places where you avoid buying transformers...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lumpy, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    are there any places you avoid? i really hate going to walmart. they all make me feel dirty. and recently i had been doing really good, until animated came out, and now i've got prowl and starscream from walmart, and seriously doubt i'll go back for more...

i'll just wait a few more days til target gets them in stock...

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I don't give a shit. Retail is retail.

3. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Agreed

4. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't 'avoid' anywhere really - I'll take them from whoever's got them provided they don't jack the price up too high (Forbidden Planet, I'm looking at you). I'm picky about mail order though.

5. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I usually don't go to K-Mart... thats because they usually don't have anything.

6. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I make it a point to avoid Walmart. I did pick up an Animated toy from there in the last week but it had been well over a year since my last visit.

7. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I avoid going nowhere. If Wal*Mart has it cheaper, then so-be-it. Never understood the boycott thing.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    This. Though if I CAN find something first at Walmart and save a few pennies, those pennies add up over time. But it's not like I go there to avoid Target and TRU, nor am I avoiding Walmart if I find something first at the other stores.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I avoid going to Walmart period. That's one store I plan to never set foot in again. As for K-mart, I'd go in there more often if I knew that they would have something. Target is where I get most of my TF's from.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I used to avoid Kay Bees when we still had them in this state. Their stock was always poor and they charged about $2 more for everything.

11. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

The store "Toys and Collectibles" in the Serramonte Mall, Daly City CA is the worst. It is runned by a guy who over prices everything. Now he loses money so he has several items on sale but it is still over priced.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I do most of my shopping at Target because I work overnight there and thus have easy pickings on new merchadise (get over it :tongue:  ).

I do a lot of my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart (hey, it's freakin' cheaper there and I totally don't get the whole 'Wal-Mart is teh ebil must boycotz !1!1' nonsense) and do a great deal of toy hunting while my wife is shopping. Which usually ends up with many a good result (like with this last weekend where I picked up Animated Bulkhead, Lugnut, Ratchet, Cyb Prime, Prowl, Bumblebee & Lockdown).

I do avoid K-Mart, but that's only becuase the two near me hardly ever have anything. I do however check them out regularly and one of them was where I picked up my Premium Movie Prime when he first go released and I couldn't find one anywhere.

KB I used to love shopping at, but now all the ones that used to be here in Tampa are gone. If I want to get some stuff from KB than I have to travel out to Orlando as that's the closest one that I know about anymore.

TRU, I don't avoid it per se, but I don't usually go in there unless I'm looking for some of their exclusives because the one near me usually is behind on the regular retail releases or just picked through by a couple of guys I know that work there and collect Transformers as well. No sense competing with fellow collectors.

Kohls I go into if I happen to be near it, but there's only one near me and I don't go to that side of Brandon very often unless a friend tells me they've got the newest stuff in stock and I haven't been able to find it anywhere else.

So, really, I don't avoid anyone. Like OWAT said... retail is retail. However, I'm much more picky about my online shopping and really only buy from BBTS and a few eBay members that I've built good relationships with over the years. Otherwise no go as I've been screwed too many times be online retailers (particularly Bills Toys & Games... that guy is the worst online retailer I've ever dealt with!).

Edit: Just remembered one place that I always avoid. Freakin' FAO Schwartz. I hate these stores... only two malls locally have them, but I avoid them like the plague as they over price everything. Last time I was in there they were selling stuff like this: Scouts = $9.99, Deluxes = $14.99, Voyagers = $24.99, Ultras = $34.99, Leaders = $55.99 & Supremes = $69.99. The Scouts and Deluxes don't seem to bad unless you really think about it, but the bigger items start to get even more ridiculous. I'm just glad that Hasbro has never done an FAO Schwartz exclusive.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  13. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel dirty, when I buy from scalpers!

14. swampflight

swampflight Banned

TRU(where a kid can be dissapointed!)

They never update or stock the shelves unless everythings gone,and then they pull out the retail crap nobody bought in the first place, and X-MAS is even worse because not only is everything marked-up,but they never stock enough for the holiday rush and the only way to get anything is to get there at 4:00 A.M. and wait until they open.

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    There used to be a place in the mall near me that had Japanese TFs that were ridiculously overpriced.

I'd walk in and eye the TFs and the shop owner would hover around me going "You like? Is from Japan. Only (some price) dollah!"
    ...and I'd be like "Dude, that's way too expensive. I can get this for (price/2)."
    ...and he'd be like "I chahge this much because I need to pay rent on stoah. You like you buy. Is good price!"
    ...and I'd be like "Naw, have a good day."
    ...and he'd be like "I drop price twetty-fah pehcent."
    ...and I'd be like "Naw, have a good day."

...and he'd look at me with a big frown as I walked out, as if I had told him his whole family were pigs or something. That store closed after like 7-8 months. I think I only bought one thing from that store, probably an RID toy. The place was closed by the time Armada was airing.

16. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Kohls. I'd wander in there looking for the harder-to-find movie toys last summer, but for the most part the selection sucks, the prices are way to high, and the store itself is just the lameness.

17. defstar

defstar Autobot...

That was good...:lol 

No store I hate going to...I just try to rotate visits among the stores in my area...if I keep looking at the same one over and over it gets really old quick...

18. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I dont go hunting on the weekends. Its always always always packed and the lines are long. Sometimes TRU TS cuz again too many tourist and long lines.

19. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Right on the money

This seems to be a pattern with the smaller toy shops unfortunatly,they open with great deals and buys then after making some decent money,suddenly start charging for figures like you cant get them anywhere else in the world and eventually get such a bad reputation that they have to close down due to lack of business.I live in Melbourne,FL. and in the last 5 years I've seen 5 toy shops close down because of greed.

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    The only reason I frequented this guy's shop was because I virtually lived across the street from it. I used it to scope out what I wanted to buy off the 'net, usually.

...but yeah, you're right. Similar stores have popped up and disappeared in a lot of the malls around the DC area. They just can't survive as they try and raise their price because the market for the stuff they're selling usually just isn't that good.