Playstation Plus - What's In It

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Nope we don't. And by the sound of it i'm guessing thats a good thing :) 

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We go to BJ's my favorite store name gets me all excited just thinking about it.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's the physical version of PSPlus. You could go to Wal-Mart and buy your stuff, or you can pay Sam's Club every year for a membership to get it a bit cheaper and in bulk.

Honestly, though, Sam's Club is worth it, because you can get a 360 for like 5 bucks with like 10 games packed in.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    There's still a nonconsensus of what you get with the service.
    And we're computer nerds.

Yes it was. :thumb 
    That was awesome when I made like Governor Ventura with the chain gun.

5. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Who doesn't like a good BJ? :p 

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A Sam's Club member.

I did see an interesting opinion from a new PS3 owner on IGN, who pretty much felt that after buying the PLUS, and then getting Wipeout, those PS1 and Mini games, he pretty much got him money's worth from the first month.

That said, it's worthless to me as an early adopter because I owned Wipeout day one... BUT, if for example next month a new release on PSN was free to me, then I'd start seeing the value... Also, if say a new title, like WFC had the (try for an hour before you buy), then I would also be inclined to try it because I could seriously judge a game before buying it in more than a contained demo capacity. BUT, unless they start showing commitment by including new material, I won't be payin' shit.

Tell your buddy that I wasn't feelin' his Prime. I felt like he lacked confidence, and sometimes I questioned his orders. :lol 

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  7. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Do you lose wipeout after your membership expires?

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe that certain games you lose, but I have no idea (nor have bothered checking) how that works, but I did read an interview about some of that.

I don't completely blame them, in that, if say they offered 20 games free in the future and you signed up for 3 months and downloaded them all, I'm certain they want to prevent that.

However it would be nice if for example, you could keep the PS1 games or something.

9. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Glad to hear that it's nothing more then a digital Pathmark card with early demos.

Had me worried for a sec....

10. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

It does worry me though. I can't help but feel that they're testing the water. Obviously it would be seen as a huge dick move to just up and start charging for online play all of a sudden. But it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out this is the first step in their plan to gradually ease PS3 owners into it.

Hope I'm wrong though, and Plus stays the way it is, just a premium service offering extra bells and whistles.

11. Optimus_Prime

Optimus_Prime Roll out!

Yes, but you can keep your gamesave and redownload (or reactivate?) the game if you re-up later. Kind of like borrowing a game from a friend--that has a lot of games but demands $50 a year or you give his games back (until you pony up some more cash for his gaming fix).

From what I've read, all the "free" games are like this. You have access to them while you are a member, though you have to be a member and download the game during the time the game is available for free. It's not like you'll get Wipeout for free later this year if you wait to subscribe (doubtful they'll let the free games accumulate so that late subscribers can cherry pick). So, if you ever want any of the "free" games (for the duration of your membership), you'll need to be a member during the month that game is made available for free (and download it).

Discounted stuff you pay for (and perhaps free DLC, but I'm not sure) is yours forever.

12. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Eh, I guess this is good for some, but hope it doesn't portend future changes to the free PSN. Of course this sort of thing has been tried before and didn't work out very well.

13. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anything that is free other than DLC you lose once you cancel your membership. Everything you purchased with your Plus discount is yours forever.

I wipe my ass with Pathmark cards (I thought it was Hallmark?) they are such a waste of money. My wife hates it when I say that but they are. Yes dear I don't care for you anymore cause I didn't get you a card. Sorry touchy subject with me.

I do think that is what they are doing but I can't see it happening in this generation of consoles. It would be to much of a negative push back and a lot of angry players. If there is a PS4 I'd put money on a paid online service.

14. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If your subscription lapses, you keep any avatars, themes, wallpapers, DLC or discount purchases. You lose access to any games or demos but keep the trophies earned (if applicable).

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We got our reward check from AT&T for Uverse and I went for the 15 months. I already owned Wipeout, but I got that Zombie Mini game for my PSP and Rally Cross. I like the Qore magazine thingy and I'm hoping they don't release ancient "Try before you buy" games in the future. AT&T paid for it, so I don't mind testing the waters, and it's 15 months for getting it early.

Nothing special at this point, to be sure, but if AT&T paid for it, I don't mind. I got a collective 10 bucks back for the two games I got free (even if I would have not bought them were it not for the PLUS) :) 

edit: Here is a question though. The PSP isn't rooted to any internet, so if I get a PSONE game and move it to my PSP, and my subscription expires, will the PSP copy know to "stop" working? Does it have a timer based on my subscription that knows when it expires and will it require a reactivation, should I resubscribe? Might be that you can hide your PS1 games in your PSP and prevent disintegration.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  16. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    U.S. Kuro and Toro or GTFO!! :D 

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno what that means, but UK gets a better deal with LBP. Even if I already have that game, that seems like a more universal incentive, in that Wipeout was built just for me and Smang.

18. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well the UK gets to keep LBP while the US get three months. I already own LBP so the three months work better for me.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, three months of what? Wipeout? I thought the game was free until the subscription ended?

20. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I'm just hoping they announce official lists of what they'll be giving next month in advanced. Personally I'm waiting it out before I jump in as the only things worth it to me right now would be Wipeout (which I actually don't have yet) and some of the discounts. If next months offering allow me to get another free game I want but don't have and offer strong discounts as well (and confirm whether their hour long demo thing will stick with worthwhile games) then I'd probably hop in then in an attempt to catch the 3 free months.

Also, they really need to sort out exactly what they hell they're gonna do with cross game chat. If it was offered in PSN+ like it was initially planned I would have easily jumped in already (would be great to co-op in Demon's Souls with it) but as of now they still don't have a clue when they'll be giving it to us or if they'll even charge for it or not.

Three free months of PSN+

NA and UK versions end up getting different things. I.E. I don't think the UK version is getting the hour long Infamous demo/DL.