Planet X Asclepius: FOC Perceptor

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by ubertenorman, Sep 18, 2016.

1. ubertenorman

ubertenorman Well-Known Member

(For anyone wondering, Asclepius was the Greek god of medicine. His staff entwined with snakes is still a symbol of medicine. Not sure why they used his name for Perceptor-I feel like it'd fit Ratchet much better, but whatever.)

Alt mode:

1altmode1.JPG

It looks pretty accurate to the game art, although the feet pod things are a little bigger on the figure. The blue highlights don't photograph well-they're actually a dark, subdued teal. The wheels turn on ball joints. I sorta wish he had hidden wheels to roll on, but I don't miss them that much.

2altmode2.JPG

The turret moves up and down but has no left/right rotation. You can kinda mount the sniper rifle in place of the turret but at least on mine it doesn't really lock into place.

Several storage options for his arsenal:

3altmode3.JPG 4altmode4.JPG 5altmode5.JPG 6altmode6.JPG

Tank is maybe a smallish voyager. Size comparison with Blurr:

7altmodecomparison.JPG

Robot Mode:

8robot1.JPG

I really like the robot mode. I wish the wheels retracted into his legs like in the game art but it doesn't look nearly as awkward as I thought it would. I'm not sure if either side of his scope is meant to be the front. I like to think the "eyepiece" side is for sciencing and the other is the business end, so to speak.

9robot2.JPG 10robot3.JPG 11robotposed.JPG 12robothead.JPG

He comes with two pistols that form the legs of his sniper rifle a la Generations Blurr. Personally I think they're kinda boring as rifles but work well as armatures for mounting his weapons in various positions in alt mode.

13robotpistols.JPG 14robotpistols2.JPG 15sniper.JPG 16sniper2.JPG 17sniperstored.JPG

Sniper rifle can hang off of his backpack for storage. They definitely had sniper poses in mind when they designed the articulation: head can lean all the way back and still turn, backwards ab crunch for prone position, forward shoulder motion to hold the rifle in front of him. In a nice touch, you can unlock his chest tray and use the ab crunch for forward posing too.

18prone1.JPG 19prone2.JPG 20prone3.JPG 21prone4.JPG 22guns.JPG 23guns2.JPG

Forward ab crunch used below. While I like his giant gatling guns, I sorta don't think they work for Perceptor...I tend to leave them aside. They seem more geared for arm cannons for someone like Ironhide (who I really hope makes an appearance in this line! one of my fav Ironhide designs).

24gunsflipped.JPG

Size comparison with Walgreens/Gen Brainstorm and Planet X Grimlock:

25comparison1.JPG 26comparison2.JPG

27comparison3.JPG

Final Thoughts:

He's on par quality wise with the Planet X Dinobots. He actually feels a bit sturdier since he doesn't have any thin folding panels that Dinobots are known for. Don't let the "bright blue" turn you off, it's a much nicer teal in person (i really need a better camera setup). Personally I think he's the best classics-style Perceptor we have, not that he has very stiff competition. The Generations one never really locks together and looks kinda funny and the KFC one was...ambitious. And has many poor engineering decisions. And has bad QC issues. (I've had three different copies of him...).

(hopefully this looks ok, still learning the new site posting tools)

28tumblr1.JPG 29tumblr2.JPG

tumblr dot com slash oh tee pee

• Like Like x 3
  2. ubertenorman

output_yxXEcP.gif

sorry (not sorry)

• Like Like x 2
  3. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha! You beat me to the punch, Ubertenorman. I just finished taking pics of my Asclepius to submit a review. If it's ok, I will post mine here as well (if not, I can always separate it into its own thread, just drop me a PM to let me know).

And without further a due, Planet X's Ascelpius -

When I Po'd this figure, I was very pleased with his announcement. Although I was very eager for this fig's arrival, I will admit I wasn't as enthusiastic about him as I was for PX's Dinobots. That is until I got the figure in-hand.
    [​IMG]
    (Yes, Schlepy. I see you too :p )

Seeing the vid of him in Youtube did this figure no justice at all. I do not know if it was due to the cameras used, the lighting, or a combo of both, but for some reason it didn't capture this fig's A W E S O M E N E S S.
    [​IMG]

The details on him are just amazing and is much more exciting to see in person than what pics/vids reveal. After PX announced this fig, it made me wonder why did Activision stop supporting this game's line and do HMS in like they did.

[​IMG]

(Agreed! I do not know why you all were forsaken!!)

Ascelpius' poseability is surprisingly good. By looks, one wouldn't think he was capable of doing so.

[​IMG]

(ok, chill out. You're no Van Damn-a-bot!)

The more you play with him, the more one is tempted to try out other poses and push the limit on what he can & cannot do.

[​IMG]

(Capt. Morgan stance now? You don't even drink alcohol, you schmuck!)

What makes this figure even more impressive is the array of weapons he comes with. That FoC took this character and envisioned the more Wrecker-ish aspect of him was just icing on the cake.

[​IMG]

Of which that massive sniper rifle has AAAAAALL my attention ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting note about his scrapmakers - The black end piece extends outward by barely under and inch or so.
    [​IMG]
    I am guessing it is for cosmetic purposes as I have yet to figure out what mechanical advantages this provides.

Another interesting note is how well he handles the storage of his weapons (well, all except the scrapmakers).

[​IMG]

And love posing him in beefcake mode, ready to bust some decepti-chops!

[​IMG]

He just loooooves to show Grimlock that he can be a bad ass too!

[​IMG]

Here he is with Takara's United WfC Optimus

[​IMG]

Finally, beefed up tank mode ...

[​IMG]

I agree with Ubertenorman, Asclepius is just an amazing figure overall. The plastic quality on him is on par, if not surpasses, that of PX's Dinobots mainly due to lack of the thin pieces predominant on the dinobots. The figure is LOADS more charismatic in hand that what pics/vids depict. And the fun-factor of his poseability alone makes him worth it. If I had to nitpick about anything about this figure, it would be his price. Although he is an incredible figure with tons of features, details, quality, and design. He's not $100 range-worthy. This seems to fit more along the $80-$85 range. That being said, one would still be missing out if they pass this fig up as part of their FoC/WfC or IDW/Wrecker collection.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    The black piece on the scrapmakers extends back so that it can tab into the forearms and increase stability when holding the guns.

The cosmetic function is that the front black pieces can move forward as if they were being charged. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. ubertenorman

I don't mind you posting your review here, actually the mods wouldn't like multiple threads anyway.

I completely agree--he's a lot of fun in hand. Maybe a little overpriced, but honestly I feel like Planet X prices their stuff much more fairly than a lot of third party companies.

Forgot to mention in my review: the thigh swivel is fairly limited by the sculpt. Usually that's a big pet peeve of mine, but I don't find myself missing it too much here, especially with the great head and chest articulation. I think he might be Planet X's best articulated figure so far, though I don't have their Omega Supreme.

Oh yeah, how did you mount the sniper rifle in your alt mode pic? I don't have him in front of me, but it looks like it's just resting there. Does it actually lock in?

6. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AGREED!! :thumb  If this fig is any indication of the direction PX is pushing toward, Mars and Jupiter are going to be gawdly!!

:lol  Aye, it's just resting there.