Customs: Planning to do Classics customs, need help.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Don_East, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Don_East

Don_East Wants TFA Seeker Toys

Hi, I'm have some interesting ideas I want to try out and I need to know what certain kind of paint I should use.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    A lot of the best information I could give you is in the Exhaustive Kitbasher's Resource thread at the top of this page. In terms of first hand knowledge, I can tell you stuff I just learned a few nights ago while stripping paint off of Classics Magnus:

-The paint they use on the clear plastic does not come off with Isoprohpyl Alcohol, you'll need to spot-wipe that paint off with Testor's-style paint thinner
    -Classics Prime/Magnus is a joy to disassemble and has much less screws than most of the dudes I've taken apart recently.

3. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I use a combination of brushable acrylics (Delta and Tamiya primarily) and sprayable paints made for adhering to plastics. Tamiya makes some, as does Krylon (Fusion).

IMO the best thing a customizer can do is to plan the project to death, and to take an appropriate amount of time. You'll realize very quick that it is a much slower process than you may want it to be, well for me at least. This is especially true if you fully dissasemble the toy and sand the joints down to make it more functional (i.e. transformable).

But as Ops said read the FAQ and get going. The best way to improve is just to keep on trying and practicing.

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I realize looking through threads can be a pain, so here's my two cents:

testors model master acrylics: they're hard as hell when they dry, so you don't have to worry about it scratching off, unless it's on a joint where nothing will stay.

some soft brushes of varying widths.

if you're looking to recolor an entire body one color, krylon fusion is really good, but IMO is overkill on anything smaller than an alternator. it's good on large surfaces where you don't want to worry about brush strokes.

hope that helps!