Please convince me Soundwave is a good character.

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Rexidus, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's blatantly obvious that I'm a minority in my opinion on Soundwave (so much so that I wasn't planning on even mentioning it again for the foreseeable future). But I keep seeing/hearing people claim this Soundwave is a fantastic character.

I would love to have that opinion, truly I would.

So help me. Explain to me how Soundwave is displaying character of any type. What is it about him that has you enamored?

To me, I have yet to see him do anything that indicates any sort of personality. He is a prop in my eyes. Everything I have heard about why people like him thus far just seems like people projecting their views upon the character rather than judging him for what he has done. I may be wrong, but that is how it seems to me.

I should also mention that I won't be able to check back on this thread for nearly 24 hours so if people ask me specific questions, it will take me a while to respond.

( As a side comment, I have also been very harsh for my dislike of R2-Bee2. I will admit my opinion of him has grown because his face is expressive enough that I can get something from his character. I still dislike him (hence why I still use the insulting name) but I like him a little more than I did. Both Bee and Soundwave need voices though... )

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We can't. He's not a character. He's a prop.

But he's a prop with a damned cool design.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Soundwave's not good.

... he's superior.

4. OptimusPrime108

OptimusPrime108 Autobot Field Commander

Yes, yes he is

5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    He's a creeper.

6. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Speaking of which, you know what Soundwave likes about highschool kids?

7. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Soundwave's silence is what develops his character. It shows that he's very cunning, and only needs to twist others' words to get his point across. You can clearly tell he wants to be all up in e'rybody's bui'ness, like that annoying bright eyed brunette chick from your middle school that gossips and spreads rumors. R2B2 though just seems like a movie ripoff to me though, except he can't use radio clips so it takes the fun out of the character. Both have amazingly great designs though.

8. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

Do you listen to the WTF@TFW Primetime podcasts, by any chance? Their thoughts on Soundwave are basically the same as my own.

9. ahunmaster

ahunmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that his design and his mysteriousness are what draw people to him.

Kinda like the dark, good-looking, silent guy that doesn't mix and mingle with the main crowd.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I hope you are not implying it's because they are nubile and ripe.

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Podcasts are biased though, due to Vangelus having a gigantic mancrush on Soundwave! :lol 

12. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Oh, I honestly didn't have the punchline planned out. In this case, that's the reader's job.

13. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

Well then, who better to tell Ryoku about why they think Soundwave is a good character than someone who absolutely loves what they've done with this Soundwave? :wink: 

14. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Prime-Soundwave HAS shown personality, just not much of it.

Until know, what we know about him:

- His loyalty to Megatron is total, to the point he'll arge with Starscream on what he should do [he did that once in Darkness Rising when Starscream ordered him to increase global surveillance].

- He is always watching, always [besides his obvious attitude when it comes to Starscream and the fact he tracks almost every dialologue uttered by someone out of the Autobot base, Megatron pointed that out in words in Rock Bottom].

- He is a resourceful manipulator [alluded by Megatron and shown on-screen].

- He is efficient [he never failed at any task given] and emotionless [never showed any emotion to his acts, or hesitation].

- He is also "meaningful": Everything he does, even the slightest gesture, carries weight [that trait is obvious].

- He is a silent plotter, meaning he doesn't reveal crap.

- He. Is. Creepy. [understatement].

Combine everything and you have quite an awesome thug: Loyal, emotionless, manipulative, resourceful and a silent watcher.

As for not showing any character, I recommend you this video:

this.

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's more just curiosity and anticipation for what he's going to do after being continuously creepy and manipulative rather than his actual character. That's why I like him anyway.

Just like he has mancrush on Jeffrey Combs?

16. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Exactly. The anticipation is sexy.

17. lordjimmybob

lordjimmybob Well-Known Member

We need more of him. We get references of him doing stuff behind the scenes, but we don't get to see him. I would like to see him confront Optimus during a mission and replay recordings of what the autobots said about him. Like when Ratchet exploded at him for putting human lives before their own. Other episodes in the future may present scenerios where the autobots questioned Optimus or talked behind his back. Then Optimus becomes doubtful of himself. This would show alot of cunning for Soundwave making him more manipulative and scheming.

18. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Well, I would personally love that, when this show concludes, the final image flickers a little bit and the entire screen zooms out to reveal Soundwave, hundreds of years later, and it reveals that the entire story of Prime was shown through his eyes. Then he would TRULY be the ultimate creeper. It's cheesy, but it could totally be possible.
    Or maybe I shouldn't think out loud.
    :confused2 

19. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

What we have seen of TFP Soundwave has been cool but I think we need to see more of him to get a sense of purpose from him. He has done nothing and we need see him do something awesome not just hear that he has done it.

A big problem is that he seems shoved in the show merely because the fans like him not because he is needed. He has no purpose in the show and is a spy with nowhere to spy.

He shows less emotion than any other Soundwave, which seems very hard to do. However I do love how angry he looked at Starscream in "Sick Mind" without having a face or actually saying anything.

What doesn't help my opinion of him is that he seems like a rip off of Snake Eyes from G.I.Joe. The comment about his legs looking like Arcees may have been a one off joke but it is also a permanent fact about him.

As a fan of Soundwave I say that TFP Soundwave is the third worst incarnation of him.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Prior to this show premiering, I despised the Soundwave design. That was my first glace at the character.

Soundwave has become one of my favorite characters on the show, for many of the reasons those of you have posted above. I am enamored with the trait of him recording voices and using the playbacks to speak. When he "speaks", it's very minimal, thus only giving us hints to his character which further adds to his mystique.

I really hope that the show just continues to sprinkle things of Soundwave here and there, slowly developing him. Sometimes, less is more. In Soundwave's case, it's what has made me fascinated by him.