Plastic quality?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hyoumaru, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Just for the sake of conversation, to those better versed in multiple third party companies, what are some companies best known for poor-quality or otherwise prone to breaking plastic?

In my limited experiences, my experiences with Perfect Effect's plastic is pretty good. I hear some other figures or kits are much more prone to breakage however.

2. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Cloud 9, Fanstoys, KBB, WUKONG and BB7 are great- haven't had any poor products yet. X-Tranbots seems to come under scrutiny from time to time, but after handling an Apollyon, it really doesn't feel inferior to a Hasbro or TT. The issues reported seem to be with the paint and tolerances not the plastic itself. BB7 is a new KO company and my Skywarp is perfection!

As I said in the thread, sometimes these complaints are just made up in people's heads. You have to consider the content of the person's words- and maybe even look at their posting history. If they're always whining about something- can you really give their words any weight?

I'd be curious to see who the supposed biggest offenders for delivering terrible quality products are but sometimes its best to judge for yourself.

3. Gen jay

Gen jay Well-Known Member

Maketoys plastic are very solid. Generation Toy / Transformmission & DX9 a tier down but still above Hasbro quality. MMC probably on par with Hasbro.

4. BlueSilver

BlueSilver Well-Known Member

Of the still-relevant companies, I really think it's really just xtransbots/KFC that is still a shit show with QC. Sure there can be issues with any 3P release, but with those companies specifically it seems like you are guaranteed a mess of a figure if you buy it on first release.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday, why do people put up with it? I don't mean take it with a grin, as I know plenty of people make a fuss over it and get frustrated, but why are they even given business anymore? We seem to accept that if purchasing a figure from xtransbots, we pretty much have to wait for a second or third version. And if we do buy early and get a chunk of stressed, falling apart plastic and chipping paint, we almost seem to internalize the blame. "Oh well, I should have known better than to get a V1!" On the boards with arkose people are talking about a v1, v1.5, and a v2. That's ridiculous! With most any other reputable company there's simply a release, and then possibly a round of fixes if an issue is found. For there to be three versions of one figure released within months of each other because they still can't seem to get it right is just baffling. I seem to have gotten a v1.5 arkose based on the descriptions given, and after that experience I'm pulling out of all x transbots purchases. It's just too much drama and gambling to have to go through with QC to end up with a "pretty good" figure.

5. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I have figures from XTB, BC and MMC...they are all pretty close but I'd say the build/plastic quality is slightly lower for XTB. But not bad enough to make the figure break. Some of it has to do with the design where pieces are thin and more fragile so you just have to know where to be more careful. BC is known for excellent quality but if you aren't careful with all those folding panels they use in their designs, it's gonna break.

6. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately there's no real objective measure of plastic quality, it's very much in the eye of the beholder. As MPCollector81 said, a lot of people have strong biases for and against individual companies so take both complaints and recommendations with a grain of salt. Me personally I've yet to purchase an MP figure with plastic I would call "terrible" and I collect officials, third parties and even Takasa Tony and KBB style KO's.

Some of KFC's early smaller figures had issues with poor plastic (their Mugan Scope has a very fragile microscope attachment that breaks easily) but since then they've improved a lot. Their Transistor (Blaster) had decent quality plastic but the glossy metallic paint was prone to chipping. XTB (a KFC subsidiary) is occasionally held up as poor as well. Their Apollyon (Megatron) was fine plastic quality, the issues where more around loose joints, lots of small panels and a crazy intricate transformation. Their Ollie (Wheelie) was reported as bad by most but the new version looks to be a huge Improvement
    MT and FT are both held up as some of the best in terms of quality, with BC not far behind. DX9 have really nice solid plastic though their designs are a bit "out there." ToyWorld copped some flack for the plastic on some of their Constructicons.
    KO's like Takasa Tony, KBB and BB7 seem to be remarkably good all things considered.
    Generally if you read into these reports, the so called "poor plastic" is usually around very small or thin parts/connectors that are inevitably going to be significantly more fragile.

For me it's just as important how the companies handle reports of issues. With Takara, if you have a fragile part or something prone to breakage, you're generally shit out of luck. Your retailer may offer a warranty replacement. For 3P's like FansToys, they will often acknowledge problems or issues and provide replacement or upgraded parts, often included with another of their figures. XTB have instituted a 50% discount for previous purchasers of their Ollie (Wheelie) figure, which is something they absolutely didn't have to do, but have chosen to out of good customer service. KO's are usually smaller Chinese companies and cheaper products, so fragility or breakage is generally a "too bad for you" prospect.

Best advice is to read as many post's and reviews as possible and try and watch some video reviews. Bobby Skullface is great cause he's pretty rough and fumble fingered so if it stands up to his handling, it says a lot.

7. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

I bought X2Toys' CW Megatron upgrade back in spring. Loved it and kept it in robot mode most of the time, last month however one of the shoulder upgrade's hinges broke, and I discovered there wasn't a single piece of the upgrade kit that wasn't cracked and just waiting to break apart in some way.

I was told this was limited to the Megatron kit and X2Toys' plastic quality has since improved, but it has me concerned, expecially since I can't find that kit to replace my broken one anymore.

8. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    #sealime

9. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Again, individual results vary. I own KFC Mogan Scope, Transistor and three of their cassette's. I own XTB Apollyon & Arkose.
    I'm expecting KFC Crash-Hog and Dumpster today and have happily ordered their Ditka & Provider and will be pre-ordering XTB Dante and Da Vinci as soon as they go up.
    The only one I have any issue with is Mugan Scope (the afore-mentioned weak scope). Even then I disassembled Mugan Scope completely (including removing all pins) repainted and re-assembled and had no breakages.
    My Apollyon and casette's required a little future on the joints to tighten them up.
    I have had no other problems with them. And all those figure I own are V1's.
    Arkose wasn't V1, V1.5, V2 etc. They rushed out a small batch immediately before Chinese New Year which had some minor issues, they then continued assembly of the figures after CNY ended.
    We were all trying to work out when our individual toy's where made and came up with the V1.5 and V2 terms ourselves to describe differences in delivery time and how the wheels where attached. They were all from a single production run though.
    KFC made multiple batches of Transistor because it kept selling out and people kept wanting to buy it. Two batches with metallic red paint, another batch with unpainted plastic for the G1 purist, plus the blue version. They didn't make V2 and V3 to repair the figure, they made them because people still wanted to buy their stuff and KFC used the opportunity to improve their product.
    XTB and even more so KFC are some of the most gorgeous designs in the game, their figures are glorious to look at. Me personally every figure I own from them is great. That's why people "put up with it". Because no company is producing a batch of universally bad figures any more (although...Spin-Out ...cough cough.) Every batch from every manufacturer has some bad figures. The majority of them will be fine.
    But as I started this post, everyone's experience is different. For me, if the hater's make KFC stop producing figures, I'll be devastated, they are in my top three go to companies. (Them, Fans Toys and Badcube. ..maybe Takara)

10. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Having said all that, I am disappointed in XTB's colour choice for their Boost (Windcharger) and will be skipping him for the moment. I think the plastic is supposed to be fine though.

11. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

This will be a highly opinionated topic but ...

1.) FansToys
    2.) Takara/MMC/Perfect Effect/BadCube/UT-DX9/MakeToys
    3.) Warbotron-TransFormMission-GenerationToys/TFC/FansProject
    4.) KFC-XTB

Now, this is just rounded/average/all together.

KFC's latest, Crash Hog and Dump Yard have good plastic quality and feeling/QC. Same as GT's new J4ZZ we hear.

EDIT: added MT to the list.

12. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farms remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd add MakeToys to the tier 3 of that breakdown. The only issue I've had with MT is hard to assemble combiners and some stressmarked joints on their older molds like the Battle Sentinel at both wrist armor add-on balljoint cups in MT-05CS. Overall quality is fairly high. I'd put TFC and Toyworld in Tier 4 with KFC.

13. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

There is little to no incentive for companies like KFC to improve- to quote one of the most intelligent men on the planet "There's an old saying. I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says, 'Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. *INCOHRERENT BLATHER* Fool me... You can't get fooled again!'" *BLANK STARE* :lol 

If KFC is really the offender that some make it out to be, they will continue to push out products riddled with QC issues until fans start teach by voting with their wallets on what kind of product they expect at their price points.

14. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    95% of the toys that show up on this board are expensive collector's items. The plastic will not be bad.

The QC in how it is assembled may vary, the designs themselves may not be what you want...

...But for these prices, the materials themselves are simply not an issue.

15. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farms remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually there are figures with poor quality plastics released from time to time and plenty that don't live up to their high-end pricetag.

16. banjoted

banjoted Timelord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You're not gonna get any satisfactory answers from this thread, I'm afraid. There are already folk in here defending the most dire quality as opinion seems based more on bizarre brand allegiance than actual perceptible reality. Or just madness, I'm not sure. I could list for you which companies I think are good and which are bad but it will directly conflict with other people here, and to you what makes my opinion more valid? Ultimately most companies are OK. Some are great. Some are risky. Some are largely a safe bet. One way to get a true feeling is to read as much of the boards as possible. The shit stuff is normally shown up in the end once you wade through the vocal defenders. Saying that, the good guys are targeted too, much of the time, presumably for having the audacity to be popular. Ultimately getting some figures in hand and judging for yourself is the only real way of determining what you are and aren't happy with.

17. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Great. Guess i better never touch mine then :( 

18. wingheaven7

wingheaven7 Well-Known Member

^ that and it's so frustrating to pay premium money for what feels like card backed dollar general knock offs.

If it ain't FT, MMC, BC, MasterMade, MT, PE, DX9 or the occasional TFC product, it does not even exist to me.

Any company that releases a V2 of anything that has looks, paint apps, or fixes that should have been in the V1 can go to hell. All that ish is just a greedy 3p company looking for a quick cash grab. Anyone buying these products needs to just stop, you're letting your wallets be trolled. Don't be a QC Guinea Pig.

KFC, XTB, UT, TW and many other are all guilty of this.

Just say no people. Just say no.

19. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    But that Ditka looks so good.

20. wingheaven7

wingheaven7 Well-Known Member

Please share the many fixes you'll eventually come up with to fix the many issues it will have when you get it :thumb 

Also share when you decided to sell it at loss for the V2...

I'm kidding but that's how I feel about all these crap 3p manufactures.

Anyone who says all 3p's are about the same is either inexperienced, lying, trolling or just full of S***.

Read the threads for each figure and keep a praise vs issue tally. You'll quickly see what's good and what's crap.