Planning ahead for my future

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rayzilla Prime, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Since I've been planning my career of choice lately, I've been considering going into cartooning for a career, and I'm asking if there are any comic book publishers that I can look to that are hiring over the internet. Any help?

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This may not be what you want to hear, but honestly *DO NOT* seriously pursue cartooning as a career. It is an extremely tiny market that is completely over-saturated. Your best bet would be to look at going into graphic design or technical drawing (or a similar field that is equally employable) and keep up the cartooning as a hobby.

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Agreed.

Your best bet at all is to pepper the syndicate companies with copies of your work, Andy Dufresne style, until you get a response one way or the other.

But yeah. It's crazy tough to get into, and I wouldn't bet on making it your primary source of income until you get feedback.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Whoa whoa whoa.

Slow down with the solid advice there, mate.

But yeah, what he said. I know that into today's world of "feeling good" and Whale Warriors, that's not what anyone wants to hear, but it's the truth.

5. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm going to go the opposite and say follow your dreams and you will never be disappointed.

PS. Open yourself up to the idea of prostitution.

6. Rayzilla Prime

For as witty as I am, I believe you put me in checkmate. I'm speechless.

7. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Do you really want to end be the "Charachturist" guy at the county fair guy in a few years?

8. Rayzilla Prime

Maybe "cartooning" wasn't the right word to use. I was actually aiming at "comic book artist". But in order to do that, I'd need to go into graphic design (or something like it), like Llamatron said, to get a start.

9. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

You knwo I've considered cartooning too but I realized I would rather have as a hobby and go full force onto studying architecture (sp?) and then maybe a contractor, I love building and hate office jobs.

10. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Good luck Rayzilla. One of my college friends is trying to get a job at Marvel.

11. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    No you don't. You'll never make more money than someone working at Rite Aid no matter how much of a name you are, but you can be a jerk off the streets and get a job in comics as long as you can make pretty arts.

Do whatever you can to get into the Kubert school - then go into game/concept design or storyboarding and then slide into comics that way on the side. If you do this, you'll be fine AND you'll be able to afford to buy stuff sometimes. Like food. Or t-shirts from Old Navy. :) 

Here is the most useful advice I've gotten over the years though, and it's absolutely true: If you can actually finish a complete comic book in less than a month, someone, somewhere will publish you. Good luck.

12. Rayzilla Prime

Easier said than done. :rolleyes: 

Since I'm looking for a publisher, I've heard of Bluewater Productions - heard of 'em? One of the guys I'm watching on deviantART is doing a comic that's being published by them - and it's even set to be sold in stores. I'm sure there were a few strings to be pulled for it to happen, for the real world, especially now, is not a cake walk.

13. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Do you have examples of your work to share? How are your skills in photoshop and illustrator? What do you feel is your strongest skill?

I have friends and acquaintances who are at varying levels of success in the industry. From the disgruntled artist who "Got screwed over," to the guy with a web comic that has a small following, to a guy working at Devil's Due. Each one had distinct reasons for ending up where they did, and I'll tell you this much, it wasn't about skill level.

14. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Hey, this reminds me. There's a webcomic that I can't remember the name to - it's like stick figures, and they had a strip once on how predictable of a setup it was:

"Setup"
    "Punchline"
    "Awkward silence"

What is it I'm thinking about?

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've seen that also, and I wanna say it was "Cyanide & Happiness," but I'm not sure.

16. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

This may not be what you want to hear but there is a high probability of it not working out the way you planned. If I where you I would try to get a steady source of income you're own place, car, ect. and then pursue you're dreams once you're set up with life.

That way at least you wont have to live with your parents until you're 40.

17. Rayzilla Prime

Check my deviantART page.

But yeah, it's more than just purty pictures - gotta build up popularity. Then for the comic itself, a good plot with good dialogue with pictures that flow with it all gets somewhere.

I haven't been myself lately for some reason, so I'm not thinking clearly. But I believe that's what I really meant to begin with. I guess made it sound like "I'm considering comic book drawer/writer for full-time job". But all in all, I really started this thread to ask if anyone knew of any publishers I can look to.

18. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Sorry, you said "I'm thinking of pursuing comic book making as a career anyone know of any publishers I can contact." I thought when you said career you meant your main source of income.

My bad.

19. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Yes, it is easier to say you're going to finish a 22 page book in 3 weeks than to actually do it - even one time, let alone month in and month out.

Looking over your DA folio, you're not ready for that yet. You need to look into serious schooling, if not Kuberts like I suggested above, then at least an Art Institute or sequential specific design course. Unless you have a secret cache of finished stuff you aren't sharing on your DA page, you're nowhere near having a portfolio that will get you work anywhere. Period.

Just keep drawing, start hanging out @ the eatpoo.com and penciljack.com forums for tips and ideas, draw more, and again - look into school. Also, draw more (all the time)!!! :D 

20. Rayzilla Prime

Meh, I wasn't specific enough. Like I said, I've been out of it lately, so I've not been going into enough details.

I see what you mean. I'm just using a generic photo-editing/manipulation program (Adobe PhotoDeluxe 3.1) to color my stuff, and I've never had any formal teachings on this stuff. I've pretty much gotten to where I am on my own.

I'm waiting for someone in an Optimus Prime voice to say "You've much yet to learn!"