Planning on getting a 360... thoughts..

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by rattrap007, Sep 21, 2007.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got a $240 dollar check from walmart for an uncashed paycheck from 2 years ago. I decided I'm going to use it towards a XBox 360. Finally get me a next gen system. Wii doesn't interest me too much, and PS3 is more expensive and not a lot of great games yet.

I have no interest in XBox Live or multiplayer online gaming at this time and doubt I will for a long time. What type of XBox 360 should I get? I was think about the Lite version and using the HD for game saves (That is what it is for right?) or should I just go with the core system? I don't need the elite since I don't plan on online gaming.

Also I plan on getting (eventually):
    Dead Reckoning
    Halo 1, 2, & 3
    Call of Duty 2 & 3
    Oblivion

What other games are real good. Also XBox games that are compatible are good too..

Thanks.

2. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

You'll need a Hard Drive to play Xbox games (and it needs to be connected to Live or you can download and burn discs), so your only real choice is a Pro system at $350. You could go for the core but it'll cost you more in the long run. I suggest having it connected to Live, you have a ton of content even with the free account. The Hard Drive is primarily for game saves but music can be ripped to it (and played in any game), game demos, Xbox Live Arcade games, DLC such as the Oblivion expansions and add ons, and downloaded media. Live also has a ton of demos for just about every game available so you can try before you buy.

I recomend Viva Pinata, the not released yet Virtua Fighter 5, and I would choose CoD4 over 3. Cod3's single player game wasn't that great but the multiplayer was fun, CoD2 is great fun especially on Veteran. Fable's a pretty fun Xbox game as well as Jet Set Radio Future and Ninja Gaiden/Black.

Edit: Also Skate, but only if you enjoy skateboarding as a sport or have some skating experience. Also Also, Ghost Recon Advanced War Fighter 2 - it has an enjoyable single player game.

3. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

Join the revolution--you will not regret your decision. I'm proud of you.

4. rattrap007

News Credits:
    good lord I hate having to pay for something like X-Box Live. I don't have wireless internet and I tried a little doggle thing for my DS and PSP and it crapped out (little piece of crap). I used to have wireless when I had a laptop and it fried itself out. Linksys piece of crap.

5. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    You need to buy a seperate adapter for $100 if you want to go wireless with the 360 anyway. Honestly, the 360 may seem cheaper, but they get you with everyhing that is not included. I have both systems, and the PS3 is the better value for your dollar.

6. seven

On 360 you can get whats called Xbox Live Silver, its basically Xbox Live Gold without the perk of playing games online and it is free, you still have the marketplace, demos, messaging, and a freinds list. Even if you could just run a wire for a short minute every day its worth having. Having a 360 without some form of Live is only having two thirds of the console.

You don't have to buy it, if you want wireless its the easiest way to go but there are cheaper alternatives as well as using it wired.

7. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I've never been a big fan of the 360. It's got WAY too many issues with overheating. The cooling fan doesn't run at the proper levels. My roommate has one and while it is a fun system, it freezes a lot because it can't cool down properly.

8. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I doesnt like you obviously. =P Have you been feeding it properly?

9. lildevilchick

:lol  It's not mine. I've played on it maybe twice - Halo 2 both times. Roomie plays it constantly. She loves it, even though it has its problems.

10. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

It's not on a carpet or in a confined space, right? 360s usually work well when they have breathing space.

11. lildevilchick

Nope, it's out in the open.

12. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I too recommend hooking the system up to Live. The FREE Silver account is still great, esp. since you already expressed that you didn't have any intentions to online multiplaying.

If the wireless thing is an issue, just buy a long ethernet cord and plug it in when you need to go online (like to play an Xbox game or you want to download free content).

13. rattrap007

News Credits:
    God I'm going to have to save up a shit load more money than I thought. Will need about $800 or so for a few games and all the accessories. I may just pass on the whole thing.

14. seven

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    You'll fall in love with Xbox live the moment you get. Dont get core system, waste of money. If you want to watch movies, might as well get PS3 becuase it'll cost the same eventually.

Try the intercooler for $20. It works wonders.

16. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Dont, its cheaper than the PS3. PS3 cost me up to 800 even; Xbox cost us probably 500.

17. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I may just get the mid priced one. That should hold plenty of stuff right? Since I won't be downloading games or anything. OR do I really need the huge Hard Drive?

It was just when you talked about XBox Live silver and all I thought "Oh dear god I really need all this online crap to use the damn thing?" Figured I didn't.

I'd definately get an intercooler. May look at a TF face plate or something too for style. DO that and make a list of games. Still got a while to save up a lot of money for it.

18. seven

If your just playing games then the bigger hard drive is useless. If/When youre purchasing the system look on the side fo the box and make sure it reads HDMI at the bottom of the features/contents list. The systems with HDMI are the newest ones with all the hardware tweaks.

I have an intercooler and while it does cool the system noticably it also has a tendancy to cause the systems fans to not synch right when it first starts up which causes an awful sound. It also makes the 360 sound like a blackhawk. There is a new version of this with metal power connectors (the first one was plastic) and some other improvements so i'd look for that one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Custom faceplates FTW!

19. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Did you buy those or make them? I have an extra white faceplate from when Microsoft sent my 360 back to me. (Wish they would have sent an extra hard drive too.) I thought about trying to customizing it, but wasn't sure if its possible.

20. seven

I painted them myself. I picked up 7 of the silver faceplates at a local Wal Mart for $1 a piece. I have a few others that I've been working on, one of which has a medallion supported by a post for the power button, but I'm just terribly lazy.

You can leave it all in one piece to paint it, I snap the plastic connectors holding the metal plate for the bottom usb door and pull off the button to connect controllers. I just use epoxy to put them back on afterwards. The connect button usually stays kind of bent if you just put tape over it.