Plagerizers are scum I tell you!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zigholtul, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It astounds me how freaking greedy and ignorant some human beings can be when it comes to art. I just found this out through a video posted by Black Buster Critic about a deviant art user that's renown of blatantly tracing from copyrighted images, mostly by Osamu Tezuka, reediting them (barely) and selling them for profit.

deviantART: TheForgivenArtist's Journal: Stop BBC once and for all.

Not to mention that this particular artist is so butt hurt that he's going out of his way to get other users banned for daring to call him out on this behavior. I'm sorry if this thread seems rather useless its just the inner artist in me that takes offense to such malicious behavior. And the sad thing is this situation is all too common, from movies to television. Its only become more apparent and easier to spot due to the rise of the internet which makes spotting these things much more easier.

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Huh, I checked the link and saw that green robot lion thing with the original piece... that's a pretty shitty thing to do, copying like that.

I feel a bit of a hypocrite though, years and years ago I needed an image for my CV so I used a Chun Li picture as a body template. (Long story, I had done piece in a personal artbook. Just line art and inked. I needed an image fast (for a job interview I think), and it was the most presentable. I ended up scanning it, tidying it up (it was split over 2 pages) using clip art to embellish it, and then using my own work as a BG)

I ended up using it for a couple of years, but since I dunno, 2003 onwards I've changed the image to a totally new one, but actually selling copies for money is kinda low.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Especially damning considering this week is the anniversary of osamu tezuka's death.

I think I'm pretty forgiving of art plagarization, especially on places for amateurs like deviantart. I think there's a place for aping of styles, "inspired" drawings, and hell, even out and out tracing or integration of pre-existing pieces into new ways, but even I draw the line at passing off someone else's work as your own. There's a lot of leeway in how much of another artist's work I feel you should be allowed to use, but that leeway shrinks by a lot if you're not willing to cite where you got your help from.

4. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Wasn't Nick Simmons guilty of tracing art from Bleach for his own comic, as well?

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Thieving bastard. He'll get what's coming eventually since he's digging his own hole.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Is the ownership of artwork like that similar to Voice over work?

Because I read/heard somewhere that voices cannot be trademarked, and that impersonators voices are considered 'new' art forms, therefore not controllable.

Ie, A company in the UK called More Than insurance has an impersonatator voicing their ads called Morethan Freeman, which even though it sounds like Morgan Freeman, is perfectly legit.

Is artwork under this banner as well? Like me copying the Mona Lisa and selling it as a copy?

7. kristaldoodle

kristaldoodle Nutbar

I hate traces on dA, as an Deviant on there it's annoying when you've joined a group and you get traces of shittastic (traced) TF OCs or trace still-frames from the show. it's annoying and it doesn't show creativity.

if they want to 'start out' send them to Fanart Central. that place is where i started with my (horrible) tracing then i learned how to draw characters by heart. (not by tracing)