, Warpath, Xavier, and a mystery character whose identity is currently a secret because it will apparently spoil the end of Deadly Genesis.

The Astonishing and New teams are most likely the same. As far as I know, X-Factor is remaining the same (Quicksilver is in #8, but I'm not sure in what capacity he'll appear). And I think Psylocke is going to New Excalibur before she joins Exiles (when Claremont's run starts).

19. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Depends on how often you want to read them. Astonishing is the flagship X-Men book, but it only comes out every other month. Brubaker's run on Uncanny looks like it might be good. No idea how Carey will do on X-Men. And I don't read Ultimate.

I agree. Plus Larocca's art in this arc is amazing.

20. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Do you know a lot about all the classic marvel stuff already? Then go for Astonishing. If you are new to Marvel in general, go for Ultimate. Much less baggage. I for one read both, since I'm a HUGE Joss Whedon fan.