Playstation 3's Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Paladin, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I hate myself a tiny bit for thinking this, but lately I've been growing more & more impressed with the PS3 & its capabilities.

However, since two years have already passed since its introduction I can't help but wonder if (by this point) it might just be easier to save up and wait for the inevitable PlayStation 4.

What do you think- how much shelf life does PS3 have???

2. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Sony states they have a 10 year plan. With Bluray coming down in price, I see the ps3 getting a stronger base soon.

3. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I agree. I'm waiting after the Xmas rush (for monetary reasons) to jump on the nex-gen bandwagon. I plan on getting a PS3 in January and it will serve as my blu-ray player and gaming console.

4. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

As Stated above Sony says 10yr Lifespan. Xbox maybe following suit with the NXE Download that revamps the 360.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    more and more blue ray movies are dropping in price and so are the players; with the PS3 being able to receive updates, and having some serious hardware, Id expect it to be around for a while

6. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    The PS3 is the best selling Blue ray player so I guess that as long as blue ray stays on the market.

7. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

Like they said it'll probably be a long time till ps4, maybe itll be out by 2014-2016, Xbox however i believe they will release a new one in 09-10

8. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, considering up until last year they were still making good PS2 titles I'd say the PS3 has plenty of life left in her.

9. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah, Blu-Ray has won the Hi-Def DVD wars, but... is it going to win against the inevitable application of Download terminals for Movies? Like, you just take your iPod or phone to a kiosk, plug it in and select your movies, pay for them, and then they get downloaded to your media player. Done! You have new movies to watch.

10. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I have been playing mine to death since I got it back in June. Haven't regretted it a bit, even more so now that my 360 has red ringed TWICE.

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

It is important to remember that just because Sony says the PS3 has a 10 year lifespan, that doesn't mean they won't release the PS4 until 2016. Sony has a different strategy than the other console manufacturers, they continue to make hardware and software for years after a console's successor is already on the market. They were still making PS1 hardware up until 2 or 3 years ago, and intend to keep PS2 on the market for another couple of years yet. So even though Sony considers the PS3 a viable platform for 10 years, you should expect a PS4 to show up in 3 or 4 years.

The question is, do you really want to wait that long? Don't forget that launches are rarely populated with tons of great games. It usually takes a system a year or two to warm up. You could be waiting 4 years for the PS4 only to wait another year+ for some good games to play on it. PS3 is really just hitting its stride now. I would suggest you get on board the train now.

12. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, but the quality of those movies is usually less than standard def.

Despite what pundits say, digital downloads and video on demand have a LOOOONG way to go before they're on par with Blu-ray.

13. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I do have to say, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of getting a PS3. I'll probably be doing the same thing Hook's doing: wait 'til January after the Christmas rush, so I can finally own both a Blu-Ray Player and another gaming console.

And since the only game I ever plan on BUYING is Metal Gear Solid 4 (though there are rumors that it may come out on the 360, according to IGN), I'll have saved a fortune on buying PS3 games that are also on the 360. I do have some questions that are PS3-related, though...

1. Are the 40GB and 80GB versions the only ones on the market right now? If so, is the 80GB PS3 backwards compatible with PS2 games and such? I know the 40GB PS3 had its backwards compatibility gutted.

2. Is it possible to play PS1 games on a PS3? If so, which version?

3. Can the PS3 play DVDs, also? I mean, if it can play Blu-Ray discs, it sure as hell have to play DVDs...

14. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

[/SIZE]

They make games for that thing now?

lilformers ripoff

15. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:

1. From my understanding, only the early NTSC systems also included the Emotion Engine that allowed for hardware playback of PS2 and PS1 games. Later models only have software playback which limits the number of games that can be played. I also recall something about the new 40GB systems not having any backwards capability at all (though I could be wrong here).

2. Answer above.

3. DVDs, yes. (A U.S. system will only play region 1 discs or region free, as usual.)

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't even do BR's, I stick with my old school DVD's.

17. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    The PS3 has been touted at the only true future proof bluray player out now. But this will change soon.

18. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

Considering the PS2 refuses to die, PS3 probably will keep going long after its successor comes out.

19. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'd like to know the truth about the backwards-compatibility thing too; that'll probably be the biggest factor in my decision to buy or not. I don't give a shit about Blu-Ray.

20. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Current 40GB systems can play "some" PS1 games, though it's not specified in the manuals which ones exactly. They can't play any PS2 games.