Customs: Plasti-Kote Enamel Spray - anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Bovril, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Spotted this stuff in a newly-opened store recently, looked like it might be good for basecoating as it comes in a range of primary colours, and my primitive airbrush isn't really suitable for enamel paint.

Anyone tried this stuff and got any feedback - good or bad - about it?

2. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Used various plast-kote sprays before and most were great. A base coat is very much needed or a primer coat to make it stick. It sets solid but can be laid on quite thick, so very thin light coats!

Also forget the metallics they are awful.

3. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

What would you recommend to use as a base/primer coat?

I've got some Carplan Plastic Primer but it doesn't seem very good... comes out sorta 'goopy' and with what looks like little crystals in it.

It's only the green Plasti-Kote I'm interested in, since I've never found a decent green paint in my life - though my local art shop has just stocked a new range of spray paints - they're very expensive but claim to be stronger than acrylic & enamel and they look proper posh. I forget the name but I plan to try them out as well.

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you planning on airbrushing them or using them straight from a can?

I've noticed Tamiya are selling paints in this country and they're mainly used for RC cars, you might get a semi decent finish with them.

With the plastikote an enamel base coat could be ok, you could try Wilko's own brand but buying spray paint can be expensive, especially if no good comes out of them.

I notice that plastikote do make their own primer paints depending on the material you intend to paint Plastikote 'Primer' Paints

Sorry I can't be of much help to be honest.

5. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Plastikote is better off sprayed from the can.

Use their own primers which they make - for instance my local B+Q has a huge range of them.

I would only use say Plastikote paints with the same brand primers. They are made to be used with Each other.

BUT if you are using a airbrush then use tamiya acrylics thinned with their own brand thinner - I use them and had good results. I've pretty much moved away from using brushes for whole customs and only use them for detail work now. Although a good technique still needs to be used to get them to lay flat - use thin light coats an leave to set for a couple of days. Hope this helps!