Plastic Quality

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I was thinking of everyone who is commenting on plastic quality. I know a lot of people swear by Hasbro quality, but I have to say, I don't think it is that good.

I was playing with my son the other day, and he has been getting the Hess Trucks/Cars for Christmas. For anyone that want's to see good plastic quality, check those out. I mean, I don't think I have seen better plastic quality on a toy. Also, those toys are some of the best put together toys I have ever seen.

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I generally think it's hit or miss with any brand of toy you purchase.

3. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, those hess things have been solid as a rock for like 3 years now. Never had them before so I couldn't tell you, but I was blown away. I mean for the $20 they charge for those things, it is a steal!

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Wait who swears by Hasbro quality? Its not something to be praised about, but it is CERTAINLY not something to frown over.

5. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aren't the Hess trucks like collectors pieces though?

I've seen other regional gas company toys but I've never understood the draw. I think it is something theat people grow up with.

6. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Haven't really encountered an issue with Hasbro's plastics myself. I think I've legitimately had only three toys break on me, and all three were... well, known for breaking. Or at least two were; the third was due to a high drop + a thin piece of plastic.

7. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    for me I've never had any plastic issues outside of gold plastic syndrome E.Scorpy is the newest toy I've had thats cracked but not the worse sadly my Laser rod (the gold pickup) just fell apart weeks after getting it.

Now I will say that from time to time I will come across something that I think is a bad design. My PCC (the yellow construction guy) his chest peace/cockpit has cracked at the hinge the one that you use to move it to cover over the gap left by the saw blade its just way to tight and the notches don't help.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think the only time I have a problem with plastic quality is when it's the kind that stresses easily and sometime splits. It bugs me to see stressmarks around where a pin has been inserted or where a socket has stressed just from having the ball joint inserted into it during assembly.

9. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oh forgot MP Screamers wings on the early runs it was very easy to get stress marks on the wings

10. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    Well, I also collect Marvel figures, and you can really see the huge discrapancy in quality with Toybiz Marvel Legends vs the Hasbro ones. I've seen some older Toybiz figures have some sort of oily secretion even while still sealed inside the plastic.

11. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

You have to take into account the toy itself. A truck may have opening doors or a moving crane or bed. A Transformer has moving parts that have to clip into other parts for stability. Those clips or pegs have to be small otherwise, you ruin the look of your toy. The smaller the part the easier it is to break. I think, save for a few QC issues, Hasbro does pretty well with the plastic they use.

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    For those of you who never picked up a Hess truck, try it this Christmas, just to see. It's wild the quality on those things. I swear you can drop that thing from the top of your stairs and it won't break. It's great for small kids.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Excellent - I shall go and try dropping small kids from the top of my stairs right away! :D 

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's all what is needed for the toy though. Transformers generally don't have large pieces and most pieces have to have a certain weight to fit in with everything else and balance. I won't say Hasbro has the best plastic for sure, but compared to almost all other retail toylines, in terms of action figures and complexity, you do get your money's worth. They have to shove small hinges everywhere in a Transformer, and often times anything heavier would just cause problems, kinda like some of the 6" Titaniums.

15. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

I'm good. As long as there is no gold in the plastic.

16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

HESS trucks go back a long time...

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    My Generations Thundercracker's wing plastic does not feel right. It feels like it'll break off.

18. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had a set of the early armored core figures their plastic was horrid no way could you make a tf out of it.

19. all are dead

all are dead Being a nerd is my game.

News Credits:
    Only figure ive had issues with was Animated Arcee like millions of us. Both her thumbs broke off but ive super glued them and since bought another Arcee at a TRU that was overflowing with them. The thumb plastic was bound to break but other then that the only issues with Hasbro ive had QC wise is PAINT issues. (Yes Generations Blurr im looking at you) Hasbro really has been shitty on paint with some of the figures recently.

~AAD