Playstation 3 Eyetoy

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Smasher, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
  2. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

Ugly as sin.

3. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

I have my MS Camera on everytime I play Uno, and find plenty of others that also use theres. Maybe used only on 1 or 2 titles right now, but they are definitly used.

4. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

That things just odd looking. I did like a few of the PS2 Eye Toy games but overall they're a novelty. The PS3 version seems like s its just meant as some novelty video/picture option since it's not launching with a game. Sony's online system is still trying to figure itself out so we'll see how this plays into it. Also the mic added just seems stupid to me, make it easier (and cheaper) for people to have a wireless headset (or a way to rire one to the controller like the default 360 headset) and that wouldn't have been needed.

I like my Live Vision camera, I don't blame support for it (and the Eye Toy) since not every user will have one. It is damn nifty having video over live games, sending pictures with messages, having a custom gamer picture, and putting my face in R6 Vegas though so I'd pick up an Eye Toy for similar use (if I were to ever get a PS3).

5. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

I wish more games supported the cams.

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

PS2 -> PS3 = Bigger
    EyeToy -> PSEye = Bigger.
    A new trend maybe.

7. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

the original eyetoys work on the ps3, so if you still have those at least you can spare yourself this monstrosity!

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Seems to me like they're trying to make it look more like a serious device and less like a "game accessory." Probably also why they took "toy" out of the name. I'd say they're trying too hard at that. No matter what Sony or Kutaragi says, the PS3 is still a game machine. Still, if it's a technical improvement over the Eye Toy and you really want something like this, why the hell not? You might as well have something fun to do with your big expensive PS3.

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I suspect that they went with the Mic because they want to foster a group gaming environment, and you can't do that if everyone needs an individual headset.

Also, you can't really tell how big it is, its probably just a normal sized webcam with a big mic on top, hardly a Earth shaking revelation.

This sounds like a variation on those externsl sound dampening earphones Sony did a while ago. This way I guess the mic is clever enough to remove any sounds that the PS3 itself is producing, so even though you have your sound system maxed out it will still hear you speak.

Quite clever if you ask me. And if the games are as functional as that PS3 tech demo (the one with the two cups simulating water being poured into each other) than this peripheral could outdo Wario Ware at its own game.

One to watch IMO.

10. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

When I worked in the games section of a department store we sold Eye Toy and Eye Toy games hand over fist.

Mainly to families with young kids.

Sold Singstar a LOT more however.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    That would be an incredible marvel of software if it could do that.
    I used to do tech support on a security speech recogniton module and background noise is an incredible wrench in those algorithmic gears.
    I seriously doubt you could have your sound system maxed out and have the PS3 "understand" spoken commands.

I'm still waiting for any PS3 game to match Sony's tech demos.
    Its one of the reasons why I haven't bought one.

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sony actually have sound dampening earphones, they essentially play back any external sound into your headphones, but at the opposite frequency, cancelling out that external sound.

Actually a quick google search finds that its called active sound cancelling,

http://www.seatguru.com/articles/noise-canceling_review.php

So, instead of finding low frequency sounds, what it this new camera has a audio in jack from the PS3, ie, it will cancel out the PS3's audio output, and therefore only hear your voice, despite the volume?

I dunno, if it is that I'm still amazed. Assuming it is that.