Planet X PX-01 Genesis Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Optibotimus, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

Waiting for my preorder to hit the ground at Toy-Arena.

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Nice im jealous!

im pretty stoked bout this guy cant wait to have him battle some seekers

3. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone tried, or at least discussed, putting the YotS head on this thing?

4. benclark1982

benclark1982 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If this thing was only cheaper i would buy him. I just cannot justify the huge price tag.

5. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    If I'm able to acquire one, I'll look into the measurements of the face on YOTS Omega (which is a separate piece from the rest of the head, btw), and decide whether or not it would look okay.

6. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

That base mode made me pull the trigger. I figure with selling 75% of my collection I don't need to worry about the price.
    And from everything I've heard this thing is better quality than most of Hasbro's offerings over the past two years.

Going to look soooooo good on the shelf squaring off against Hercules.

What I really wonder is how well I can incorporate him and the new Metroplex together in base modes.

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I suspect he might have a face under the face plate. so all you'd need is a new visor which I'm sure someone can do before to long or a whole new face as is needed.

Oh and I'd like to see him with some toy car track displayed around him or train track etc..

For example if anyone has the mini-scalectric Bumblebee and Barricade set .. or the Devastator Speedstars track to give a couple of suggestions.

--------

How many places stock him ?

I bet he'd cost a small fortune for someone in the UK simply due to the shipping - though Shipping from North America is way cheaper than from Asia on a large item. not to mention 20% VAT (ouch)

8. Devastator77

Devastator77 Well-Known Member

For the price is like a Masterpiece. So trust me its worth it. Hasbro will not make this figure the way they did. its a heavy figure.

9. Ghilbert

Ghilbert Active Member

alredy tried to remove the visor on mine... there isn't a face under it, sorry...

10. ATLMYK

ATLMYK Well-Known Member

So you're saying you want to see this toy with the worst feature of the year of the snake Omega Supreme, the pinhead with a weird face. It really is god awful. If anything Project X's head could give year of the snake Omega a proper Omega Supreme head.

11. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    Oh come on now! I can understand people not liking the scale of the head on YOTS Omega, but saying the face is weird? The face is identical to the game model. If Genesis had a face, it would probably look just like it.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That looks like some weird stunted bird hugging and kissing the rocket. The shorter base mode is way better.

I have warmed up to this guy, but I still can't drop $300 on it.

13. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do what I plan to do. Sell stuff on ebay to cover most of the cost then tell yourself its only like $100. Once money is in my paypal I mentally think of it as just extra cash. Once I hit around $200 or so in there Ill pull the trigger. Even cancelled my YOTS version "saving" myself $100 for the year.

14. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    How many places stock it and at what prices. ?

Is it another one of those 3rd parties who ignores Kapow / Toyz&Gamez etc..?

or are to many retailers even if given the option to buy it are scared off buying it as they'd be spending several Thousand on any decent number of them on what might be slow moving stock (perhaps) ?

If someone said you could order it tomorrow for £200.00 I'd probably buy it without a second thought if I had anything close to that going spare at the time.

Partly as I want to encourage them to make enough money to make Trypticon too and I just feel he fits in really nicely - not to mention p**ing all over Hasbro's YOTS Omega Supreme like 2007 Movie Bumblebee over Symonds.

Not that I dislike Hasbro's YOTS completely I just preferred him as a Headmaster and I prefer the Energon Omega Sentinel's colours a lot more anyway. Thought YOTS's Battleship mode is a better vehicle I'd not be buying Genesis for his vehicle mode it would be mainly to display with Hasbro's new Metroplex I suppose.

I wonder if it's possible to "redress" Fortress Maximus with new accessories not only to make use of all those junker bodies that area about but to turn it into something that would display even better with Genesis and Hasbro Metroplex. Perhaps even directly link in base mode.

15. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The head is game-accurate. It's really the only thing missing from this one.

16. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

Had a brief moment to open my Project Genesis figure last night. Re-posting this from the discussion thread.

Short version: awesome figure. High price. Is it worth it? That's up to you.

My personal opinion: maybe. If it were the only option for an Omega Supreme, I'd say yes, absolutely. As it is, I'm withholding final judgment until I can compare with a YOTS Omega Supreme with Maketoys' city-bot add-on kit.

The only real downside I've found so far is that now I want to buy Cyberverse figures, because he seems to be the perfect scale for them.

-----

So I had a *very brief* chance to open up the box and check this thing out yesterday. As such I only have a few quick observations to share.

The sheer size of this figure is mind-numbing. I grabbed a few figures I had nearby to give an idea of the scale. Here it is along with Darkwind (Ultra class), Nemesis Prime (Voyager class) and Shockwave (Deluxe):

[​IMG]

I don't have any smaller figures than that (except legends wheelie), and honestly, looking at it, I'm tempted to go pick up some Cyberverse figures for scale.

The plastic is SOLID. This is a heavy figure, and there's a lot of plastic above the waist. Not a single piece feels brittle or weak. But, because of the weight, with his legs straight, holding the claw straight out in front of him will cause him to tip over. So if you're going to pose the guy, you need to really pose him - legs need to be adjusted, feet angled, hips tilted and so forth.

I'd like to point out that a lot of official TF figures are this way, too - holding an arm out with a weapon in hand typically puts the figure off balance. Because Genesis' arms are so huge and the figure is so tall and heavy, the unbalancing effect is a little exaggerated. I know this seems obvious, but because the figure has such a solid feel to it, for some reason I wasn't expecting normal physics to apply.

The joints are strong - REALLY strong. Adjusting the elbows required more force than I expected, but there's a really satisfying "click-snap" noise when they ratchet around.

The claw gimmick is neat - I had the counter-rotating thing going briefly, but it seems like the gears used to make it work are only loosely connected on the inside of the arm. Dunno if that is intentional or not, but again, I didn't have a lot of time to really play with it much. Here he is holding Shockwave, who is just tiny in comparison:

[​IMG]

The claws are nice and strong, with three joints on each (you can see them clearly in the picture there, as I haven't put any of the "plugs" in place to cover the screw holes). I don't know how much he can lift - we've seen pictures of him holding Hercules up - but I expect it's a lot. There's a really sturdy structure here.

I haven't played with the base mode or the spaceship mode yet; I only had it out of the box for maybe half an hour. I don't have a shelf configuration tall enough for him, so he had to go back in the box.

Here's some bullet points:

- mass: great
    - strength: incalculable
    - size: overwhelming
    - design: fantastic
    - scale: cyberverse (?)
    - price: staggering

Yes, the big question: is this figure worth the cost (which seems to be about US $350 average)? I have NO IDEA. The only other third party figures I have are Maketoys' Giant Type 61 team, which cost about the same, and Genesis is bigger than Giant. Heavier, too, I think... Giant was in its box for storage and I didn't have time to get it out. But that was $350 for 6 figures, each with an alt mode, which combine to make a big robot. This is $350 for one massive figure. If you just go by cost to height/weight ratio, yeah, I'd say he's worth the cost.

Everyone's opinion is going to be different, of course. Hasbro's figures are always going to be less expensive than the third party ones, and I find I typically lean towards the official figures (occasionally with a third party add-on, like City Commander). I've owned various other third party figures over the years and they usually get sold off after a bit. Giant was an exception, rather than the rule, for me.

I have to admit I'm tempted to pick up a YOTS Omega Supreme just to see how they compare. But I don't think I'd be able to compare them as figure vs figure; it'd have to be YOTS Omega + Maketoys city bot add-on kit vs. Project Genesis. So it wouldn't be a $250 price difference between the two, it'd be less - but until we know how much Maketoys' kit is going to cost, and how well it's going to work, the value question, for me at least, remains up in the air.

On the bright side, I have a feeling that if I decide not to keep this figure, selling it to break even won't be a problem.

Also, I have shared a picture of my cat, who quickly discovered he could fit into the box once I had the figure out. :) 

[​IMG]

17. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Well-Known Member

I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone noticed this.

But if you invert the tank, he can fit on G1 Omega Supreme tracks.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. ATLMYK

ATLMYK Well-Known Member

The launch pad was definitely intended. Why they did not show it ahead of time is a mystery to me. For most of us the the iconic alt mode for Omega Supreme was the tank and launch pad! Maybe the ship alt mode works for fans of the game but for me and I am sure a few others it just looks like a mess, a well snapped together mess, but a mess none the less. Finally seeing a alt mode I could believe in was what I needed to pull the trigger.

I do hope for the add-on set being discussed there will be a way to make a larger tank, using the smaller tank as a turret like the original omega tank. Don't need a track. Just a nice big, obviously more massive than the average cybertronian tank, tank. The track was necessary for g1 Omega to keep the motorized tank near the base so I don't see the need to add a track to just have a track.

[​IMG]

19. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

20. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files: