Plastic turning to white color?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by blahduh, Apr 14, 2008.

1. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

I just noticed this on 3 of my g1 toys:
    1. Scattershot: hands and crotch turning white(so it's more of a pink color now), the crotch area is almost all white now.
    2. Scorponak: some of the grey plastics around the scoprion foot joints are turning white.
    3. Trypticon: claws and foot are turning white, claws/foot seems having internal cracking around the white areas(You see cracking stress marks all over the place, and surface plastic can be peeled off easily)

Any ideas?

2. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    could perhaps be UV damage. have these been exposed to fluorescent light? or perhaps direct sunlight? Also, what type of climate/environment have your figures been kept in?

3. blahduh

dry area with lots of sunlight, so i guess sun damage could be the reason. But why trypticon is the only one who actually get the damage on his parts? All other plastic parts looks fine(except color fading).

Also, I thought sun damage only make stuff more "yellow", it also cracks plastic too?

4. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    plastic can become brittle very easily under many different circumstances and with the sunfading, it can do weird things to different colors. Go into ANY "Family Video" rental store ( and I defy you all to find one that doesn't do this), go to the very front of the store, where they store all the kids stuff in front of the window, and you'll find almost everything on the window side is blue/white, regardless what color it was originally. That's a prime example of what I'm talking about.

5. blahduh

Thanks for the info, anything I can do to fix the cracking plastic?(will lighter help?)

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Heat is probably just going to make them weaker. It sounds like it wasn't just UV damage, but HOT sunlight coming in. A big dark thing like Trypticon would attract more heat, and the lighter, painted plastic would show damage first.

7. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

The sun can fade any color. Anything you would not want to get discolored, you should move away from sunlight. Those areas that are already affected, will never actually turn white, but they will continue to fade if left in the sunlight.