Places to buy Transformers in Japan

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus Prime, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll be going on a school trip to Japan next month, and was wondering what are some good places to get Transformers? Specifically, some rare Japan-exclusive stuff that would cost a ton to import. I've got two free days in Tokyo, so places in or around there would be ideal. Thanks!

2. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Toy shops?

Sorry couldn't resist.

3. jon

jon That dude from the forest

News Credits:
    walk around akiabara. its a huge street of anime stuff. lots of toy stores that have vintage transformers and some older reissues.

4. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You also might want to check out Asakusa. That's where I picked up Red Alert.

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Both places suggested in Tokyo are good ones.

However don't be disappointed to find TFs are that big in general department stores. Be prepared to really look around.

6. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Hmm. Check out any Toys 'R' Us outlets you find as well. They might even have exclusives.

7. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

School trip? What school takes it's student on a school trip to Japan?

8. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My college offers "Travel Courses," which are educational trips over spring break to places like China, Japan, England, and I think Italy and France are/have been offered.
    Lucky for me, Japan was offered this year, as I'm really interested in Japanese history and culture and have always wanted to go there.

I'd heard that there was a particular store in Akihabara that was just a Transformers shop, but I don't recall what the store's name was. I don't plan on getting too much, probably just one thing if anything, since I'm on a limited budget. Maybe I can find one of those new MP Ghost Starscreams over there :lol 

9. M3GATRON

M3GATRON Well-Known Member

Everywhere its japan home of giant fighting robots

10. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Big Camera

11. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You'd think so, but I had a lot of trouble finding any decent amount of TFs. It wasn't until Bic Camera in Kyoto that I found a decent amount (granted, I couldn't go to Akihabara because I was with classmates and we couldn't just go off on our own, but still).

12. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

For modern stuff? Yodobashi Camera might have something. For everything else (and more) I strongly suggesting going to the Mandarake outlets in Akihabara, Shinjuku, and especially Nakano.

13. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    when i went there before there was a HUGE TRU in tokyo i do believe, but we never got to go.

When we went to Hiroshima one of the nearby sacred islands had many stores and they sold takara tomy stuff like their little hot wheels. didn't pick up any tf's doesn't mean they weren't there!

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

You mean Home of the Giant Fighting Robot Corporate Offices.

Manufacturing factories are in China. I wouldn't doubt that TFs may be more prevalent in Hong Kong than Tokyo. Taking the KO factor aside.

Then again, I have yet to visit either (save for a flight layover in Nagoya).

15. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Well, since Japan is Takara's HQ country, It only stands to reason that TakaraTomy products are sold there. Kusanagi, the factories are China, but their output is mostly for export. Japan outsources most of its manufacturing because it has no room. The US does it because big business here is largely run by shortsighted cheapskates.

16. sarakawa

sarakawa Contracepticon

apparently there is a store in akihabara called mandarake that carries a lot of transformers...mostly vintage stuff. i would check that out. i am going to japan in april and i am just giddy with how much stuff i want to get. i'm a little scared of how much money i might drop...so many henkei's that i want!

17. teruo kaiba

teruo kaiba Made In Japan

For rare Japan-exclusive figures, your best bet is Akihabara. There are several stores in the area, like Mandarake, that sell a variety of transformers among other toys. Usually the best selection for the rare stuff is in the cubicle type stores where essentially inside the store there are a number of small plexiglass cubicles where figures are displayed. The figures aren't actually owned by the store, but by people who rent the cubicle to sell their figures and the store simply gets a % cut. Definetly walk around though as you will often find varying prices for the same figure even inside the same store.

A good indication I found for prices in stores for the rare stuff is going on Yahoo Japan as I think a lot of people seem to base their prices off there. Also, overall I found the prices to be reasonably priced (only occasionally finding a really hot deal), however atleast you get the examine the figure in person instead of online.

For current stuff, Yodobashi in Akihabara. Just be warned, if you like electronics and toys, be prepared to spend a few hours in here. I love that store.

18. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    If your looking at newer stuff try the big camera shops like Yodobashi or Bic, they are huge electronic stores mostly with big toy sections. As far as older stuff you wont be saving money, they charge an arm and a leg for vintage G1 stuff and you wont be finding any deals there.

19. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Also be prepared to hear a cheerful, department store jingle version of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". That's Yodobashi Camera's official theme song. :D