Planning to Buy some G1 pretenders and seeking advice

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by grimlock1972, Jan 11, 2012.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I have decided to add some of the G1 Pretenders figures to my collection soon and wanted to get some input on what i should be looking for and what i should be paying. Also any recommendations would be welcome , I am planning to devote $200 total to this and perhaps more later. Thanks in advance.

2. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    G1 Pretenders are pretty cool, in my opinion.

I'd actually recommend the 1988 smaller Pretenders over the larger ones from 1987, due to the fact that the small Pretenders ones have nicer inner robots / alt modes. Also, the three Hasbro Mega Pretenders are pretty cool (esepcially Thunderwing). The first 1987 series Pretenders are probably the weakest, strangely enough.

$200... That's a fair budget. Some Pretenders can be found (loose but complete) for relatively little money ($30-$50), although the well-known characters (like Bludgeon, Thunderwing) and the Mega Pretenders will be pretty expensive to track down complete versions of ($150+).

My personal favorites:
    Bludgeon,
    Stranglehold,
    Octopunch,
    Thunderwing,
    Vroom,
    Skullgrin,
    Iguanus

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    What do you feel about the pretenders with vehicle shells Gunrunner and Road grabber?

4. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only Pretenders I have are the two I've had since I was a kid - Bomb Burst and Catilla. Even though the inner robots are pretty weak, I've always loved the shells. Catilla has always reminded me of Battle Cat, and Bomb Burst is just cool.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I unhesitatingly recommend the 1989 stuff: Thunderwing, Octopunch, Bludgeon, Vroom and the Pretender Monsters.

Roadgrabber is... tch. Okay, I suppose. I like the vehicle shell, but the inner robot is kinda forgettable.

6. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

Roadgrabber is pretty cool, not that great of a inner bot transformation but I like that the shell/car is used as a gun platform thing when he's in bot mode. never had Gunrunner.

I really like Pincher, he has IMO what is THE best inner bot. Outter bot is not that cool though

7. alldarker

News Credits:
    They're OK: in fact Roadgrabber was the very first Pretender I ever owned, but I don't really see them as good examples of the 'Pretender gimmick'. They got the crappy inner robot 'right', but in my opinion the vehicles shouldn't be called Pretender shells: I'd say they are just transports. And they are a bit useless considering the inner bots already have alt modes. The Headmasters did 'vehicle shells' a lot better.

The Pretender animals are actually pretty cool though, and might be worth looking onto: I only own Chainclaw and Carnivac, but I've been eyeing the rest for a while.

8. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Avoid pincher....

until I get the inner robot and inner accessories. :D  I hate pretenders but he was one of only a few tfs I had as a kid and I am trying to complete my childhood collection.

If anyone has the inner robots or accessories for sale, pm me ,)

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Unless you just don't care about the shells (which defeats the purpose to me), buy them complete. You'll definitely need more than $200 though.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm strangely fond of Bludgeon and Chainclaw. Chainclaw's original stickers are terrible about curling up though.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
  12. alldarker

News Credits:
    Like someone else in that thread also mentioned, I too felt stressed watching your tutorial! Useful though, although I'd probably sand down the non-gold plastic parts rather than drill into the gold parts!

I'd LOVE to own both Skyhammer and/or Roadblock, but the GPS just puts me off buying one on eBay. They are just too expensive for me to take a change on GPS disintegration. Same goes for Pretender monsters.

13. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've still got my G1 Decepticon Megapretender Roadblock and really recommend it! In replying to this thread it turns out I wrote a minireview lol.

Although I got this towards the end of my childhood time actually 'playing' with toys, i still find it fun.

The massive vehicle shell itself doesn't really have much to do with TF's but is alot of fun to roll through Autobots with it's massive front mounted shovel and with a large gun / platform that reminds me of Rodimus gun platform manned by the inner robot. All the figure weapons have attachment points on the vehicle. The vehicle shell literally just flips open and the pretender just lays inside.

The pretender is pretty cool and can transform between armoured bat face humanoid to a techno-organic hover flyer that Batman would be proud of. The flyer has a cockpit that opens to allow the inner robot to sit inside. The pretender has two rifles that attach in both monster and flyer mode as well as mounting on the vehicle shell. Due to the transformation the pretender arms have shoulder and elbow hinges, so you actually have posing options!

The inner robot scares the crap out of me as an adult collector, due to being made entirely of gold plastic. The figure is modern scout sized and due to transformation has rotation in it's shoulders and at the hips of each separate leg. The inner figure has it's own smaller double pistol that also attaches to the vehicle shell. The figure has a basic transformation in to a future car type vehicle. The vehicle is fun for what it is, but feels redundant when the figure has access to a larger (faster?) tank and a flyer mode.

Overall I rate the concept highly and despite a few flaws it is well executed.

14. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

I just sold all of mine except two because I hate them. PM me if you are interested and I'll look up their names for you and take pictures. I didn't keep the two because I want them. I just ran out of motivation to keep listing on Ebay

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Sanding down the non-gold parts wouldn't have stressed you out, though! The main thing is that I was very careful in doing so, and the holes are what needed widening. If need be, I can always by another with the gold parts I need or have those parts reproed (which is what I'd like to do at some point with my gold figures from G1). If the non-gold portions are altered, I'd have to reacquire those as well.

I'm not going to let GPS stop me from enjoying figures - whatever the cost! If there is a will, there is a way!