Plants vs Zombies

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Can't believe there isn't a thread on this game anywhere. I had heard a lot about it and decided to give it a shot. You can get a physical disk PC version fairly cheap. But it's worth every penny.

Kind of like a tower defense game, but a very different take on the genre. Plus it has a ton of mini-games and puzzles. Saw it's coming to the 360 later this year with multi-player built in.

Plus, now you can make your own "Zombatar" over at the games website.
    PopCap Games - Plants vs. Zombies

The closest thing to me as a cartoon zombie.

[​IMG]

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did this come out on Iphone at some point?

3. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My brother has this game for his Ipad, I think he told me he played it for 8 hours straight. Apparently the game is quite addicting.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok checking.

Yup, 2.99. I'll sheck it out.

5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It is on iPhone. However, the latest update is causing it to crash on start-up. No fix has been issued apparently. Why I got it on PC.

It is extremely addicting. On my 3rd play through of the Adventure mode.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's the price on PC? Nevermind, just found it. I'll give the trial a run.

7. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

I paid the $20 when it first came out at retail and it is definitely worth every bit spent on it.

My 8 year old son gets a kick out of it as well. Some of the strategies he comes up with are astounding.

8. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I have it for iPad and PC. This is one of the best tower defense type games I have played. My kids love it too. My only complaint with the ipad version is there does not seem to be as many minigames as in the PC version. Otherwise this game was made for the iPad.

9. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I love this game. This is zombie me:

[​IMG]

10. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

Picked this game up on sale from Steam a while ago. IT'S A STEAL!!! I'm really excited if it comes to the xbox 360 :D 

11. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Where is it 2.99? During Steam's sale event?

12. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No, on iPod/iPhone it's only $3.

Also, best end credits song since Portal's Still Alive.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Had it on PC since day 1. Got it on iPhone day 1. Will get it on XBLA day one.

Yeah boyee.

14. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    They're releasing it on a PopCap 3 game disc in September for the 360. I'll be buying that.

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

My Mum called me every day for like two weeks to talk to me about this game. I was so proud.

16. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been meaning to pick this up for a while now.

17. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    For those that may be having a hard time with the game here is my strategy to beating the game.

Crazy Dave's Shop
    • Crazy Dave's Shop...Visit it and get to know the good stuff.
    • Buy the double Sunflower and 4-Shot Repeater ASAP.
    • Once you get to pool levels, buy the extra defense and Cattail. The Cattail will turn the tide in any pool battle.
    • Once you get to the roof, buy the roof defense.
    • Buy the extra items slots as soon as you have enough money.

General Strategy
    • On daytime and roof levels, your back row should be all sunflowers (upgraded to double sunflowers asap). Putting sunflowers anywhere else puts them in danger of being eaten.
    • On pool levels, but the sunflowers in two rows above and below the pool.
    • Try to have each row be the same weapon. This will ensure consistency as difficult enemies can appear on any row.
    • Always, always keep a cheap weapon in your inventory. Later on, you'll be tempted to stock up on all the powerful weapons. But without a 100 sun or less priced weapon, the zombies will kill you before you have a chance to build the first big weapon.
    • Keep an explosive handy on every level.
    • Spiked mushrooms will be your savior on any level against vehicle zombies.
    • Pumpkins are a great protector of the plants. If a zombie is getting too close, plop one of these onto the closest plant to give yourself extra time.
    • The split pea is great to help combat miners. But a magnet is even better. On dayttime levels, use the coffee bean to wake up a couple of magnet shrooms.
    • Use the flaming tree stump in conjunction with the pea shooters and freezing shooters/catapults against strong zombies like the goliath zombies and bucket heads.

Daytime Levels
    • Single shot pea shooters, repeaters, and ice pea shooters will win nearly any daytime battle.
    • On later daytime levels, keep a coconut handy to keep football and bucket head zombies at bay.
    • If the level has javelin or pogo zombies, use the large coconut (if you've acquired it). They can't hop over it.
    • If you encounter a level with a zamboni zombie, make sure you have the chili pepper equipped. It melts the ice they leave behind, preventing bobsled and ice skating zombies.

Nightime Levels
    • On nighttime levels, load up front of the yard with the free mushroom shooters.
    • The back row on this should be all sun mushrooms. The second to last should be all sunflowers. Nighttime levels will often take more to defeat the zombies, so the extra sun will come in handy.
    • The fume mushroom is a great cheap weapon. Use that as your cheap weapon and skip the regular pea shooter. Go for the repeater instead.
    • The freeze shroom is nearly required for levels with football and bucket head zombies.

Pool Levels
    • Have at least two Cattails on any pool level.
    • Load up the pool with a lot of weapons early. Zombies hit that later, so it's easy to forget about them.
    • On levels with the dolphin trainer zombie, use the large coconut to foil his jump.
    • The kelp plant isn't necessary, but can help in a tight jam on final waves.
    • On nighttime pool levels, mix these tips with the nighttime levels but add the floating mushroom shooter to the mix. Load the front of the pool up with these shooters for best results.

Roof Levels
    • Never use a single corn launcher as a your first weapon. It's extremely weak, and while it can stop an enemy with a butter shot, those are few and far between.
    • The watermelon launcher will be your bestest friend ever once you acquire it. Use it as much as possible.
    • When you acquire the frozen watermelon upgrade, upgrade any watermelon launchers asap. However, for best results upgrade a middle launcher first instead of one at the very top or very bottom.
    • Plant new pots at every possible spot. They will help keep zombies at bat. Protect the first pot in each lane with a pumpkin and/or a coconut or Wal-Nut.
    • Any level with a bungee zombie use umbrella leafs to cover your plants. I literally plant them in every other post to protect my plants.

End Boss
    • Save all of you freeze shrooms and chili peppers. Do not use them on regular zombies.
    • Plant the catapults as quickly as possible and as spread out as you can.
    • When the boss leans over so you can see his head, freeze the level with a freeze shroom. But always keep at least one freeze shroom available.
    • Use the freeze shroom to combat fireballs.
    • Use the chili pepper to combat snow balls.

There are many other plants I haven't discussed. Some will come in handy at times, some won't. Usignthe strategies above, I have beaten the game 3 times over. Good luck.

18. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Thanks for the strategies Joe! I will have to print that out when I finally get it on XBL. I just wonder if it will work as well on a console as on a PC or touch screen, as I know it requires some very hectic clicking sometimes.

19. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    From what I've read, they made some in-game adjustments to compensate for lack of mouse support. The made the shoulder buttons scroll through the weapons and the shoulder triggers pull sun towards your cursor, instead of requiring you to click them.

20. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

That sounds manageable. I know my father-in-law and I will be getting it as soon as it's on the XBL Arcade.