Planet Hulk Comic/Movie Differences - Spoil Youself Within

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by OmegaScourge, Feb 3, 2010.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

finally got to watch it and i actually enjoyed it.

Been a while since i read the comic book so until i can get my hands on the comics again, wanted to see if anyone else noticed any chances

One big one was the movie trades Silver Surfer for Beta Ray Bill - im happy with it, never was a SS fan.

2. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Really? Hell, that would've been an improvement to the comic as well.

3. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I've been sold on the movie just hearing Beta Ray Bill.
    I do love the comic though

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    If you enjoy the Hulk you need to get this movie. Even with the changes made to it the pacing and story flow nicely.

5. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

wait where is everybody watching this at??????? is it on sale already?

6. Molini

I never was a Beta Ray Bill fan. The Silver Savage/Hulk battle was one of my favorite scenes in the entire book. This displeases me to no end. I hope there is an alternate or deleted battle scene where there's at least some Silver Savage action.

:banghead: 

7. OmegaScourge

yup came out this week.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The Silver surfer removal is due to fox owning the animated and movies rights to Fantastic Four and related characters. It's why they can't do a Spider-man Direct to DVD because of Sony as well.

9. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Are you sure Fox owns Animation rights? Because Silver Surfer is in the superhero showdown cartoon with other characters, and they made a "Hulk Vs" with Wolverine, with no acknowledgments to Fox

10. Molini

To be fair, it's not that I don't like Beta Ray Bill, I just never read any comics that featured him ever. So my lack of familiarity leaves me very biased, obviously. But the relationship between Hulk and SS is what made the battle interesting. In the book Hulk had a genuine respect for the Surfer and called him his friend, then Hulk was caught off guard and attacked by SS courtesy of the Obedience Disk that all slaves wore.

Thanks OmegaScourge, picked it up from best buy 15 min ago!

11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I believe it goes back to how the contracts were written and the old Silver surfer cartoon on fox. The X-men had a different contract, so they may have different rules for wolverine. They sold the silver surfer rights by themselves to fox because fox wanted to do a spin off. I'm not positive, but I believe that is the reason, if they used the surfer fox would have to get a small percentage because it was direct to dvd. Which for some reason has different rules than cartoons. But even I can't follow copyright law. It gets more convoluted the more it continues. Then again I could be wrong and they liked Bill better, but who knows.

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Bill is in this? Oh I am so at least renting it.

- Coeloptera

13. hupla

hupla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will always stand by the opinon that hulk should never have came back to earth. The way this movie ended only makes me more upset that he does.

14. lifedragon99

lifedragon99 Well-Known Member

The movie was great as was the comic series. I thought the perfect ending for the movie would have been some prelude to WWH just to give the fans a little nod.

15. Molini

Even if Meik had transformed in the movie, they were missing a key moment from the comic that I thought defined Meik's eventual treachery. Hulk stated to Meik in the comic, "If it were me, I'd never stop making them pay." It was that statement that, at least IMO, inspired Meik to go change his mentality from a hider to a fighter. It was little things like this that you can really only appreciate in the comics, but they just have no place in a movie due to the pacing.

I will admit to enjoying the Beta Ray Bill in place of SS, it made for quite a good battle, although I still prefer the Comic version with Silver Savage for my taste. I missed Brood :(  and also was disappointed that the Hulk was not shown ripping the Spikes out of his body instead of it being burned out of him via nuke. It would have been nice to also have seen the Elder Spikes feeding off of King Hulk in the end.

Otherwise, I found it a decent movie on its own. I'd rank it a 7/10.

16. OmegaScourge

i totally forgot about Brood. I really need to go hunt the comics (but having to go trough boxes will be a pain)

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, i loved the SS in the comics... i'll still get the movie, just probably not right away... but we'll see... i may just go buy it today...

18. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I wanted Silver Savage, not BRB. He serves the exact same purpose in the film, I just didn't see a need to change it.

Movie was okay, only did about a half to 2/3's of the book.

19. Jetfireinthesky

Jetfireinthesky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it stayed as close to the source material as it could given that you couldn't do a cliffhanger ending with him going back to Earth unless they were also going to do World War Hulk movie. I enjoyed it though. I really need to go out a get me that Planet Hulk hardcover collection I've been putting off.

20. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Aw....no Brood?

She was awesome! I'm a big Brood fan from reading X-Men (loved the "Brood mutants" arc back in the 220s) and I thought it was great to show one as an actual individual, considering they've always been shown to be fully sapient.

- Coeloptera