Playing it on the PC vs Console

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by mrhillz, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm having a tougher time deciding on what I want to play a game on, console or pc. My computer is fairly powerful, have a nice monitor, have a really good video card, etc, and I just got a wired 360 controller for it. I bought Arkham Asylum recently, and it really looks and plays well on the pc. I also have an xbox 360, hooked up to a 720p LCD TV, and now it's tough to decide which to buy games for. Some are a given, like RTS, and some first person games, that I would just personally play on the PC. Fighting and sports games, on the other hand, are definitely go for consoles for me.

So, anyone else having similiar issues, like deciding between 360 and PS3, etc.?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Anything that specifically implies a mouse is PC only for me, with one exception. That exception is Black for the PS2. At least that is a stealth type game so its ok to go slow. I can't play any FPS or Hockey games on console, nor any RTS/TBS games like Starcraft 64 or Civ or HOMM. However, Third Person games are ok like GTA or certain driving games. I can't play driving games that do not let me remap the acceleration button to a button, or steering is controlled by the L/R buttons. On PC I usually can. One exception is Red Faction Guerrilla. Also I prefer baseball games on console.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't play any FPS on consoles, or flying games for that matter. The only games I play on my PS3 are platforms and sports games.

4. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i need a pc for mame, but i'm in a minority in that i very rarely play fps games and never rts.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    PC is for Farmville only.

Just kidding.
    I've got a few things on Steam, but for the most part everything else is on console by default. There's too big a community of people I know over there.

Friends, family and also Prowl.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Monday Night Combat on PC > Monday Night Combat on 360.

7. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light TFW2005 Supporter

Team Fortress 2 for pc all the way..

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Console is for Beat'em ups, shoot'em ups, RPG, Arcade games, racers, etc.

PC is for First Person Shooters like Doom, Quake, Duke, etc. and Console-Emulators.

But mostly I use my PC for working than for playing. That is producing music or being creative in general.

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Is that even a question? The PC version is pretty much a completely different game from the console version, at this point.

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I personally rarely play games for the PC. Every now and then, something comes along though. Like PvZ. Got that on the PC first, then eventually on the 360 (will be selling the 360 version and buying it on PS3 though). But I just never really got into the PC side of gaming, so I've become so accustomed to gamepads for FPS and the like.

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I mainly play FPS, strategy and Sim games, so it's PC. If it's an arcade racer, platform game, console exclusives or such that is better suited to a control pad (and of course, a group atmosphere), I'll play on consoles.

I can't play FPS on a control pad at all.

12. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

My general rule is PC for everything except console exclusives and racing games. Exceptions to the rule occur when the PC port is godawful or when the PC port uses godawful DRM. Although if there is an exception, I usually dont even bother with the game at all (I'm looking at you Assassins Creed 2).

13. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    If community made mods for it are likely, I'd play it on the PC.

14. Liselotte

Liselotte Revenge is coming... TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    PC all the way!

15. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    PC only for me, on occasion I will use a 360-pad in games designed with a controller in mind, like Assassin's Creed and Shank. Everything else is mouse/keyboard.

16. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I find it a lot harder to play FPSs on PC, but some games are great on PC... if you've got the right hardware.

I can aim a lot faster and more precisely on my PS3 controller compared to a mouse and keyboard any day. I find that console controllers are great because they are compact and all within a 4" diameter... on a keyboard, the buttons are too spread out for me.

PCs that run any game very well are also a lot more expensive than consoles and I can't find any justification to drop that much cash when my PS3 does what I need it to do.