Playstation 3 internet help.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by newguy, Mar 22, 2009.

1. newguy

newguy i

Finaly after a year i got the ethernet cord (50ft not wifi) for my ps3. I figured all i needed to do was plug it in, but of course im an idiot and very wrong. With my internet router there is only one ethernet plug in so i just unplug the computer and plug in the playstation. Instead of doing custome set up i pick the easy one, but for some reason it's the exact same thing. I do every thing on automatic. When i test the connection it says FAILED; Ip adress timed out.

For most people that doesn't happen,but im one of the lucky few who have to wait for answers. I really need some one to talk me through what to do. Like if you say find you dns primary and secondary connection, i dont know what the hell that is. My router doesnt have a number on it that can be put into the router number thingy, and I have 2 IP adresses. One for the ps3 and another for my computer (which do i use?).

2. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

did you reset the router (unplug the router for about 20 seconds) before pluging it into the ps3?

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah what he said. Internet has been pretty automatic (plug and play) for a while now, and I do have to swap connections sometimes.

4. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There are so many things that can be wrong here. The PS3 should setup automatically. As long as the PS3 is not faulty, the problem may be with the ethernet cable or the router.

Make sure the ethernet cable is not a cross-over cable and is CAT5 or CAT5e, also try your PS3 on your computer's connection if possible.

If you don't want to keep swapping network plugs buy a network hub or switch, this should divide the internet betweek the computer and the PS3.