Pleasantly surprised or horribly disappointed?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by MTME, May 19, 2012.

1. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know there is a thread more specifically to movie trailers but I am talking about the movies themselves.

Has there been a movie where you were totally excited to see and thought it would totally rock and you would love it, only to have the movie suck??

And what about the opposite, went to a movie either because your significant other dragged you to it or you went because ah well nothing else was at the movies and ended up really liking it?

So give me your one horrible disappointment and your one pleasantly surpise!
    It doesn't have to be from just this year, it could be form whenever

Here's mine:

Horrible disappointment:
    Dark Shadows, really wanted to like it....but didn't
    Phantom of the Opera, being a musical theater expert and Phantom being my favorite musical I knew I would be going into this with a critical eye and I didn't like it......at all.

Pleasant surprise:
    21 Jumpstreet, way funnier than I thought it would be
    Team America, my husband dragged me to iy, we went to two movies that day, one movie was mine and one was his, I ended up hating mine (though I can't remember what it was) and ended up loving his which was Team America, I still get the songs so easily stuck in my head "America Fuck yah! Here to save, the mother fucknig day yah!" LOL

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Disappointment: Sucker Punch.

Wanted so badly to enjoy it. I can relate better than most to the movie's 'escapism amidst hardship' theme, as I'm severely guilty of losing myself in fantasy as a defense mechanism against traumatic situations. Unfortunately, the film had too many flaws for me to give it high marks. Using three planes of reality was unnecessarily complex; it would have done much better to either cut the brothel out altogether or use it as the 'real world'. The twist with Sweet Pea was way too contrived for me; you've made me invest so much attention in Baby Doll, then you suddenly switch the focus to this other girl whom I barely got to know or care about? Weak. Let's not even go into the poor delivery of what was a generally bad script, the over-use of slow-mo, and how none of the protagonists could truly inspire a connection from me. The dragon and her child being killed rubbed me the wrong way, too, but never mind that.

Pleasant surprise: The Matrix.

Went in completely not knowing what to expect. Exited the theatre in a state of complete awe.

3. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would have to agree with you on the Matrix, my mom took me to it and I thought it was one of those movies I would be lost in and not understand being as that I coulnd't really understand what it was by the previews but I ended up loving it. The sequels....not so much.

Another disappointment for me would be Inception. I menitoned it before that the trailer was one of the best traielrs I've ever seen in my life but I disliked the movie, got lost, didn't understand it and even fell asleep at one point......just like Green Lantern but I wasn't expecting much from Green Lantern especially after seeing the cgi mask and suit I was like really? We are supposed to think realistically with this movie (which is why Nolan's Dark Knight and Marvel movies do so well) but with so much being cgi I couldn't take it even the remotely tiniest grain of salt realistically. The writing and acting were horrible too. I love Blake Lively (she is actually one of my former students from Burbank High) but she sucked in this. Now she is sucking Ryan Reynolds...sorry that was too far...oh well

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Dissapointment:

Transformers ROTF and DOTM

Surprised:

Green Lantern

5. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Disappointment: ROTF

Surprised: The Avengers

6. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This. So much.

7. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Disappointed:

Watchmen: I'm not a major fan of the Alan Moore work, but even in reading V for Vendetta, Moore is a man who likes to interconnect the world, and make it seem smaller than it actually is (they kind of hit on this in the film of V), but Watchmen just made me feel that Snyder is more about style over substance. He got the visual cadences down, but the connective tissue of the story got lost. Plus, I feel one of the strongest moments is in the final exchange between Ozymandias and Dr Manhattan. In the film, it's glossed over with just a minor aside line.

Spider-man (2002). Every other person I was going to college with at the time was saying how amazing it was. I saw it, but it never gelled for me. Sam Raimi made Evil Dead and Army of Darkness work, but Spider-Man just felt so disjointed, and don't get me started on every other hot woman walking the streets or the overly-patriotic, over-acting extras.

Fantastic Four: From what I remember, it really felt mediocre. I was waiting to be pleasantly surprised, but it seemed for the most part, the 4 were basically a bunch of people going, 'Oh, I didn't want these superpowers, and now I have them...what will I do? Wah-wah-wah.'

As well as the whole thing with Ben Grimm and his wife, not to mention the obligatory 'hey, you're invisible but not your clothes, take em' off to be fully invisible, oops, you're visible in panties and bra' scene. That was as subtle as Mary Jane caught in the rain.

Superman Returns: Bryan Singer seemed to be trying to make the film be more serious, but match up to the Richard Donner films. But in the end, it doesn't feel like there's much emotion going on, just alot of neat imagery. Though I feel there's an underlying current about trying to find where you came from, only to realize home is where people care about you.

8. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Disappointment: Transformers dotm

surprised: Major pain

9. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Disappointed: War of the Worlds (2005)

Surprised: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance & Secret of Kells

10. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Disappointed: Alien 3- I wasn't born when the movie originally came out, but I saw the first two Alien movies in the quadrilogy DVD set and I loved both of them. I took a quick look at the original Alien 3 teaser trailer (the one that said it would be on Earth. Before I watched it, I was thinking "this movie is going to be the best thing ever." Then, I watched it. I did not like hardly any of it. The fact that they basically kill everyone off is just so frustrating and the movie doesn't raise the stakes or make the story very personal.

X-men 3- I thought it would be an amazing conclusion to the X-men trilogy. However, I think it had some of the same problems that Alien 3 had such as killing characters in a way that distracts you from the rest of the movie. Plus, the characters do things that there characters would probably never do. The ending is also stupid with the chessboard "stinger." Angel had little to no purpose in the movie at all.

Surprised: Green Lantern- the trailers made it look bad, but I had a fun time with it. It wasn't great, but I thought it was good.

11. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Disapointed: X-Men 3, Spider-Man 3 [similar reasons: Both took an excellent comic book storyarc and ruined it] Fantastic Four the Rise of the Silver surfer, Inception [it was still excellent, just not the utter masterpiece everybody ranked it up to be].

Surprised: Fantastic Four 1 [Now let me explain this one: From the trailers, I expected a godawful movie, turns out the movie was just very average and bland], The Matrix Sequels [everyone hated them, I found them surprisingly enjoyable], Night Skies [very unknown B-Movie, from the cover it looked horrible, but the movie is actually pretty solid, and has some very creepy moments], Cats and Dogs [It's not excellent, but the James Bond parody parts amused me, especially that Russian Murderous Cat].

Real Steel and Ghost Rider 2 are funny examples: When the trailers came out, I remember everyone saying those movies would suck, I had a feeling Real Steel would be amazing and GR II would be fun. I was right.

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Disappointed: Reign of Fire. I wanted to see military versus dragons. Not a bunch of britsh rednecks in a castle. I had hope once the americans arrived, but in the middle of the movie the male dragon slays the entire military convoy. Fuck that piece of shit.

13. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

disappointed: inception. all the hype and internet memes around this movie. i shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. just boring.

The last airbender. i had high hopes about it because i foolish thought that M. night Shamalan was a good director. i just pretend it doesn't exist in the the atla franchise.

surprised: Zombieland. i was thinking "oh great, another zombie film about clueless group of survives who barely try to stay alive" boy was i wrong. i was glad i was wrong. zombieland is awesome!

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Gotta agree with OB, here, M. I found the sequels were perfectly good films, at least they were to me. Although I was really bummed about Trinity dying and Neo presumed to be such.

Another disappointment: V for Vendetta.

I was privileged enough to read the draft script for the movie some time before the movie itself was released. I could've wept with joy. It was an almost word-for-word, scene-for-scene adaptation of the comic book. If the movie adhered to this script, I daresay even Alan Moore would've been pleased. You can read it for yourself here:

V for Vendetta Script at IMSDb.

My first viewing of the trailer only made me more pumped. Holy shit, they haven't just gotten the story down pat, they've gotten the visuals down pat, too. Those fight scenes looked so damned impressive. I couldn't wait to watch the film.

And when I finally did, boy, was I disappointed. They wound up using a different, altered script that deviated from the original and totally watered down Moore's themes. To this day, I have no idea why the draft was ditched. Doing so was a terrible, terrible mistake.

15. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

My opinion on V For Vendetta is this: It is an excellent movie on its own right, but not a good adaptation of Moore's work. Very simple.

It's basically the opposite of my opinion on Watchmen [good adaptation, but not a good movie].

16. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Pleasantly Surprised: Real Steel

Disappointed: RotF

17. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Disappointed:

Sucker Punch
    Drive
    Haywire
    Transformers
    Transformers Revenge of the Fallen
    Wolverine
    All of the Star Wars prequels
    The Matrix
    Watchmen
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    The Hangover 2
    All of the original Spider-Man movies
    Indiana Jones 4
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (American)
    Ocean's 12

Surprised:

The Social Network
    The Change-Up
    Terminator Salvation
    Black Swan
    Star Trek (Reboot)
    Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol
    Transformers Dark of the Moon

18. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nacht, that's cool you guys are entitled to your opinion, it's cool if you liked the sequels, I just didn't care for them

I was also plesantly surprised by the Star Trek reboot, that weas one I thought I was going to go in all hella critical being a trekkie and all but I loved it

Real Steel as well surprised me a LOT. I took my son to it because he really wanted to see it I was indifferent about seeing it. I thought it might be too formulaic and do the whole the robot is alive thing but it was a really great story and it ended up being one of my top five of the year.

19. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Surprised:
    Star Trek (2009 remake) - never was into any Star Trek (except for Voyager for some reason) but found the remake great.

TF: DOTM - after ROTF, didnt think this would be that great but i was wrong

Disappointed:
    TF: ROTF - TF was really good and this was the total opposite.

Spider-Man 3 - 1&2 i enjoyed, 3 had great the black costume and Venom...but nothing about this movie i liked.

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Not really. I don´t care if people fap over Moore´s works. Most of his comics are depressing as fuck. At least V in the movie was a sympathetic freedom fighter who went out like a big damn hero and the movie ended in a positive note.