PlayOn Comes To Wii

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    PlayOn Comes To Wii | IshTalkers

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Useful, but if they could fix the flash & Java support in the native browsers, we wouldn't need something like this.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does the Flash on the Wii support some of the Flash game emulators out there?

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Still wouldn't be able to play Hulu, Netflix, CBS, Amazon VOD or any other site which requires plug-ins or proprietary players. Hulu and Netflix block console browsers, CBS requires a player install. Amazon VOD doesn't work on any current console by itself.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Hulu blocking console browsers must be new, because when I first researched this issue, their videos were working from the PS3 browser. The initial issue on the Wii was that Hulu requires a newer version of Flash than is supported by the devkit Opera has from Adobe for Flash support in embedded browsers, and that embedded versions of Opera can't download plugins.

Moving on from that, any idea whether PlayOn will work with CrunchyRoll?

6. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Been wanting to get PlayOn. A buddy uses it and swears by it.

7. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Having Hulu on the PS3 was one of the reasons I loved the browser. Sadly they began blocking consoles a few months ago. It was at the request of their supported networks.

Hulu Speaks On PS3 Blocking: It's the Content Providers - Hulu ps3 - Gizmodo

As for CrunchyRoll, it doesn't at the moment. But all it takes is for a plug-in to be created. The guys Here have been creating some fantastic plug-ins. It's how I got Adult Swim, BBC, Cartoon Network, Food Network, Crackle, SyFy, Spike and a bunch of others.

I see CrunchyRoll is on the request list. So I wouldn't be surprised if someone is working on it.

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    does this mean that I might eventually be able to watch 24 on my Wii? man that'd be awesome.

9. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Youtube already works on the Wii browser. Though when I was looking through the Nintendo Channel it did occur to me that they clearly already had a solid infrastructure for delivering streaming video, so it's about time someone did this.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Youtube is also starting to LEGALLY stream TV shows (Watched a Dresden File on it), and this includes the PS3 broswer (as well as the custom XL youtube for PS3)

11. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Frankly, the YouTube aspect is the least interesting part of PlayOn. The local file browsing plug-in has become my favorite part now. I started ripping my DVD's to video files, and they play beautifully through PlayOn now.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Something has been happening to my media center lately. When I had my other laptop, the moment I'd turn it on, my PS3 could read it and allow streaming. Now I have to literally run media player in order for my PS3 to recognize it, and I'm not sure what setting I have to tinker with to make it automatic. I read some possible solutions, but the guy was talking DOS and deleting some things I am not comfortable with. Last I used DOS was in early 90's to get on an MMOR Text game, lol.

13. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Its all people on the internet ever say. re-install, de-frag or fuck about with shit thats not needed. I love it when when you have a problem and people suggest google, the only responses you tend to get are those that are so OTT.

14. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The most likely culprit is a software update the f'ed up your settings. It's just a matter of finding out if it was a PS3 update that changed it's interaction with the media center, or if it was a Windows update that reset or changed settings. That kind of stuff is so sensitive too.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's a firewall issue. ORB works everytime, but ORB compresses my shit, media center doesn't, and I can copy things from my PC to my PS3.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think that Play On might be a solution for me to get a second Xbox and use it as a Netflix box.
    Hmm...

To the internets!

Do you have media sharing turned on?
    I would open sharing in Media Player and let it connect with new devices automatically.
    I wouldn't leave that setting on, but it would be a good place to start testing.

The problem is weird though -the PS3 typically connects to Windows PCs faster and easier than the Xbox.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah Smash, I was going to call you. On my old VAIO, the moment that laptop turned on, it became available on the PS3 and 360. Now, I have to go in and manually turn sharing on each time.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Man, I don't know.
    Will look into it though.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I installed it last night.

It's pretty cool, but I definitely need to tweak it.
    There were a few times when I lost connection suddenly, but then I would go into the other media sharing portions and that media would be accessible.

The video quality of things like Pingu and Voltron were about what they normally are.
    But Heroes in HD was not HD -no way.

I also didn't like the way interface was kind of plebian -just folders and sometimes folders within folders.
    If I am going to use this to have Netflix on a second Xbox in the bedroom, then I'll need something my wife can easily use.

Not ruling it out -just not 100% satisfied.

20. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Make sure you set the video quality in the PlayOn setting to medium or higher. Do not let it Auto set the video quality, or it will always be poor. If you set the video quality to "Max", anything available in HD will stream in its native resolution.