Playing ROTF on PlayStation 3 60GB Consoles!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmarJT82, Jul 18, 2009.

1. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'M IN NEED OF ADVICE:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that PlayStation 3 60GB Consoles can play PlayStation 2 games.

The reason I point this out is because currently I own a PlayStation 2 and want to trade it for a PlayStation 3 60GB Console so I can buy and play ROTF for the PlayStation 3 (which I heard is way better than the one for the PlayStation 2) yet still keep and play the games I have for the PlayStation 2.

But can ROTF for the PlayStation 3 still work on a PlayStation 3 60GB Console?

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS.

2. Sigmadead

Sigmadead Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've always heard 60 GB were backwards compatible, however I dont know if Sony still makes it that way.. The older ones for sure were tho.

3. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those kind of PS3s, if I'm not mistaken, have LIMITED backwards compatability. Some PS2 games work on them, some don't. So if you're willing to take the chance and don't have any new PS2 games to play, only possibly replaying your older ones, than go for it. Otherwise, just save up a little bit more for your PS3, it's not worth the risk.

4. SlipKnotDrifter

SlipKnotDrifter I love ROTF :P

Yeah, the 60GB can play most games. Though I ask, why don't you just sell your PS2 copy and get the PS3 copy. It would probably be mucho better.

5. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes.
    ROTF for Playstation 3 will work on a PlayStation 3 60GB Console.

6. Nightmare966

Nightmare966 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just to say, but, any PlayStation 3 game will play in a PS3.

And, just keep your PS2 and buy an 80 GB or even a 160 GB PS3. More HDD space, same price.

7. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I heard that the 60 GB will play,

1. All PS1 games.
    2. 80% of PS2 games.
    3. All PS3 games (obviously).

I have a 60 GB, and I can say that my whole Playstation collection in general works. Haven't had a PS2 game which hasn't worked.

If you are going to go for a PS3, GO FOR THE 60 GB. They may be a little more expensive, but it is certainly worth it to play PS2 games.

8. Darkfall

Darkfall Savior of Shadows

It should probably be mentioned that, seeing as how Sony doesn't make the 60gb model anymore, it may be somewhat hard to find/expensive. That being said, I have not as of yet found anything in my PS1 or PS2 collection that a 60gb Ps3 will not play.

Regarding the hard drive space, if you check the owners manual, you will find instructions for how to replace the hard drive in a Ps3. This is not against anything in the Warranty. Keep the original if you ever do need it serviced though.

Pick up a good laptop hard drive (you can find the exact type you'll need listed online somewhere) at any Best Buy, or other such electronics place. Beyond that you'll need a phillips screwdriver. I think i got my 160gb hd for my ps3 for maybe $50. Takes about 3 minutes to install, and then the system will format it when you restart.

This is also handy if you want to run another OS on the ps3, as it allows you to partition the HD. This also is well within the legal uses, as in Europe they marketed the system more as a computer, therefore had to make other OS available for use. Linux runs fairly well for example. I'm sure there are other less talked about uses you could find, but honestly I just wanted to find a way to play WoW on a ps3 so I could have too many people play at once.

9. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

10. Whalemusic360

Whalemusic360 Well-Known Member

You probally wont get much trade in on a PS2 anyways, so unless they are giving you some great deal I'd recomend just keeping the PS2 and getting a PS3 flatout, then you dont have to worry about it.

11. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    ROTF PS2 is a terrible, terrible game. I'm playing through it now for a review for here. It will play in a PS3, but the progressive scan won't work on a PS3 for some reason. Let me repeat this though, it is a terrible game. The PS3/360 versions are the way to go this round.

12. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Why would the Playstation 3 version of the game not work on a Playstation 3?

For the record, the 60 gig plays all of the PS2 games. It was the 80 gig that was limited in backwards compatibility. As I understand it anyway.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think if you turn on Progressive Scan on a PS3 with Upscaled turned on, they cancel eachother out. Upscaling needs to be on alone. Either way, it doesn't save the game.

14. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Random question where exactly is the option for Progressive Scan as I don't seem to be able to find it in the display settings?

Gracias.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prog Scan isn't an option on PS3, it's in each individual game because not all games support it. If you have a PS3 and the option for Prog Scan is available, stick with Upscaling, it looks better. If you turn on Prog in a game, it will cancel the PS3's upscaling.