Please educate this noob on a G1 toy difference

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tarskidx_Prime, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Tarskidx_Prime

Tarskidx_Prime Member

There are some old G1 toys that I have seen that have either the circle R or circle TM above the "S" on the Transformers boxes. Now my question is what difference does this make if any and is one considered more valuable than the other with collectors? If so, is it a huge difference and when did one copyright change to the other? I appreciate any and all help in advance for answering this question.

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is it on the same toy? I've never heard those box variations having an effect on the value. The toy itself usually detirmines which is more valuable (rubsign vs. pre-rubsign on eariler ones). Which charcter's box has this variation? It is possible if it is an earlier TF that the difference in the TM or R indicates if it is a rubsign vs. pre-rubsign version (if it isn't visible from outside the box).

3. Tarskidx_Prime

Tarskidx_Prime Member

I am sorry for the confusion. What I meant to say is that I have seen either the circle R or the circle TM on the G1 box, but not both. I have two G1 Megatrons and 1 has a circle R and the other has a circle TM and neither has a rubsign so maybe that can better explain things. I believe the circle R is older, but I am not sure as it appears everything moved away from that kind of trademark into the current TM that Hasbro still uses today, but I am not sure? Am I correct in that thinking. Thanks for the help!

4. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    Isn't circle R when they license it out to other companies, like on stickers, or various other products? If so, I'd think that the TM is when they first started, and didn't to licese as many things, and they changed it so that they could. My ROTF figures have the circle R, so that would make sense to me.

5. Tarskidx_Prime

Tarskidx_Prime Member

I am not sure because my 25th anniversary Optimus Prime has the TM as well as the Universe figures that I have so this is confusing?

6. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It means that the trademark application had not been approved at the time of the printing of the R (Reserverd) versions, and was changed to reflect that Hasbro now owned Trademark to the name later.

7. Tarskidx_Prime

Tarskidx_Prime Member

Sidecutter,

Does this mean the R was "before" TM back in the 80's and may be considered the earlier version because I see some figures even now in the ROTF with an R like the Soundwave I have, while the 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime has a TM and I am just not getting it. Thanks for answering.