Plays and acting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deltaprime, Apr 30, 2010.

1. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Well, I have role in a play tonight for school (Twelve Angry Jurors) , and I was wondering, how many others on here have had roles in plays and stuff? Starring roles, tech support, extras, whatever. Post your experiences here!

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I've acted in quite a few. Also just finished up a round of Stage Management on a show as well.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

In the 8th grade, I did 2 plays for Speech & Drama class.

I can't remember for the life of me what the names of the plays were, but in the first play I did I was a police officer and in the second play I did a bit role as a female boxer.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Once as an extra and once as stage crew.

Stage crew was quite fun to be a part of.

5. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

i was on stage crew and worked the flylines for this years spring musical "White Christmas." and in a week i'm going to help with another thing that showcases a dance number from the past 20 musicals done at my highschool, or something like that.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had the lead role in a couple of plays through elementary school and junior high. Not that I was particularly enthusiastic about it, just that I was one of the few kids in Drama class who could remember all my lines (and other people's lines...basically, I just memorized every scene I was in) and put effort into it, rather than just screwing around. In high school, one of the teachers asked me to take one of the lead roles in a production of Anne Frank and I refused, since I thought the play was boring and it wasn't a requirement for any class. I also did some amateur improv in college. And, of course, my daily attempt to act like a normal human being.

Tangentially related to the topic, but is that supposed to be a politically correct version of "12 Angry Men" or is it a different story?

7. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

I once did a skit for a school project we got a 98 because my voice was to low oh well

8. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

It's the same one, but we actually had more girls in the cast than boys. I got to be juror #3, the angriest juror! The first showing tonight went very well too. There really weren't any dropped lines or anything.

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Glad to hear that the first showing went well, Delta.

10. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I did set design/ construction one year in middle school. Same year I played a Ben Stein type teacher and held up a bush.

Glad it went well!

11. bandron

bandron seeker jets' nightmare

Ebay:
    I've been a member of two acting troupes. Did mostly backstage stuff but I have been upstage beef for a few plays and even done some swordfighting as needed. For a production of King Lear I was the props manager, that was a nightmare. All in all I've had fun doing it and wouldn't mind finding a troupe out here that I could join. Glad to here it went well. It can be a fun and rewarding thing.

12. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I was an extra in a production of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever about 3 years ago.

Still haven't been paid. :lol 

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You are doing "12 Angry Men" ?
    that is a great drama.

i have done about 3 stage roles throughout school- I was The Big Bopper in a play that paralleled a town's history with Rock n Roll.

I was narrator for a version of Masque of the Red Death.

and for 12th grade English, I wrote a one act play (about 5 minutes long) based on The Old Man and the Sea. (all the assignments by the class were performed together at class assembly.)

For a class assignment in college, i rewrote the ending to "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" to give the Mama character an epiphany and i got to play Big Daddy in that.

Performed just once at the annual Guerilla Theater at the University of Alabama.

and i have 2 short film roles i did for friends' submission to their telecommunication and film classes that were screened for the general public.

14. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    In high school I was crew on about every play during that time up to stage manager. The sad thing is that when the actors would still be flubbing lines all of my crew would have the whole play memorized for all of our cues.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  15. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I was the king that brought gold in the nativity play one year!

and the back end of the camel the next :( 

16. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was Bundles the Laundryman in Annie. Only said 5 lines, but it was good.

17. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the 11th grade, I was in that year's school play. No single role for anyone really, just a bunch of short stories and everyone was a different character for each.

For a class group project we did the final act of Hamlet, I was Laeretes. Being typical high schoolers, we amped things up with certain "enhancements". Right after my completely over-the-top death scene, I recevied an Oscar. My friend played both the Queen (who dies on top of a "chalk outline" we laid out beforehand), and the characer who sees her dead body. Imagine if you will: Queen is dead, lying on the floor. Gets up to be another character, and points to the chalk out line with no one there: "Look, ho. The queen!" Good times.

18. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I've was in a local community theater production when I was 8. JUst shuffled across the stage and delivered some papers. But what made it neat was, my Mom and dad were in it and my two older brothers were doing some backstage stuff, lighting and sets. And 2 years before that, all four of them were in the same play together.

19. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

I shall bring this thread back from the dead!!! lol

Coincidentally, our school is currently doing Night of The Living dead, and our school's musical is The Wedding Singer. I got callbacks for Sammy and George! Can't wait for Callback night!

20. red4

red4 Banned

I once had to act out almost everyone's scene (for directing purposes) in a short-lived fan-remake of Manos the Hands of Fate which I was writing, directing, funding, and building the props for. In the end, my friends turned out to be turd mongers without an ounce of acting talent, and the whole project went to hell.

I played a midwife in a highschool drama project, which is significant considering I wasn't in highschool at the time. Fortunately, my face was never in frame, and I didn't have a single line of dialog. All I had to do was pull a fake baby out from between a girl's legs.

In Speech class I had to lip sync a Korn song and act like Jonathan Davis.