Planning to buy a PS3, what do i need to know?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by grimlock1972, Apr 19, 2012.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    what the thread title says and I would also like game recommendations.

I like FPS and RPGS.

2. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

PS3s are pretty self explanatory, or at least to me they are. As for game recommendations, the Uncharted series is a must. There is a game called Borderlands; it's a FPS RPG, and since you like both of those genres, I suggest you check that out too.

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Uncharted, God of War, Resistance, and Killzone.

4. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'm playing DC Universe Online right now, its a blast. It's free to play also.

5. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    IF you like RPGs, can't go wrong with Tales of Graces F.

6. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FPS: BF3

RPG: Skyrim

I'm not too big on exclusives but I've heard good things about the Uncharted series.

7. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

Valkyria Chronicles. Do it immediately, it has everything you want.

You can thank me later. :wink: 

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This, oh goodness this. It's a hell of a fun ride.

Other recommendations:

Mass Effect 2 and 3
    Bioshock 1 and 2

9. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If a technological ****** like me can run a PS3 then so can you. Just keep in mind that new PS3s can't play PS2 disks but they can play most PS1 disks. My old fatty couldn't play Spyro 2 or many PS2 games so it may have just been him.

I mostly play fighting games and RPGs so I don't really have too many suggestions.
    Tales of Graces f

Persona 3: FES(PSN release)

3D Dot Game Heroes is fairly under-rated. I really enjoyed it.

SoulCalibur V is pretty good. It doesn't have as much single player content as the previous games but the gameplay is solid, and it's being supported by Namco.

Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core is being put up with online play which is awesome. That's a great series. The Legend of Dragoon is going to be on the PSN May 1st. Just don't go in expecting it to be the best game ever.

10. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    If you want serious games and not your run of the mill AAA blockbuster FPS then pick up Deus EX: human Revolution, Singularity, the Orange box, Portal 2, Resistance (best is 3, though it might be good to play the previous games to get the story) and Bioshock (one). And while not an FPS I consider Vanquish the greatest shooter this gen.
    Some good RPGs are Dark Souls, Tales of Graces F, Nier, Resonance of Fate, Alpha Protocol, and Skyrim. I'd avoid Final Fantasy XIII.

Though in my opinion the best game to get for the PS3 is Infamous. The game is just amazing.

11. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you are unsure if you would like online with any game it's nice to know that you will not have to pay extra to try it out. I play some games online and it nice to know that if I don't play online in a months time that I not just wasting money.
    This would be why I cancelled my home phone line I never used it, however I kept paying a bill every month just to have it.

12. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just a little help, keep it well ventilated, make sure you leave the vents unblocked. I personally keep mine of an extremely holey shelf, unblocked by anything. As for game selections, I can't really help out, besides mentioning what others have, get Borderlands. Also if you're ALWAYS playing games, but don't want to go broke, I suggest getting a subscription to Gamefly, for two game rentals(two out at once) it's $25 usually, and you can hold onto them for awhile.

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Thanks all, your recommendations are duly noted. I can't really do online due to having satellite Internet .

14. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Tales of Graces f! Do it! Do it for the RPG lover in you!

15. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    If you like FPS' but can only do campaign, then I got nothing to recommend. Only FPS' I got are Online only. I can recommend some over-theshoulder shooters though. Elder Scrolls might be up your alley. It's an RPG, but can be played in both First Person and in Third person.
    I havn't had my PS3 long enough to work up a library of RPG's, so nothing to recommend there really.

In terms of keeping the systen in check though, I do recommend you hook to up internet at least once. Just long enough to sign up for PSN. Signing up for PSN automatically activates Trophies, and I recommend that whenever you get a new game, you at least try to get connected to see if there are any new patches or updates to download. Sometimes games have glitches that are fixed later, so always check. Might take a while to download if you're running satelite though.

I don't recommend standing the PS3 upright if you have any pets, or if your house is the kind that tends to vibrate if you stomp your feet. If your house is solid, and you have no pets, then lay it flat on it's belly. Make sure the vents aren't covered up. Don't want your system to overheat.
    If you own an HDTV, be sure to pick up an HDMI cable. If you don't own an HDTV, start investing in one. You won't get the most out of the experience until you do.

That's all I can think of.

16. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On the subject of HDMI cables, it goes without saying that there is no difference between the super-expensive HDMI cables and the cheapest HDMI cables. Don't get sucked into paying more than necessary.

If you haven't played Dragon Age then I can thoroughly recommend that as well.

17. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Valkyria Chronicles. And buy your HDMI cables from Monoprice.com, like everyone else does.

18. blackTtop

blackTtop No this is not Patrick...

I've had my PS3 for about 5 years now and it's a great system! I haven't had any issues with it malfunctioning. Something that you need to watch out for, like everyone else has said, is keeping it well ventilated and relatively free of dust.

And just as a heads up, after it has been used for a couple of hours and is then turned off, when the plastic cools it will make pretty loud cracking noises. I was surprised when this happened the first time, but there's nothing wrong with it.

Also, if you plan on playing DVDs in it, the DVD drive, when it first starts, is also pretty loud. But it only lasts for a few seconds, and it plays the DVDs beautifully with an HD TV and an HDMI cable. Oh yeah and it's got BluRay, so yay.

As for hooking it up to the Internet using satellite, it's totally doable if you have an Ethernet cable or a wireless router. You might not be able to play multiplayer games because of the lag from the satellite, but you'll be able to download patches or games.

Games I recommend that are PS3 exclusive that I've played, that you might like are: Demon's Souls (RPG), Metal Gear Solid HD and 4 (shooters/stealth, but 3rd person or top down), Ratchet and Clank series (shooter, also 3rd person. All 4 one you can skip), and the Uncharted Series (shooter, 3rd person with some platforming).

Games I recommend that aren't PS3 exclusives that I've played and you might like are: Deus Ex: Human Revolution (1st person shooter or stealth with some RPG (my fav game)), Fallout 3 and New Vegas (1st person shooter with lots of RPG), and Skyrim (of course).

Games that I recommend that you might not like but are worth a try are: Shadow of the Colossus/ICO HD (adventure, puzzle solving), Bayonetta (action/fighting), Vanquish (insane 3rd person shooter), Red Dead Redemption (Grand theft auto with horses), and Dead Space series (3rd person survival/horror with some shooting IN SPACE).

19. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Fallout 3.

20. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Didn't the new slim systems drop all backwards compatability though?