Planning on buying a G1 Ultra Magnus this week

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rustyshark, Sep 9, 2009.

1. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

Well as sometimes happens sometimes I just gain interest in a particular character or figure and I decide to go after it next. This week I am wanting to get a G1 Ultra Magnus. Ive seen plenty on ebay so will most likely go that route as I can get a complete loose Ultra Magnus for pretty decent deals.
    Anyways, I have seen rubber wheel versions and plastic wheel versions, missles that fire and that dont fire, so im trying to get an idea of how to tell a real original g1 ultra magnus from a reissue, and if there are knock offs I need to worry about as well. Any help would be great. Im planning to buy on Friday so thanks for any info

2. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

The original Magnus had rubber tires and the missiles used to fire, additional, hjis face was silver. There is a running change from the original, where he had plastic tires, missiles were unable to fire and his face was blue. My first Magnus was the plastic tire one, and I loved it back in 1986. I now own a TRU reissue and his quality is incredible. I love him, and btw, good choice for a purchase.

3. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

the hasbro reissue has shortened smokestacks and longer missles.

4. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Congrats, but if you are planning on getting G1 (reissue), Ultra Magnus.

Go with G1. Considering you get more, and if you don't like it, you have some money right there.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    also the small white prime's face is white on plastic tires and blue on rubber, american reissues have long missiles and short stacks,

6. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

thinkin about getting a sky lynx to but not sure yet. ive been revisting season 3 so its got me wanting a few of the toys lol

7. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99.9999999999999% sure that a G1 vintage Magnus never had firing missiles.

And if you want to get crazy, there's a ton of "variants" of Ultra Magnus:

UltraMagnus: Dealing with it NOW!

8. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    If you can get a G1 with silver face detail it makes alot of difference. It really help the look of the toy

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    He didn't. I have that original release version that rodimusconvoy was talking about (rubber tires, die-cast, painted faces, etc.) and the only way his missiles fire is if you aim straight down - there are no springs inside the launcher (which is easy to see as they just pull right apart).