Plastic vs Resin?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Aug 16, 2009.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Is there a way to tell if a Transformer is plastic or resin? Are there signs to look for or anything?

Thanks.

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Arent all transformers made of plastic?

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Some unofficial projects are made of resin, maybe even some KOs..

Since I am not familiar with resin, I'd like to know the difference as well. I have the weird idea that resin will feel different, or be of much less quality, can anybody shed some light? :) 

4. butz

butz slippery when wet

Unless its a prototype, or a garage kit, I can't imagine it would be made of resin. I've cast things in resin before, and the most noticable difference I've seen (which might vary based on the type of resin used) is that it seems harder than the plastic TFs usually have (and thus, potentially more brittle).

5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah I trying to find out if a prototype a friend gave me is real. I heard there were KO plastic of this prototype sold on ebay a while ago. :( 

6. butz

butz slippery when wet

An actual prototype, or is it a testshot? I'm betting testshot, as a real resin prototype would be extremely hard to get (let alone having multiples on EBay). If it is a testshot, it should be plastic.
    When the figure is being sculpted, they will make various crude molds of it (I've done this for things I've made in Sculpey, using Smooth-on silicone molding material) and cast resin parts from this (or wax, so that they can put more detail into- lot of variations on how to do all this). The prototype(s) are done this way in resin, and then these resin protos (probably more than one, in case one breaks.. plus the casting could've screwed up any number of times with air bubbles and shit) are sent out to have toolings made. These crude molds don't last for many castings, hence why theres not many of a given prototype. To test the toolings, they will do a run of figures in plastic (sometimes into the hundreds); these are testshots, to test the actual production molds. Again, various stages here, including when they test paint apps and such. These plastic testshots are obviously more common, and more likely to be in a factory waiting to be disposed of (and thus often stolen).
    Since anybody can go to a hobby store and buy casting resin, if it's resin I suppose they could attempted their own castings of a figure to try and pass off as an actual proto, but who knows.

7. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

Resin has an odd texture and i don't think its a sturdy as plastic, but i could be wrong. But i'm pretty sure you won't ever see an official TF toy made of it for sale, ....i don't think.....

8. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

^ This.