Planet X is the best ever

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by dxp, Mar 9, 2017.

1. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    But 1st, Megatron

2. LazyAza

LazyAza OFFICIAL MMC COLORIST

News Credits:
    Mmm I'm constantly filled with guilt over having put so many of PX releases on my "get it later" list. Am dying to rectify this mistake as soon as possible sigh.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    You really should as they're awesome figures.

4. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of the WFC/FOC aesthetic. Its not horrible, but its not my favorite. Im not real familiar w the game (I have it but my kids play it more than I do). I did a quick Google Image search for the characters I know are in the game, and the only characters that I like are:

Grimlock
    WFC Megatron
    WFC Soundwave
    Insecticons

Everybody else... meh or ugly.

The fluorescent lights are also ugly. They give me nightmarish flashbacks of "Batman Forever" -Yeah the terrible one with Val Kilmer as Bruce Wayne and Jim Carey as Riddler. Good soundtrack, but the lights were horrific. I shudder to recall it.

5. Bainreese

Bainreese Well-Known Member

The lighting is actually something that I like very much. It's part of what makes the line unique. It gives the sense that these robots are powered by a different kind of energy. Previously the idea that energon was a different form of energy was just kind of there. You could never really see it's practical effects on the robots or vehicles themselves. But with WfC and FoC you can see how the robots are powered. And the idea that they have thrusters That augment their movement is also very cool.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Robogeek28

News Credits:
    Yup, I'm definitely a fan of the energy lines that are painted on these guys.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Megatronus27

Why should it sadden you? We have different aesthetic tastes and that variation between lines is one of the many things that makes Transformers as a product line very interesting.

Going by the Google Images, the thing I dont like about the aesthetic is the "puffyness" to all of the characters. I like aesthetic builds that bring both strength and dexterity. The WFC/FOC look has exagerated proportions on the chests/shoulders/forearms/thighs/calves. Basically they look like they are in Astronaut suites. Some characters look good with that (Grimlock), but most others do not imo. The Seekers, Jetfire, and Optimus just look horrible to me.

Im G1 so I identify these characters as their 1984-86 cartoon likenesses. So clearly I prefer Masterpiece figures, but the kind of aesthetic that excites me (without the nastalgic pull) is best seen in the MMC Reformatted line. Harder angles with a G1esque look, but athletic builds. From the HOS Seekers to Hexatron/FeralCons/Azalea/Jeagertron. Those are the molds and aesthetics that I really like wo the G1 pull in. IDW is cool, but the gigantic feet turn me off. MakeToys also tend to be right up my alley. From Quantron thru the Cross-Dimension line, I really like the aesthetic. Although Striker Manus and Riotor Despotron arent Optimus and Megatron to me, I love the look. Striker Noir is my most anticipated upcoming release. Again, "aggressivel looks with athletic builds that bring high levels of articulation. Long limbs with that SuperRobot silhouette I suppose.

As reference, I very much prefer the WFC Soundwave figure (and its proportions) to the FOC figure and what appears to be the game model (much thicker arms and thighs).

Transformers Prime is probably my favorite official aesthetic "look" even tho Optimus is too wide in the chest for my liking.

The thrusters are indeed a very cool addition to the characters. I dont mind a few lights, but it just seems like too much. Bumblebee's cheeks are terrible and Grimlock has more than Is prefer. Granted the designers needed to do something in the games to better view the characters as the scenery is pretty dark (minus the fluorescents).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. Megatronus27

I buy Masterpiece for the nastalgic connection, NOT the aesthetic. Regardless if FOC Grimlock looks cooler than G1 Grimlock, the "essential" Grimlock will always be that G1 character that looks most like FT Grinder in toy form (to me). I like how TF Prime looks -Hard edges. I like some paneling and mold details (what MP typically lacks).

If I were to make my own line of "cool" looking robots, they would be in the style of MakeToys and Reformatted. The WFC/FOC aesthetic simply doesnt excite me or interest me. Its simply okay or "fine".

9. GR1ML0CK

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Amen brother!!! As much as I'm a "geewunner" those cartoons were cheesy as fuck and poorly drawn. Only nostalgia makes us think they are cool.(ducks and runs). People hate change whether it's good or bad but not this old cowboy! I played the WFC games and instantly fell in love with the designs and the alien world. I felt like I was on another world. So I totally agree 100% that the designs are light years ahead of the old cheap animations from the 80's. Of course this is all subjective and my opinion

• Like Like x 1
  10. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    IT's not really the "Best Ever" but it is unique unto itself. :) 

I just want slipstream and Arcee.

And I want them to be at the very least (current) Voyager scale.

11. Robogeek28

News Credits:
    Personally I don't worry about the different aesthetics, because if I like it, I'm buying it. I'm the type of guy that can have a shelf that has MP's, TF Prime, Planet X, MMC Reformatted, and TF Animated molds displayed together just for the hell of it. :lol 

12. GR1ML0CK

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Me too. You talking to the dude that has the reboot Voltron on my mp shelf that also has TR Fort Max and generations Brainstorm

13. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's funny: The cartoons got me into collecting the figs. The figs of the 80's is what stopped me from continuing collecting :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  14. GR1ML0CK

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Thought of you when I just picked up Planet X Jupiter for $74.88 shipped! eBay flash sale. Get some!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ekreth

Ekreth Well-Known Member

At the moment I would like to see their version of Jetfire and Broadside :D 
    My Classics Jetfire needs an update :D 

• Like Like x 1
  16. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    They are certainly the best producers of non-MP toys in my opinion. The quality, the detail and the style is unequaled.

The Planet X Dinobots are, as I see them, the definitive CHUG Dinobots. The only other way to do it would be something VERY G-1 styled. the FoC aren't (I think they're generally superior), but they do lift the CHUG "Neo-G1" spin.

Far and away my favorite 3P company. I love the FoC/WFC look, and though I wouldn't want them to do an entire line, I feel they could make the essential Voyager F-15 seeker mold one day.

• Like Like x 2
  17. AnegefalosGR

AnegefalosGR Elite Guard!

Amen to that brother.

Planet X is too good, way too good to limit theirselves to the aesthetics of a single Transformers continuity.

18. Robogeek28

News Credits:
    Planet X needs to just keep doing what they've been doing, and make great WFC/FOC figures.

There's enough other 3rd party companies that can make G1 figures.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tesler

Tesler Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I do love my Planet X figures. Just won Summanus so now I've finally got all of the core Dinobots and I'm sure I'll get Triton soon. I thought I'd never have a physical figure of FOC Perceptor but they made one and I'll always be thankful for that. I'm looking forward to what comes next. So many potential figures but I hope the next is Megatron. Standing Mors and Jupiter next to the Hasbro one makes it clear who needs to come next.

• Like Like x 1