Planet of the Apes - Ultimate DVD Collection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Moore, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Thats a lotta monkies. Apes. Whatever.

3. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

What, no Broadway musical version?

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    apologies to the purists for the inclusion of mark wahlberg's stinker.

5. Nephthys

Nephthys Banned

That's sweet!!
    Except it could have excluded Burton's remake. :thumbdown 

6. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    yeah, that was 2 of the most wasted hours of my life :thumbdown 

7. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    :lol  :lol  :lol  Someone please post a pic of that Simpson's episode.

But I always wanted to have all the Planet Of The Apes movies.

8. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I only saw the first one and always wanted to see the others.

Also the marky mark one wasn't that horrible. At least it made sense than the apes didn't have guns. What really pissed me off was the ending. How could you leave a cliffhanger like that???

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    You've gotta just shrug that off as Tim Burton playing with the genre. I saw that movie and the cliffhanger...just made me smile. It's just an amusing "Ooooh, what if we totally screw around the history of man!" clincher that made the first 5 films so unexpected.

Has anyone checked out "Revolution of the Planet of the Apes," the new comic by Mr. Comics? I'm enjoying it and can't wait for the next one to come out.

10. Brave Magnus

News Credits:
    Now that Ops mentioned I would really like to know what the hell happened to the Earth at the end of Burton's Planet of the Apes. I love that ending and I definitely want to know what will happen after that.

11. Nephthys

Nephthys Banned

Burton's remake was shit. The original was the best of them all.Come on. what do you prefer"you damn dirty ape!" or "You damn dirty human!" ?

12. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    The latter, because I hadn't heard it before. And it was more unexpected than Wahlberg trotting out the original line again, which has become somewhat cliched over the last 30-odd years.

Y'know, there's nothing that pisses me off quite so much as people who say "that was shit" without bothering to say why they think it was. It's not quite flaming, but it's bloody rude.

The board's called 'General Discussion,' not 'General Unsubstantiated Opinions.'

13. Nephthys

Nephthys Banned

You want to know why?
    He took a classic and totaly destroyed the whole plot of the origianl story.

14. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Okay, now we're getting somewhere.
    You don't like it because he didn't recycle the elements of the plot you really liked from the first one. I can understand that point of view. I don't agree with it, but I get it.

But what's the alternative - a shot for shot remake? They've fallen out of favour since 'Psycho' bombed so badly.

The thing about a remake is... it's not the original! If Burton had used the exact same story, the studio would have sent round a bunch of heavies to his house to demand their 200 million back. Besides, the shocking end to the original movie isn't quite so shocking the second time around. By ending it differently, he at least gave us a bit of a surprise.

And I like surprises... especially ones that involve dark chocolate. Yeah, I know I've drifted off topic, but I'm hungry. :spam 

15. Nephthys

Nephthys Banned

Maybe ,Burton should of never done it int he first place. I like the original concept.Some things should not be touched with.

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    That's a...pretty polemic method of elaborating, but hey - your opinion. Phrase it as you wish.

Honestly, I think the original was better than the Tim Burton version because it was contextually appropriate in 1968; there was an important political message to be transmitted about how different parts of a population deal with uncomfortable and new circumstances - which translates effectively to the mess of issues being resolved in the late '60s through early '70s.

The Burton film? Well, one thing that always entertained me about the way the film was marketed was that it was blown up as an UBER ACTION FILM. To me, it seemed more like Tim Burton getting a chance to entertain himself - and viewers - by playing around with Boulle's original concept.

Not every Burton film is a straight-out-of-the-box redux of the novel. His "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" plays distinctfully differently than the Gene Wilder/Mel Stuart film but it's still an entertaining film, nonetheless. There's a lot of stuff in Burton movies which you just have to shrug off as Burton entertaining himself as much as he's entertaining you.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i dont think burtons version was bad because he butchered the original.

it was just bad because it was bad based on his usual standards.

burton usually makes quirky but original movies with his own personal slant. his POTA was just populist drivel. the movie may not be bad on its own, but as a burton flick?

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I liked Burtons movie. The originals used to creep me the hell out.
    Thought Burton had an entertaining view of the whole thing as a bonus instead of ruining it.
    I think ol Wahlberg's turned into a pretty decent actor. Even if Marky Mark was silly.
    Plus that one chick is hot (not the ape chick)
    Also liked the main villain, he pulled off some cool looking grins in the movie.
    Alsmost reminds me of Jim Careys Grinch

19. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I didn't know burton made that, I love his stuff and Planet of the Apes, but never caught the new movie. I'll need to rectify that.

I also think Burton should do a re-make of "the Wizard of Oz" and "Alice in Wonderland" I think that would be a Riot. He needs to do some films with female leads. Although both should have Jonny depp in them, he is just to talented, variable, and creepy to not. Music by Danny Elfman of course.

20. Brave Magnus

News Credits:
    I didn't say Burton's version was the best but I love it. Th original Planet Of the APes was brilliant and yes i do like the "you dman dirty ape" line but calling "shit" the last version is too much.
    Bah, I like it. Old or new I love these movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.