Planet X Apollo (FOC Ultra Magnus)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Onslaught24, Jul 15, 2017.

1. lordmegatron64

lordmegatron64 War Starter and Crate God

It's a fail. It's an add on kit for a bot that looks NOTHING like Magnus. It could have the best detail, paint apps, and plastic quality and I would still consider it a dud. This is NOT FoC Ultra Magnus. I doubt that they're actually gonna make a real figure of him which means that void will never be filled. :( 

2. Duwian

Duwian Wants FoC EVERYTHING

Huh, mine has super loose hips actually. Everything else is very tight. But, even so, we certainly seem to agree on the PX being dud-free!

3. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    There's another 3rd party company that's tackling FOC Ultra Magnus that isn't a repaint/retool of FOC Optimus so if you're that upset about the UM Planet X's is giving out there's another option of filling that void. It may not be the same true but it's better then nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Duwian

Duwian Wants FoC EVERYTHING

To which do you refer? Incarnate, by Guilty is the only other I have seen, and it seems to have been abandoned a while ago.

5. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Yeah that's what I've meant.

6. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've kept a solid eye on the Incarnate set by Guilty. Alas, as mentioned above, much like many of Guilty's projects, this one fell prey to this company's usual hijinks: never got completed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Razor24

Razor24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty much a converted IDW UM fan so for me "bot inside armor" is now the norm for UM.

How often in TF toy history is UM a white repaint of OP? Our first version of a CHUG UM was using a white Classics OP and sticking on fansproject armor.

TF Prime UM's first version was a repaint and slight remold of OP. HasTak's official version of FOC UM was a repaint and slight remold (head) of FOC OP. See the trend?

If you all gave the official versions of UM a free pass for being a repaint and slight remold of OP I think you're being a bit too critical of PX for doing something similar.

At least the PX version is modified enough that the armor makes him look different to Jupiter (aesthetics and height).

• Like Like x 1
  8. stormflash

stormflash Well-Known Member

Yes.They are being too critical about the figure.At least we get a nice alternative to jupiter AND the armor set to give him two different looks.

No.Hasbro toys costs far less that third party stuff and are made to be mass produced.100$++ for a non-true foc UM is garbo logic.

I personally am in the neutral side,but these are the points I see people pointing out

9. Razor24

News Credits:
    Yes I agree Hasbro toys are cheaper to make than 3P toys. But lets not forget the repainted base toy (Jupiter) is included in this UM. That isn't cheap to make even with a mold (Jupiter) already done. Then you go and add a bunch of new parts to it to make a different figure. How is that garbo logic? Are you saying that because it is not a "true foc UM" cause it uses Jupiter as a base with addon parts that it is somehow inferior and therefore should not cost $100+? Now that to me is garbo logic.

PX could have damn well done a straight white repaint of Jupiter and called him FOC UM and charged $100+ for it. I'm sure there would still be some die hard fanboy out there that would buy that but this isn't just a straight up repaint.

Personally I think he's fine but would have been happier if they focused on figures we don't have like Ironhide and the Aerialbots.

10. stormflash

Again I repeat.You do not have to tell me,I personally don't care that it's an armor set.I'm sayin that I can see others thinking that way.You pay more for the same mold of optimus and an armor set.One mold that does not have to be designed again.It just doesn't look like foc multiplayer UM(especially in vehicle mode).That I have to agree.The hammer's too small.The vehicle is off.

I can see why people are upset.That is all.

11. Razor24

News Credits:
    Honestly I don't even recall playing a single multiplayer for FOC. I played the campaign and that was it so never really saw UM in vehicle mode.

So yeah this guy could have turned into a Cybertronian garbage truck and I wouldn't have known the difference :lol 

12. Exousia

Exousia Lost Lighter

News Credits:
    TF Prime UM's second version, which they used for the show, was a slight retool of Optimus. The first version was a wholly new design that transformed into a flatbed truck. I remember very clearly, because I though it was a shitty thing for Hasbro to do. It was also shitty that they just made his FoC figure an Optimus repaint, since he looks nothing like Optimus in that game.

It's also worth noting that the Aligned (WfC/FoC/Prime) universe Ultra Magnus has, AFAIK, never been a white Optimus in armor. He's been his own design (FoC, first Prime design) and a blue-and-red slight retool of Optimus (FoC toy, second Prime design), but he's always just been himself. No armor. So that makes no sense to do here. Also...

Yeah the alt mode is way, way off. So rather than this being the "finally, someone gave some love to Ultra Magnus" moment, this comes off as yet another shitty "let's just use Optimus instead" moment. At least to me. Which, as a Magnus fan, sucks.

13. lordmegatron64

lordmegatron64 War Starter and Crate God

Except that the other continuities don't matter here. This is supposed to be the WFC/FoC UM. Which is NOT an Optimus in armor.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CybertronianFan

News Credits:
    Don't see a problem with the hammer size. In all honestly most 1-h hammers use in battle are not a honk'n-huge thing. Only warhammers tend to be larger, almost unwieldingly large and have to be used 2-h.

I am scratching my head a bit on the character design. Although I do understand that PX is trying to milk as much as it can out of an already made mold, which pretty much fits this design in the same category of the re-decos of their seekers: milk the mold to capitalize on profits (which in turn means more funding for future projects), but this UM does deviate some from the original concept and I can see why some are upset at an armored-up Jupiter vs. of a non-armored FoC UM (which is what he was in game, and personally of my preference).

That being said, initial concept-wise (and I cannot believe *I* am saying this), I think Guilty's Incarnate did a better job of capturing the essence of FoC UM (that proto of theirs looked almost 100% spot on). However, that doesn't mean I lost faith in Apollo. I will admit, though, I am holding out for their full color test shot just to see how they fung-schway him altogether.

• Like Like x 1
  15. stormflash

Sure.But the hammer looks more like he stole the mallot from mario when he wasn't looking.He didn't even use the hammer in this fiction.It's just a freaking homage to animated/prime,so why make it "realistic".If you're homaging something at least do it goddamn right.For him to be so bulky,and wield a hammer that miniscule,it does NOT look right.

• Like Like x 1
  16. stormflash

Personally don't think their milkig the mold,I just think they either had leftover jupiters,or felt that it would be easier(it is) to just reuse the mold and add on parts to that.The molds already been designed and fixed.They just need to produce it.That keeps the cost down.And i'm pretty sure they factor-ed in the thought that an armor UM will please the fans with "nolstagia",which is obviously not the case.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CybertronianFan

News Credits:
    Blame fantasy/sci-fi settings and video games for that. The 1-handed hammer is usually no more complicated/exaggerated or larger than the standard smith's hammer. Wielding something that "minuscule" while donning bulking armor wasn't uncommon (and you're sure as hell didn't want to be on the receiving end of it). I guess I see it differently, but to me it's really not a big deal.

Boldfaced (especially the underlined): is what's called "milking the mold" :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  18. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The $115 price they gave isn’t really cheaper. Should be $90 if you ask me. Personally just send out Pluto

19. stormflash

I never said it was cheap.I said it'd keep cost down.They still had to manufacture the parts and how it all fits together.And that wasn't my point really.I try really hard to be neutral in discussions and talk about both sides.Personally?Couldn't care less.Don't think it was a smart decision.Don't think it was that dumb either.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 8:50 AM
  20. stormflash

Yes blame sci-fi.But with robots?Come on man.This a fantasy with a giant freaking robot dinosaur dragon thing named trypticon.I don't think logic needs to apply here.

It's not a big deal.I absolutely 100% agree.But the hammer is an homage.It's not a necessary item that came with the character in this fiction.Hell he was barely even in it.When I think homage,I think MMC calidus,like the bow.It references animated,and stays true to that size and all with some tweaks.This is just "Oh magnus is imagined with a hammer,let's make one so we can pay homage.But nah,let's not make it accurate."

If foc magnus had a hammer,and it was that size.Hell if it was microscopic,I'd be 101% with it.I'd just don't see the point of it being there if it's not "canon" and it being a totally different size.Not wrong.Different.

And when did i start hating this figure again?Oh right I don't.Silly me.Silly goose.Why did I say goose?I must be high again.

I try to keep threads opinionated,so I spew thoughts that don't bother me but may bother other people.I don't believe in 99% of the 'negative'(as in opposition) things I say,in fact I support figures even when nobody else does,I just feel that these are some things that do affect some fans,but I certainly am not one of them.:)