Planes vs. planes

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by UltraMagnus3786, Jan 26, 2011.

1. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    But remember they are giant alien robots DISGUISED as jets we know. The enslaved Pegasus inside them lets them fly much faster.

2. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

I was actually just coming back to add that caveat.

I agree, that they would be able to probably go much faster, and perform manoevers that would turn a human pilot to jelly, but even so, at some point even alien tech must give way to physics. So the fighter types would still be able to fly circles around Silverbolt.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I think that between Dirge's intelligence (he really is pretty smart) and Starscream's tactical leadership and penchant for exploiting an enemy's weakness, the Seekers would probably do pretty well. As much as the badguys get shortchanged in the media, if you look at the bios and the stats, the Seekers are all exceedingly competent.

However, on using Dirge specifically to target Silverbolt, we need to remember that nobody outside of Optimus Prime knows about Silverbolt's acrophobia. However, the fact is that Dirge will be using his blanket fear powers anyway, which will likely have some effect on all but the boldest Autobots... Silverbolt will be the one to feel it worst though, possibly with catastrophic effects. He runs the risk of spinning out and crashing under NORMAL conditions, if his concentration breaks. Induced to an artificial panic attack by a specialized weapon, I think we might write him off pretty quickly.

Exactly. Add to this the fact that almost ALL of the combatants listed actually do have explicitly listed maximum airspeeds, so there's no reason to guess how fast they would be compared to their Earth counterparts. It's there in black and white in the bios. I assume that all of them would handle better than Earth fighters, but not to the point of being flying saucers. :) 

zmog

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Obviously not watching old G1 episodes:lol  I haven't seen those specific episodes in a while, guess I frogot.

I was getting the stats from the Generations cardbacks:tongue: , where Dirge is given a courage rating of two and Thrust's entire bio is devoted to the fact he's a wuss (with a courage stat of 1). I just figured the stats were the same as the G1's were. Guess I should have checked that out first, huh?

There was never a seeker combiner because the molds were never designed for that purpose. The Seeker mold dates back to Diaclone, where combiners didn't really exist if at all, and since it was cheaper to just repaint and retool the mold in minor aspects such as wing design, no combination gimmick was neccessary. The original coneheads were only made to have their namesake noggin design because the animation crew wanted to seperate the new three seekers from the old one, and they discovered the nosecone could remain around the head.

And why the hell would we want a Megatron, Soundwave, and Shockwave combiner? Jeez, just have Megatron and Shockwave transform into gun mode and have Soundwave dual-wield them.

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    This has been a very interesting discussion. My opinion has gone back and forth.

But I know for certain who would win in a fight. Which ever side the plot demanded would win. It's the same answer to the question of how fast X is. It's speed is dictated by the plot. The victor in this fight is dictated by the plot.

Easy/obvious answer aside I also wish to point out that this issue wouldn't be black and white. You can have all the factors be the same going into a fight 10 times and get 11 different results. So there is no definitive answer. Either side could win or loose.

Still this has been a fascinating discussion.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Well, obviously if the plot demanded that one side win (probably Autobots), then yes they would win even if one of them had to pull a deus ex machina out of his ass.

But I guess we're trying to aproach this realistically, where the result of the fight is actually a result of each side's pros and cons and to see who would win THAT way. Did the Allies win WWII because the "plot" said so?

That is close to my history teacher's definition of insanity: "doing the same thing multiple times and expecting different results". I guess this especially applies here since I fail to see how doing something 10 times gets 11 results.

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    In a situation as fluid and dynamic as a fight events with the same initial variables can have drastically different results. That's what I meant by 11 results.

As an example look to any sport. Some times a team member doesn't perform as well as they should. Others they go above and beyond their limits. There is really no predicting it.

Video game multiplayer as well. In Halo I generally get 12 or so kills in a match. Some times I get 6. Some times I get 20+. But most of the time I'll get around 12.

Since the teams are so closely matched I don't think a winner can be decided. I'd say it comes down to each bots performance in that particular battle.

8. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Many of the Decepticon planes have a superpower.. not so much the Autobot ones... so the Cons probably have more impact in vehicle mode nose to nose...

But some think like Thundercracker Vs the Aerialbot Airaid would be interesting.

9. SMOG

This is mostly true (except the speed thing... if one character is clearly numerically faster than the other, the answer isn't really a subjective factor)... but the reason why this fight scenario is relatively undecided is because the sides are pretty even. When you put characters under the microscope like this you can reveal why one party or the other might have the upper hand. In this case, I think it's pretty inconclusive, though I'm sort of rooting for the cons.

zmog

10. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    If I may put my Jet Nerd hat on a moment, Powerglide's bio is accurate to his alt mode: he's an A-10 Thunderbolt II (aka warthog) - they are a devastating air-to-ground bomber/tank killer, but while they are shockingly maneuverable (I saw one demo at an air show when I was a kid) they are a sub-sonic airplane - so assuming the alt mode characteristics carry over (and usually the jet bios are fairly accurate to their real-world counterparts), he'd be the slowest 'bot there by a fairly wide margin.

11. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Someone needs to petition that "Ultimate Warrior" show and have them run their simulation program 100 times and let us know who wins.

~Z

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Thats actully not accurate.

The other Aerialbots know, Slingshot made it public.

13. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    I'd say Jetfire, Powerglide and The Aerielbots would just sit back in deck chairs drinking pina coladas while Omega Supreme deals with all six seekers single-handedly. :rock 

14. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Would love to see a RandallNg/Dr. Smoov video of these guys going at it.

15. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    What if Starscream carries Megatron into the fight with him? That'd be fun.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That is unless they brought Buzzsaw. Then Omega's FUBAR.

17. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    in a one to one combat I say Skywarp if he hade a bit of brain would dominate as he can teleport himself up behind his enemis or whatever his special abilety was.

luckely for the autos he aint that cleaver.

18. SMOG

Oh, I know that A10's are both slow, and manoeuvrable, so that much is accurate to Powerglide. However, I just mean that I find that PG's bio describing him as a spunky little daredevil, who is physically smaller and weaker, with little firepower... fits a WWII fighter very well. Considering the powerhouse bulldog rep of the Warthog, it doesn't fit him as well. As a kid in the 80's, I didn't really know what an A10 was (at least not until the Cobra Rattler came around). Most of my friends just figured he was some kind of older type of airplane, because he didn't look like a conventional jet.

The flavour of his bio makes me wonder if Budiansky might have made the same assumption about him.

Was that in an episode or a comic? I don't remember that (plus, how did Slingshot know?). According to his G1 bio, it's a well-kept secret. That's what I was going by...

Uh, I don't think that's completely true. I think teleporting behind his enemies is pretty much the extent to which he uses his power. Remember that despite his relatively low intelligence, he is also described as being extremely sneaky. He's not an imbecile... he's just a thug and a bully. He has a pretty fantastic special power, but his lack of imagination prevents him from exploiting it in ways beyond just backstabbing people.

zmog

19. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Skyfire said himself he's a scientist not a warrior.

20. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WWII fighter... WHAT?

A-10's are still in use today. They were even featured in TF1,they tore up Skorpinox. plus I think the A-10 is Vietnam era correct me is I'm wrong.