Playstation Plus

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Stune, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just subscribed for the Year (+3 months) that Sony's offering. Lucked out and had a 25 dollar credit sitting on my Reward Zone account.

So, in actuality, I'm paying 1.60 a month for this thing, and it feels really great. The value just seems exponentially there, and completely worth it even though I've only had it for a few hours.

Anyone else in love with the value? Disagree with it? Excited for the potential of even better offerings from Sony?

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I didn't realize Kevin Butler posted here.

Seriously, what in the last 120 minutes has screamed 'value' to you?

I just think it's funny that for years I heard 'Well, PSN is free! Free I tell you."
    And now here is a post "I am more than happy to pay for PSN. The value is exponentially greater than the free service."

Can't freakin believe it.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I really don't see any value in it, aside from the cloud storage (handy for saves that won't let you copy them). Even if you're really into the games they discount, you have to buy a shitload of them to make back the cost of Playstation Plus, and actually start saving money.

Also, the "free" games you get as a plus member get locked out the second your membership expires.

4. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It can't be Kevin Butler posting. There's no METDLR code to unlock the ps3 in that post .

5. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they end up offering anything close to the games they've already given away then I probably won't have a problem paying the 50 again when that time comes June of next year.

I didn't end up paying much for it anyway, and I'm just excited to see what else is being offered.

It may not be the most optimal thing for everyone, but for someone like me who already frequents the PSN store, it is quite a boon. While I could probably track down Spyro 3, its really convenient to just be able to download it, without having to pay. Comet Crash is pretty fun too.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm not laughing at you personally, I promise.
    It's just the situation.
    For years the default argument against XBL was the price.
    Now, Sony is charging for PSN 'extras' and somehow the eleven year old Spyro 3 makes it worth paying for.

SMH...

7. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wholeheartedly believe you.

I guess I just don't see the problem in paying for something that's totally supplemental by choice as opposed to paying for something out of near necessity.

If I were paying for the ability to play games online I'd be righteously pissed.

8. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

agreed

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes because the subscription for live was just to be online and be on Netflix "which I just found out was part of gold since my gold expired and I lost Netflix." This is like Sam's club. You get extra shit and wether you find that extra shit valuable or not, you have a choice that involves not having it but still being able to play online and use Netflix, hulu etc etc. If you think Spyro is the only free things we've been getting then you guys haven't been paying attention. I have had a ps3 since launch, so I have been buying games left and right from the store, and even after that, the Plus service has paid for itself and then some.

When the game Stacker (an awesome adventure game) launched (for 15 bucks), Plus got it free (on launch day). Then we got all 5 Sam and Max episodes free. This doesn't factor in avatars, themes, wallpapers (and yes, the avatars are valuable ones, like Street Fighter, Uncharted, Resident Evil). Yes plus members lose those games after your year, but like I said, I lost the ability to use Netflix last month, something I can use on my iPhone for free. On top of the "new" free games I got from plus, I have had enough discounts on new games, Dynamic themes, avatars, that I can keep after my service expires. Altogether I'd say those discounts have equaled 20 bucks or more, with castle crashers being half off etc etc.

This past week they started making the "trial" games up to date with a new release so you can essentially rent a brand new release before buying it.

So I dunno about Kevin butler up there but the difference is I have a choice to use it and still play online with my friends and not lose Netflix or hulu, or not use it and still get the same. But by using it I have gotten my money returned to me. While with Live, I haven't received any monetary value in return, just the ability to continue what I was previously doing, which now I can't. I'll renew when Gears comes out for that very reason, because I get nothing else out of it. Again. The difference doesn't have to cause fan rage. Live is a robust service to play online in a steady service. Plus is a Sam's Club discount club where you get free shit and discounts, betas and other freebies. I got a free new release game for valentines day for example. No the shit aint "free" because you pay for the service, but the additive value over the year way surpases the amount you spend even if you only factor in discounts. PS3 is still free to play online. So this is a different thing than Live. No one is making excuses, after having said that you have to pay for Live. It's just simply that the two things are quite different, because I can't watch netflix on my 360, because my live expired.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think it's stupidity itself that Microsoft still attaches a Gold membership to Netflix -particularly when there are now 1000 other devices with which to watch Netflix.

Live also has quietly had a rewards system for several months now.
    I've gotten MS points put back into my account based on games I've bought or movies I've rented.

I actually hope PSN Plus does phenomenally well so Microsoft will do something to follow suit.
    But I can't avoid the irony of hearing PSN users now say they are happy to pay for it, when the default argument for so long was 'PSN is free!'

Even though neither you nor Kevin Butler (Stune) were specifically stating that argument.
    And even though I loves you.

You're my own personal David Hasselhoff.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm glad I'm labeled as Hasselhoff and not Butler. I like Butler, but I'd rather be Hasslehoff.

Like I said, this whole Plus thing isn't even worth a nerd argument (not as much as the Han Shoots First debate I wanted to post in the movie forum). It's apples and buffalo wings. One is a strong online service that warrants its charge with stable online service. The other is a Cosco Membership. Except, you can still go into the Cosco store, but you have to pay full price for your stuff... Maybe that's more like Albertson. Well, you're a texan, so you're familiar with both, lol

12. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Square peg...Meet round hole. People keep trying to equate PS Plus with XBL. The only things similar between them is that you pay for them and if your subscription ends, you lose the benefits that were offered. That's pretty much the sole similarity. The services they provide are in no way similar.

With XBL, the draw of it is that it grants you access to their online functionality. A very important part of gaming for people who want something beyond a single player gaming only experience. If you stop paying, you lose your previously acquired functionality.

With PS Plus, it's solely an add on for added content. For those that desire online functionality and entertainment add-ons, it's right there out of the box with no extra payments to Sony required. PS Plus offers free and discounted content for the duration of your membership. Some of it you keep (themes, avatars, discounts), some you keep while you're a member only (free games).

In most ways, PS Plus is closer to a digital "Gamefly" than it is XBL.

13. CommandoNinja13

CommandoNinja13 Marvel vs Capcom!

lots of free stuff PS plus FTW

14. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Considering you get absolutely NOTHING for the XBox 360 pay to play cost, yeah, the PS3's is awesome. They give free games out, and you get discount on other titles. FAR better than the XBox 360's XBox Death... er... Lifeless....err... Live.

15. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    I signed up for this in April and I have not regretted it!

16. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    *Sigh*...what do you mean by this?

17. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    All depends on how big of a hole and a square you draw. They are comparable in some sense. There are many game offers that are only made to 'Gold Members' on XBox Live, including discounts for buying and rewards for buying. PS3 does the same thing, except they give some games away for free, and offer discounts on others.

The value they offer is what we should compare, and the pegs towards that topic should be the same.

Most don't realize how little Microsoft really offers. Leaderboards and the ability to connect via point to point. That's cheap as heck to maintain. Literally about $1 per year per person based on the scale they have. It's nowhere near what the are charging which is what, $39.99 or so? At least PS3 gives you some free games right away, and every month or so (not quite sure as to the frequency) to justify the cost of the service.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if you're paying to access the free games, they are not free games.

19. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Just checked my account management and found the auto payment to be on, since I am on one month free PS Plus period I was glad I checked.

20. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I paid once for Xbox Live Gold. Never again. That was one of the biggest rip offs I have ever been suckered into. Playing multilayer was the same experience as Steam or PSN, only XBL Gold is $50 a year for the privilege. I honestly cannot believe that people pay for it. The diarrhea icing on the shit cake that is Xbox Live Gold is that the dashboard ads are still there after paying their ransom to use the console's advertised features. That pissed me off since day 1.

However, since looking at the PS+ and getting the free month, I am actually thinking of signing up for it for a year. The free games thing might just be worth it.