Playstation 3 deals

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Soundwave3k, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

So my old Playstation 3 died right before Assassin's Creed 2 (argh!) and I'm in the market for a new PS3 slim. So far the best deals I've found are:

Getting $50 off a $299 console by applying for a Sony Card (Get a $50 card credit) and then buying it from Sony Style.

or a Black Friday Walmart deal: Walmart.com Black Friday: PlayStation 3 Slim Console with Infamous and Batman Arkham Asylum + The Dark Knight Blu-ray $299.00 - SlickDeals.net Forums

Thing is I already have all the extra so I'd probably eBay them.

Does anyone else know of any other PS3 deals out there?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

best buy on black friday has a doorbuster deal for the ps3 slim, the 120 gig one plus 2 games, ratchet & clank future and little big planet: game of the year ed.

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Buy a 360:p 

How dead is your PS3?

Is it cheaper to fix than a new console?

I would avoid a slim if possible and get a older one.

Unless you don't mind the stripped down slim.(Gamestop should have used ones for a good price and they sell extended warranties)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  4. Soundwave3k

LOL at the 360 comment. It actually already got the blinking red light (it's like RROD but for PS3s) from overheating. A friend of mine fixed it, but that was about a month ago and he figures it'll keep happening. So I figure I might as well go for a new one...

And thanks for the Best Buy doorbuster info bouncing_boy_77. I saw that one and forgot to post it but I already have Little Big Planet.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got my Fiance a second PS3 (A slim), and besides the not being PS2 compatible, that little thing rocks. I'm kinda jealous to be honest, so there is no real reason to avoid the PS3.

Here is one thing to consider. If that PS3 you have is working enough to trade it towards your new one, do it before it stops working and let Gamestop fix it and resell it instead of it just sitting there.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Costco has a PS3 bundle with Uncharted, a DualShock 3, and a remote for $330.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And Extra Dual Shock? Motherfok! Uncharted 1, right? Not 2?

Best Buy is going to send us 5 million dollars, what with the madness we spent there this weekend.

But hey, that reward zone shit bought me UP and Monster Inc.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    As someone who did this myself, you won't regret it. My old PS3 died. Sony wanted $150 to repair it. Used broken ones were going for $150 on ebay at the time. I finally got around to ebaying my busted one the week of the price drop, and basically upgraded to a Slim for the same price I would have paid to fix my old one. Despite what Red Alert says, the Slim is functionally better. The fan in my old PS3 sounded like a jet engine sometimes, but the Slim is super quiet. It looks nicer too, though that's just my opinion.

Honestly, I would probably spring for the SonyStyle thing, if you're responsible enough to pay off the credit card promptly. If there's any chance of that not happening, don't do it; interest charges and fees will ruin the deal. You COULD sell the extra games from the Walmart/Best Buy deals and net out at $230-240 in the end, but you'd also have to put up with getting up in the middle of the night, putting up with Black Friday crowds, and then the time investment of listing/selling/shipping the games you already have just to save another 10 bucks. Doesn't seem worth it to me. Just my opinion.

Another alternative you might want to consider is Amazon. Unless you live in Washington you won't pay sales tax, which on a $300 purchase amounts to a savings of $20-25 depending on your state's sales tax. Given that other retailers are bundling games for Black Friday, there's a decent chance Amazon will also. You can just stay up till midnight to guarantee you get one, place your order from the comfort of your home, and worse case scenario you only pay an extra $25 bucks over the SonyStyle deal, best case (if they bundle stuff) you could end up saving maybe $75-100 over purchasing it outright from another store when you factor in the tax savings and the sale of whatever is bundled.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I agree... Too bad Sony is stupid about the BC, because the Slim is slick, and quiet. The disc tray sounds really loud, but the system purs, and I like the light up buttons.

10. Hook

Hook The real Constructicon leader Veteran

News Credits:
    Hey! Shut up now! I've got an old 80Gb BC PS3 that I enjoy. Do NOT make me want a slim PS3 :mad 

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, don't sweat it. I would never get rid of my BC, 3 card slots, 4USB, PS3. The slim is just cool for someone getting it for the first time.

12. KidDynamite

Twitter:
    Yeah I'm with Prowl. I think the Slim is nicer, but only for someone in the market for a PS3. The differences aren't significant enough to make it worthwhile for someone who already owns a WORKING older one, especially if you have one with BC.

13. Soundwave3k

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll try to hold out until Black Friday and try for Amazon or that Walmart deal. I have some hope for the Walmart deal since it's not that incredible; maybe I can stroll in at 8 am and pick one up!

I found out that the one at Sony Style only lets you choose from Heavenly Sword, NBA 08, and Lair so it got a whole less sweet!

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish I could recommend Lair, because it is really awesome game despite the hate, but you're safe with Heavenly Sword.

15. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    One of my biggest fears is my precious 60GB PS3 dies :(  Keep on truckin' old gal!

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While my fear of my 60 dying has diminished a bit, since we just got a second PS3, the fact that I don't have a PS2 anymore keeps that fear in check and reminds me that all things are precious.

17. Hook

Hook The real Constructicon leader Veteran

News Credits:
    It's a PS3, not a 360. Rest easy friend ;) 

*runs away from thread avoiding 360 user's pitchforks and molotov cocktails*

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh they still die, and die hard. Granted, they don't make headlines, but jinxing them like that is still asking for trouble :D 

19. KidDynamite

Twitter:
    This.

When I first bought a nextgen console, the primary reason I went with PS3 was fear of RRoD on 360. Several months later I ended up getting a 360 too, and it soon extracted its karmic revenge on me for daring to question it. My PS3 crapped out within a couple weeks of the end of the warranty. And it didn't just flat out die, it MOCKED me in its death, because it turned on and worked fine, it just didn't read discs.

18 months on, the Xbox is still rolling along despite heavy use from both me and my kids.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest the only systems I will openly tempt fate with are the Super Nintendo and Genesis. I still have my Genesis from 1989 and it still works as if it were new.