Customs: Please answer

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SonOfNemesis, Jan 13, 2010.

1. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

I was searching for info about spraying Model Masters 'Lacquer Overcoat' on my acrylic painted/enamel painted transformers. This is what I found:

Can I paint with lacquer spray over a model coated with acrylic or enamel paint?
    Please do not apply a lacquer overcoat, as it could
    damage the acrylic or enamel paint layers.

From this website: http://www.tamiya.com/english/customer/cs_top.htm

This is sort of what the can looks like, it actually says on the can, "Model Master Lacquer Overcoat" (semi-gloss).

Is this accurate or what because I heard that you can use lacquer overcoat.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010
  2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Answer: You can, but it's tricky, you have to do very light mist coats first, and make sure the paints that you're covering have been dry for a while before covering with a lacquer paint. Also, not to be rude, but this should have gone over to the Radicons General Discussion.

3. SonOfNemesis

Thanks for the answer, and sorry about posting in the wrong spot, I must've overlooked that.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No worries I'm sure. Just don't so it again :lol . kidding!! But I hope my answer helps out!!

5. SonOfNemesis

Actually, I was wondering...would you guys use a lacquer or just a gloss protectant like Krylon? I'm not so sure I'll even use the lacquer if there's no real benefit over the other stuff (like the Krylon sealer).

6. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Actually, Krylon now makes a Fusion Clearcoat!!!

Awesome stuff, goes on smooth and clear, and not too glossy either. Highly recommended! I found mine at my local ACE hardware, as it wasn't at Wal-mart yet. :thumb 

7. SonOfNemesis

Good to know, I'll get a can of that myself!

8. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I never "seal" Transformers, and I've painted alot of them. With the paints you are using, especially model master, you shouldn't need any sealant, and in fact it just adds another layer of thickness that makes it easier to scratch imo.

If you have any areas like joints that seem to scratch, which should be rare, then just sand them a little before painting.

9. SonOfNemesis

That's interesting info about sealing figures though I have only put on 2 very light coats.

I was under the impression that it's good to seal the paint in to at least preserve some color? Maybe I am completely wrong as I am fairly new to this.

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ehh, kinda yes and kinda no SoN.. lol... son.. What, oh right. It does some what protect your paint from light, and fading the color a LITTLE bit. But it also depends on where the custom is displayed.. As long as it's out of direct sun light It will take less time for it to fade, which is true for even plastic and factory paint applications. And besides that, it take a LLLOOOOONG time for paints to fade out man. If all you're worried about is fading, I wouldn't worry about the dull coat to much if the paint is already a flat color.