Please don't kill me for this question!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by kipco, Oct 21, 2007.

1. kipco

kipco Cybertronian Relastate

Okay, before everyone throws a fit. I'm fairly new and I know this question had to be asked before, but I need answers. Don't reply if your a douchbag wanting to bitch about this question being asked so many times in the past. Remember, new people help the site grow!!! Okay, here it goes. Whats with the Devistator subtitle with Brawl? Go ahead. Error or not you would think the DVD would have fixed it. Bitch away.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was a mistake made by the movie makers. It was supposed to be corrected for the DVD but it looks like they forgot again. Also might not be a good idea to call people nazis.

3. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay is reported as preferring the name over Brawl so he went with it. And in fact bonus content produced for the DVD call him Devastator, as well, so I think there's little chance the subtitle was a typo or anything.

4. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

ur new here.......TFWNAZISSSSSSSSS ATTACKKKKK!!!!!!!!

5. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    First off, tone down the language. It is not necessary. Especially comparing fellow Board members to Nazi's, which is such an inappropriate term in it's own.

Second, to answer your question, no one said it would be fixed. The writers said they wanted it to be fixed (as would Hasbro) on the DVD since everything related to that character says "Brawl" and not "Devastator".

Rumor has it that Michael Bay liked the name Devastator better and that's why it did not change. Remember, this is just a rumor.

We here on TFW2005 likely think the error will be fixed when a 1.5 version of the DVD is released (just a re-release of the Transformers movie with more added content and special features).

That's the situation as of now. Hope that helps.

6. kipco

For the movie that almost made a billion dollars, thats some serious quality control issues.

7. netkid

News Credits:
    No, it's either Michael Bay or they just forgot to change it.

Remember, he's the director, he can do almost anything and get away with it.

IF you were fortunate enough to go on the Hasbro tour for Botcon, then you know how frustrated the design team was with conflicts from the film's other design team and how long it took for Hasbro to finally receive finalized designs.

They received the finalized Megatron Design 6 months before the movie was to be released. 6 months. They had to go change all the heads on the Leader class Megatron to the new head design....after the figures had already been packaged! That was a nightmare. They needed the designs done at least a year in advance, something which was not met due to how long it took for the movie makers to settle on a design.

Evidence of how long it took for the designs to be finalized can be seen in various marketing products that still use Megatron's old design, the Legends-class Megatron (which has the old head design), and how inaccurate some of the transformers movie toys are to their movie counterparts.

8. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Who is TWF?

9. kipco

HAHA, Oops!

10. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To 'forget' to change it when there are a couple renditions of the film with it unchanged suggests that it's on purpose. There's been the original release, the imax release, and the dvd/hd release, and in all cases it's the same, so I can't really see them forgetting to make that change that many times

11. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Toe Wart Finders?

12. kipco

Your telling me my language is bad? This is in another thread from another member
    "your on crack
    you didnt see the ending of megatron red eyes lit up cause it never happened.
    so basdically ur gf pulled ur pants down and fucked u sideways saying that ".
    My thread had FCC approved words!

13. kipco

I guess i felt Hasbro had the final say in it since it's there product. Maybe there should have a better contract signed for their sake.

14. netkid

News Credits:
    I'm just saying, your original post, and the Thread's title, could offend some people.

Archer said on the tour that he hopes they have better communication with Bay's designers when they work on the sequel. He remarked how the communication on Bay's end took a while to get responses back.

Even the Activision team said the same thing at their panel. The said the game felt rushed and weak because they needed the designs first to then start making the game. They needed the finalized designs to finally start work on scale, how the characters would effect the enviroment due to their various sizes, what weapons they would use, how they would move, their weight, etc.

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

devastator is a better name then brawl... just my opinion.

16. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I still want to know how many kids have asked their parents for Devastator, told them thats the one toy they really want.

They go shopping, see Leader class Brawl, look round, no Devastator. The kid recognises the robot, and points it out as the one he wants. The parent tells him he cant have that one, its not the one he asked for, and they leave.

It really was an obvious 'mistake' Im surprised Hasbro didnt start putting Devastator on their toys. Nevermind, to me he's still Brawl.

17. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Even after asking at least a half dozen separate times in various threads talking about this, I have yet to see a legitimate response as to *how* - not why - Bay was able to have final say on how the name of a character that Hasbro owns appears in "his" movie. It might have been a "mistake" for the theatrical release, but there is no way anyone forgot to correct it for the DVD considering the writers, Hasbro and even Bay himself acknowledged the alleged typo as soon as the movie was released. Add to that, the admin of Bay's own forums (Nelson) said flatout that as far as he knew, Bay kept the name as Devastator because he likes it better.

So again, how in holy hell is a movie director allowed to simply rename a character that Hasbro not only owns all the rights to inside & out, but also spent millions of dollars manufacturing & marketing as a toy of a completely different name? No matter how much creative control Bay evidentially had, and no matter how well the movie did, I just don't see Hasbro giving him the power to rename their property when & where he personally see's fit... especially when Devastator is pretty much on the fan's Top 3 wishlist of characters to show up in a sequel. And even if they do correct it for a later DVD release, it won't matter, the damage has been done now that it's on the current DVD - the one that 99% of people who buy DVD's would have already bought and re-watched. Plus the special features also call him Devastator, thus making it that much more official as opposed to another supposed "mistake".

And no, that's not blind ranting. I am legitimately curious how this happened. Either Hasbro *did* okay it, or there's some legal sh*t about it hitting the fan behind the scenes somewhere. Maybe this can be a question for BotCon 2008 if it's never addressed before then, because there's most certainly more to this than a simple typo.

18. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

if i'm a nazi,something's wrong...i've missed so many meetings!
    :drunk 

19. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

mistake or not, devastator is more fitting for something that huge, just my opinion.

20. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

i just refer to him differently as the timing dictates-for the books and film,devestator,but brawl for the toy and vg character.