PlayOn Beta For PS3, Xbox360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    PlayOn! | MediaMall Technologies

I've been using PlayOn for the past few days. I absolutely love it. PlayOn allows you to stream Hulu, Youtube, CBS, ESPN and CNN video directly to your PS3 or Xbox360. It will soon allow for Netflix streaming as well. It's super easy to setup, and PlayOn will automatically set the video resolution to the best available setting. Last night I used it to stream the season premiere of Heroes from Hulu, the video quality (on my 50 inch HDTV) was quite impressive. Also, the streaming was pretty fantastic. I use it mainly on the PS3 right now, but it worked fairly well on my 360. After Heroes, I moved over to the CBS video offering and was watching the original Star Trek, again, really nice video quality.

The Beta right now is free. Once it goes public, the price will be $30, and I plan on paying it.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for posting on this. I have the Playon beta and would GLADLY pay 30 bucks for it. I watched Family Guy on my PS3 with no guilt.

But, I can't get it to work all the time. In fact, the last couple of days I am getting nothing. I can still see the Hulu Icons on my PS3 and access the individual folders, but there is nothing in them. That's the only thing keeping me from giving them my money, otherwise I'd rather pay these guys 30 bucks once and be off on some of my shows by a day than spend monthly bills on cable. It is definitely a great service, it's just not as easy to use as my Simplify Media on the Iphone, which required no effort on my part.

any idea what causes this?

3. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hulu changed some backend stuff that caused PlayOn to not be able to play the media. There's a new version that was just released the other day (Tuesday I think). Hulu works with it now. But you have to disconnect the console from the router, uninstall the old PlayOn, and then install the new one. that is how I got it to work.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    cool I'll try this tonight. If I can get it to work even relatively steadily, they can count me in.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, so I disconnect PS3 from router, reinstall and then reconnect the system?

6. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yes.

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure it's worth it for me exactly.

I've got HDMI going from my HD Vid card to my HDTV, so I just use it to watch stuff on the net and whatnot that way.

So, does this program improve on that at all?

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got it working. Thanks for that suggestion. If you get some hickuping at the beginning of a program, pause it for a few, to let the stream get going, and it should run smooth the rest of the way.

edit: Hmmm, still getting some bumping while watching some Star Trek Original series. Any suggestions on making the stream smoother?

9. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I depends really on traffic. I watched a few eps of Trek last night with no hiccups. I'm only on a DSL.

10. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Definately gonna have to check this out. I already stream AVI files from my PC to my 360. Now... if only we could get a web browser on the 360.....

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, they can chalk it up to being a useless app to keep themselves from having to add it, but I use the PS3 browser quite a bit, especially when friends are over and we want to watch stupid youtube videos on a couch and not in front of a computer.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Nice, thanks for the info Joe

13. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I may have to check this out.

14. Primus

News Credits:
    I downloaded this today. Works great with my PS3. Also, Netflix worked with it. I didn't think that was supposed to be ready yet.

I do have a problem though. I don't have any audio. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with my TV/stereo. I'm going to try a different configuration tomorrow.

15. Quicky

Quicky TRANSFORM and ROLL OUT!!!

Ebay:
    Downloaded it....can't get it to work. When trying to access the folders I get the error 'not available outside of USA'. I'm in Miami, Florida.:confused: 

16. Primus

News Credits:
    Maybe their qualifications is if the majority of the local population speaks english. :p  What is your internet provider?

17. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Be sure to send the a support inquiry through the software. I did that when I couldn't get Hulu to work. They responded in less than 15 minutes with a solution.

18. Primus

News Credits:
    wow, this is pretty awesome. got my sound issue worked out. If the video quality was just a touch better ( I have a 10 meg connection) I would be extremely impressed. Still, pretty awesome.

19. Quicky

Ebay:
    That's the first thing I did and they already sent me an e-mail. As soon as I get home I'll see if I can get it to work.:thumbs2: 

20. Quicky

Ebay:
    Tell me about it, imagine if that were true...:lol  I use Earthlink so I'm really confused about the error..

I wonder if it's the Japanese Playstation Store I downloaded to my PS3 that's causing it...:confused: