Playstation Plus - What's In It

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
  2. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Could care less about Playstation Plus. I just want to know when (or if) they ever plan to release PS2 games from the store.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Look, maybe it's a situation of "The grass isn't as green as you think it is", but lately I've been on my 360 a lot more than normal (for WFC and some other games), and I don't mind admitting that X game chat is better "had and not needed, than needed and not had," but FUCK x/Game chat.

This isn't speaking to anyone in particular, because this happens with everyone, but I log into my 360 and someone wants me to join their party. My fiance and I want to watch Netflix (someone wants me to join their party), I want to play Mass Effect (A single player game) and someone wants me to join their party. I'm playing a completely different multiplayer game, and someone playing another game wants me to join their party.

Again, I am not referring to anyone in particular because some are from this board and others are people I know personally. But really, it's like when people got pagers, everyone was getting paged, so if everyone gets this cross game crap, everyone feels the need to talk, when sometimes you just want to play a story-driven single player by yourself.

Yes, you can ignore people (and feel bad about it) or make yourself invisible (which prevents you from getting invites to games you may actually want to play), but that's too much effort. And don't get me started on actually being in a party and then joining a game that has it's own chat, while other people are playing another multiplayer game while chatting in your party.

I'm completely 100% No Bullshit perfectly fine with chat existing only within the games you are playing and simply getting a quick email saying "Join my game". Also the movie party thing is awesome on 360, but not me watching a movie with my fiance while chatting with the guys on Live....

Sony should give it to us so people stop asking for it, but now I know I will use it little to none at all. Slam me all you want, but no thanks. I thought it would be awesome before, and the concept sounds great, but not anymore. Again, no offense to anyone here, because it's not just my TFW buds sending me invites every five minutes.

edit: Sorry about the bug-eyed thing, I'll be in my office.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Oh I understand why it's not the end all be all of awesome, but Sony has been teasing us with it for years so it's about time they just man up and get it out there.

I mean, I personally can only see myself using it for Co-Oping in Demon's Souls, which don't have an in game voice chat feature or while playing single player games and talking to friends...though it would also be real helpful in FFXIV too

But for any game with supported voice chat MP, I'd just use that and talk to the people I'm playing with.

The only reason it's even an issue though is because Sony keeps bringing it up and then dropping the ball. If you're going to add it, add it already gdi, stop saying one thing then doing another.

5. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Really? Press the big X button, scroll the tabs over to Preferences, set online status to "Appear Offline" and there you go. Takes like 10 seconds. I do it like that all the time when I feel like keeping to myself.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You misunderstand completely. I know it's easy to make yourself invisible (as in the act of doing so). What is a hassle is making yourself invisible, but if you're waiting for friends to play WFC (for example), keeping an eye on who's on so they know you're on and send you an invite (since you're invisible and all).

You can also tell people you're busy, or simply ignore them, but the next time I log in, it's the same thing, even with 360 does the job of letting people know that I am on Netflix (obviously watching something, thus, not wanting to talk while watching it). That's the hassle, and I explained it in my original post. I know it's a few button presses to execute invisible status.

7. Galaxy Convoy

Ah, I get ya. I dunno what to do about that then.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm just bitching, lol. I do that a lot, hahaha. I still think it's better to have it and not need it, than not have it at all.

But here's a thought. What if instead of invisible or ignoring people, there was a status for "Not accepting party invites" or an automatic setting that sent invitees a message "not taking chat invites at this time." That way you don't have to explain to everyone why you're ignoring them, and they will just know you don't feel like chatting with anyone at that time.

9. Galaxy Convoy

Hmm, you may able to do something like that. If you go to your privacy settings in the main dashboard before starting a game, there's an option for who you want to receive voice and text chat from - Everyone, Friends Only, or Block Everyone. That MIGHT include game and party invites. Not certain though, the description is kinda vague and just says you'll still receive friend requests and system messages. No idea if game and party invites are "system messages" though.

10. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Noisemaze Collector

News Credits:
    Don't think I've heard someone complain about having friends that want to have social interaction before...

Can it be annoying at times? Sure, but that just proves how easy XBL makes grouping up with friends, which is the point. If you don't want to play, just ignore the invites and turn off notifications during video in your options.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, the ease of grouping with friends has given me the exact same experience on both systems (they are both easy, no matter what PR tells you), except that I simply get invited to a game, click ok, and I'm there, and chat kicks in, not get invited into two different party chats, when I simply want to play Mass Effect Alone.

It's the "Can it be annoying at times" that bugs me. And as I've said, I can ignore, or turn off notifications, but I've explained how that's not the point, because if I ignore, they keep coming from different people, and if I turn off notifications completely, then I miss an invite to a game.

This is happening now, not an experience from weeks ago. I'm waiting for someone to log in and play WFC, and I'm getting 3 invites for chat, and when I ignore them (which I don't like doing) they keep coming.

Saying it's a complaint about having friends and socializing with them is missing the point completely. Of course I like that, but gaming is either online playing together or single player playing alone. I don't see the point in playing two different multiplayer games and voice chatting. I don't see how people even make sense of "Watch your back," or "There's a weapon pickup right there" when someone is playing COD and someone else is playing WFC and both groups are in party chat.

again, better to have it and not need it, but I sure as heck don't need it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  12. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Noisemaze Collector

News Credits:
    I'm not saying I disagree, because I'm much the same way. I just thought it was a strange thing to pick out and go into detail about when it's not really the fault of the system.

<shrug>

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, not at all. It's not a rip on 360. I am lovin' my 360 right now. It's just that particular aspect of the chat. I think the Netflix party viewing is fucking awesome. I just wish there was a way to temporarily block calls, for lack of better terms. Or a polite (I'm here, but not available to talk)

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I've always thought that's what the 'away' was.
    And, you can disable notifications during videos and the console remembers that setting.

But, yeah, I do get confused by all the party chat.
    Particularly if it's someone playing Modern Warfare while we are in War for Cybertron. If he is on the Party Channel, what's the point of yelling at the Modern Warfare players?

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We need to watch the Care Bear movie in party chat. That won't annoy me.

16. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prowl what is with the cheeta with green hair?

I don't care about the X game chat I want some DLC DAMMIT!

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    World Cup, dude.