Minor/Repaint: Planet X "Project Genesis" to cartoon Omega Supreme head conversion

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by tekering, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looks amazing and very creative engineering there! Any chance you'll take more commissions for these face plates? Since you're in Japan you could actually send it to my father-in-law's address there in Aichi for convenience's sake. Please let me know, thanks!

2. CronoSabre

CronoSabre Well-Known Member

Yeah I feel the same way about being able to put it back to stock, although I probably never would.

Thanks for the advice on the glue Attobot2006. Hinging it is a great idea if it can be done well. I also like the more G1 accurate blue eyes that you used, although I`m a bit scared to cut all that plastic away. I`ll definitely not be able to go back to stock if I go that route. How did you secure the transparent blue eyes to the face?

3. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did mine today, the head cannon is held with some sticky tack otherwise it just flops down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Attobot2006

Attobot2006 Well-Known Member

If you leave each eye still attached to the main blue frame even if you cut away most of the frame, when you insert the eyes into the face from behind it'll stay in via friction. I just added a tiny dab of hot glue gun glue to the unseen framed portion between the nose on the back side of the face. I still saved the rest of the frame which is part of the head venting (and is actually the light piping for the new head). It could be reassembled with the new head even if now seperated from the eyes. But my new head is pretty much toast now that I permanently modified the new mouth piece to fit the old head. I can't put it back now (unless someone here wants to send me their leftover mouthpiece from the new head :D )

And on mine there's a certain "pattern" to cut for the face to fit the way I have it on the head. Not sure what Ted's pattern is, but in my case, there are gaps between the outter edge of his face and the helmet that you can see through. Maybe Ted custom-cut his better to refect the multi-angled contour of the mounting spot for the helmet. I can't tell. I'll take a side profile shot of mine when I get a chance. I had to guess since I didn't seem to find a side profile shot of Ted's. I might have to fill the gaps in with putty or something.

5. Attobot2006

beautiful! question though: are you guys keeping the eyes white to make it look like the game? what did you do to make it white? just paint behind it? or did you glue a thin sheet of white styrene behind it or something?

6. anubis20

News Credits:
    I tried using the blue eyes but they broke when i tried cutting them. I just used a piece of paper with some sticky tack so they stayed in place.

7. bladebeam1

bladebeam1 Well-Known Member

Got 'em. Love them. Thank you!!!

8. kiienkYan

kiienkYan Well-Known Member

the "plastic" surgery is so COOL!! Nice custom bro.. :D 

9. BulletSponge

BulletSponge Well-Known Member

For any of you out there who are interested in customizing the head to be able to go back to stock, you can use "Size 3" microscrews. I had to go with a 3/4 inch length and cut off the end because the 1/2 inch length was too short. Wire-cutters work just fine since the screw is so small. The ONLY problem you will have is finding a place that sells the size 3 Screws \ Nuts \ and Washers. I found mine at a local Ace Hardware store. Home Depot and Lowes didn't have any under size 6.

You have to get a size 3 nut obviously which can be tightened with a socket wrench. The only difficult part was cutting a notch into the front face part to allow a washer to slide in to line up the holes. Without a washer large enough to brace against the heads frame, the screw head will just slide through and you'll only be annoyed.

10. Attobot2006

here's mine. Took me a while. rather than cut the face down to fit in the tiny space between the helmet and the canopy, I actually cut into the helmet so that the face can be recessed into the helmet instead of just floating on top of it. Allows the face to face forward more instead of up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side profile so you can see how far into the helmet the face sits. (helmet halves not yet glued together, ergo the gap since I just loosely fit it for pics. I plan to put an LED in there for the eyes to light up blue still)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kept the blue eyes for eventual LED's. You can see exactly where i dremelled into the helmet so the face can sit inside it. Needs some filing on the edges a bit. I just put the face there first, then traced it with a sharpie, then dremelled inside the lines. Nice fit now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Visor not glued in. just sorta "snaps" in between the helmet and the breathing apparatus thing.

11. CronoSabre

CronoSabre Well-Known Member

Great idea, cutting into the helmet. I'm working on mine at the moment and finding it difficult to get the face cut down enough without Omega's nose hitting the canopy.

I'm also going to look into BulletSponge's idea for securing the head, great idea BTW.

12. CosmaTron

CosmaTron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sorry for the poor phone pics, but this helmet is just too awesome! I too kept the blue eyes. I clipped off the meat of the eyes and sanded it down until I was able to make it a close to flush as possible.

Regarding the two halves of helmet, I tried something I haven't seen tried yet. I chose to remove the open threaded "tube" that was attached to the original yellow visor. I simply gripped it at the base and broke it off. It was a nice clean snap. Once done prepping the new face and sanding as much back as possible, I was able to glue the "tube" to the back of the face. I placed it in its slot and pieced it together with the back halve with screw. I then glued it in place (tube to the front halve). Once I new the "tube" wasn't going to slid in or out, I then glued the back of the face to the front halve. It took some severe sanding back of the exposed tube, but there are plenty of threads available for the screw to grip.

Now the two halves are able to assemble as originally designed, and come apart via the screw. The new "face" halve is all buttoned up and ready to go. It looks really great. With al the extra stuff between the face and original helmet (tube, blue eyes, and glue mess) I realized that I hadn't sanded enough down to avoid the smallest little nose poke to the new clear visor.

When affixing the new visor, I did have to press down ever so slightly to get the bottom to catch in the mouth piece. The nose point is barely noticeable. Does't affect anything whatsoever. Im totally loving this guy!

Attached Files:

13. donxavier

donxavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Going to pickup a Project Genesis Tank Repaint head to use on my YOTS Omega. I want him to look closer to his G1 counterpart. To that end, do you offer the visor in a clear uncolored plastic version?

14. tekering

tekering Missing a member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Sure, I can do that.

Precisely as intended. :thumbs2: 

Looks terrific! Thanks to all of you who've shared pics. :D 

15. lenimusprime

lenimusprime Well-Known Member

:rock flawless

16. Ceric Neesh

Ceric Neesh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just curious; would anyone be interested in a cast of the face on the part that lets the head screw back together? You'd have to paint it yourself, but once I get my Genesis I could do that without too much trouble. I may even be able to source some pre-tinted amber plastic for visors, though I don't want to step on Tek's toes on that. If there's interest, I'll see what I can do (I'm ordering the Genesis/Caelus pack from RK in the next day or two), and may even be able to fit a blue or amber LED into the back of the head to light up the eyes.

17. Brunkion76

Brunkion76 HE>i

I most definitely would welcome a cast of the face fully ready to be installed on the alternate tank head if it meant I didn't have to shave down the original face, or even destroy the the original head to accomplish this conversion. It's the main reason I haven't done the mod yet though I bought one of Tekering's visors a while ago. Hopefully this is what you are meaning to accomplish.

18. anubis20

News Credits:
    I would be interested as well.

19. Imperious Prime

Imperious Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would love a face cast and visor that didn't require me to destroy a part of Genesis!

20. Ceric Neesh

Ceric Neesh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alright, when they show up I'll toss both faces/faceplates into some silicon and start kludging something together for you guys.