Customs: Planned Combaticon kitbashes... Onslaught?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SMOG, May 7, 2007.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I don't usually ask the forum for opinions on how to handle a kitbash, but I'm have a hard time deciding how to proceed in something...

For a while now, I've been planning on kitbashing a larger-scale group of Combaticons out of some existing figures from different lines. On the one hand, I'm fairly lazy... I won't be molding a lot of new parts or doing extensive painting. On the other hand, I will be doing head swaps and dyeing to get things looking right.

The plan is to make them combine, which I have mostly worked out, though I haven't figured out what kind of connectors I'd use.

So far, this is what I'm working with:
    Brawl = RID Bludgeon (Hero Megatron mold, new head)
    Vortex = Armada Cyclonus (new head and some re-jointing)
    Swindle = Cybertron Defense Hotshot (new head)
    BlastOff = Classics Astrotrain (new head)

I'm stuck when it comes to Onslaught though. So far I'm considering Cybertron Defense Red Alert, Costco Armada Optimus, and now Movie Voyager Ratchet.

Red Alert is a good size, and has a superficial resemblance to Onslaught. His white plastic should be easy to dye as well.

Movie Ratchet I was planning on modding into a more military vehicle anyway... adding a turret, repainting, giving him fists, etc...

Costco Armada Prime has some advantages too... he's almost the right colours already and he's designed to transform into a torso... he even has a spot for an internal combiner head.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc...?

zmog

2. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I'd say go with CD Red Alert

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yeah, CD Red Alert sounds good. If I may suggest something: you could also try going with CD Scattershot.

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

What about Cybertron Prime? If you take off the firetruck pieces, he becomes a long, mean-lookin' flatbed truck. You could swap out his chest windows with a more Onslaught-ish chest plate, and the way his feet are set up to already have a "combined mode" might help ultimately in forming Bruticus.

He would look pretty badass in Onslaught colors, too!

Barring that, I'd say Armada Prime. CD Hot Shot seems too similar to the mold you're using for Swindle, to me.

5. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    Cybertron Mudflap with some mods would look pretty good as onslaught....

6. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I didn't even think of CD Scattorshot... I wanna change my original answer. :) 

7. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    Well outside the norm here, but what would you be able to do with say... a Cybertron Prime? Now wait hear me out... look at the similarities in alt mode if you yank that massive jetpack, water blaster deal off.

Assuming, of course, that you can. I don't know, I'm just looking at the smaller version and thinking outloud.

8. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    For onslaught, I would try and use Cybertron Mudflap. I have actually considered that bash myself, but I was stuck on how to make the large double barrel gun for him.

9. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Brawl = RID Bludgeon (Hero Megatron mold, new head)

I have RID Bludgeon. It is a crappy mold, loose joints and I think you'll scrap your project using him. In robot mode, he is unstable and falls very easely. Making a combiner using him as a leg, hmmm, I'd think about it twice.
    The idea is great but you'd have to improve bludgeon before making anything out of him.

10. SMOG

I love CD Scattershot... but I'm thinking that moves too far away from the Onslaught concept of being a truck of some sort. He also seems maybe a bit small for my purposes, and besides, I don't have a spare CD Scattershot :) .
    Hmmm... I like the flatbed, though he's awfully big, and it would take some work to make him un-Prime-like. Also, in general, I want this team to look pretty "authentic"... Cybertron OP looks like a "future truck" no matter how you alter him. Still not a bad idea... if I had a spare Cybertron Prime, I'd be thinking about it. :) 
    That's not bad at all really... I totally didn't think of Mudflap at all. He does look a fair bit like Onslaught except for the head and crane...
    I have an RID Bludgeon too, and I know what you mean. I'm planning on giving him actual feet so he can stand properly (got a plan for that), and adding some tension to his joints. I'm also going to find an alternative gun instead of that oversized air bellows he has.

I've also already tested him in a "leg" mode, and he's pretty sturdy the way I have him. Also, his height matches up well with the "Swindle" leg mode. And, of course, he really does look almost exactly like Brawl (similar transformation). :) 

Thanks for the feedback folks! I really want to make this happen, so I'll supply pics as it comes together (not sure when that will be).

In the meantime, anyone have a suggestion for where to obtain cheap "combaticon" style heads? Most of them have very similar heads, so it's be great if I could find a dollar store KO robot or something with the right head, and just alter them slightly for Brawl, Blastoff and Vortex...

zmog

11. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Are you going to have them combine to form Bruticus?

12. jazz1914

jazz1914 moonbase survivor

for brawl i'd use classics megs!

13. SMOG

Yep! That's the plan. I have the "leg mode" mostly figured out for Brawl and Swindle, though I haven't decided on an actual connector system yet. How Blastoff and Vortex form arms will depend on what figure I use for Onslaught.

Naaah... he's way too small. Part of my reason for making this custom is to have Combaticons in a respectable size, at least Deluxe scale each. Classics 2pack Megs is almost a basic in size, and I don't think he'd be able to carry his weight as a leg.

Also, while I like the rest of the figure, that spinny-arm thing drives me crazy! :) 

zmog

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I'm going to have to agree that Cybertron Mudflap is the best bot to use for Onslaught. His truck mode is near perfect for what's needed and his bot mode is of a decent size. With plenty of wide, flat, smooth surfaces to work with he should be easy to whip up a combiner mode for.

Also, as far as combiner joints go, would there be any chance you could use the energon combiner bits? They're very strong, yet allow great movement while not being overly imposing on the individual bots.

15. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    dude...whatever you go with i already want to buy it....

16. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I like the CD Scattershot idea, one of my favorite molds....but the Mudflap idea sounds pretty good too.

17. SMOG

Yeah, those would likely do the trick, though incorporating the actual flexing joints that the Energon combiner limbs have in their bodies would probably be a no-go.

The down side to this project (and all my projects), is that I'm on a budget, so I either have to work with available materials, or stuff that I can pick up very cheaply. Being Canada, where we have few insane Walmart and Target clearance sales, I don't have a lot of Energon combiners to burn for their joints. :( 

I'm still dithering. Mudflap seems ideal for the vehicle mode, but the more I think about it, I'm not feeling it. I'm also concerned with how hard it'll be to get a good torso out of him. Right now, Costco Armada Prime seems to be a front runner, though he'll take a bit more work. I still have a spare CD Red Alert though. Hmmmm.

Maybe I'll have to post some mock-up pictures before I can convince anyone about the Costco Prime. :) 

zmog