Pixar Has Cancelled One of Their Upcoming Films!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, May 12, 2010.

1. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Pixar’s Newt Officially Canceled | /Film

This Must Suck for Gary Rydstrom, Since this was Meant to be his First Feature Film

Its Still Shocking, Pixar has Never Cancelled any of Their Upcoming Films Till Now

You Opinions?

2. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Darn, I kinda wanted to see that.

3. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    To me, the plot was almost exactly like Flushed Away from Dreamworks. A pampered male and a streetwise female, forced together, but fall in love? Heard it with Flushed Away, and then with Princess and the Frog.

4. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Aaaawww...That was one I was looking forward to. :( 

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    SHoot. I really wanted to see that one. Much more than Monsters inc 2.

6. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

BOO new ideas!

YEAH pre-built market friendly bankable franchise cash-cows!

Actually I would hope there's more to it then that. However I was just the other day talking about Pixar's recent sequel boom (Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Monsters Inc. 2) and how it may effect new properties from them. So it's not a vibe I like. Plus I was looking forward to newt (well I'm looking forward to anything new from Pixar really, 'cept for Cars 2 UGH).

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Once Disney bought pixar I knew it would be all about hype and sequels, it was just a matter of time. They bought pixar because it was doing better than their movies which were all hype and sequels. So did they learn their lesson? No. So expect to see fewer complete originals and more sequels and known properties. Disney is board run, they don't want to take chances, so creativity slowly goes out the window.

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Well, I guess they can't all be winners. The synopsis of the Story seamed pretty funny though. The final step of the complicated mating ritual blocked by a Coffee Machine...lol.

Glad to see that there is still some new origioal ideas in the Hopper though.

9. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Too bad they didn't cancel Cars 2.

10. TMIIWonkoNemi

TMIIWonkoNemi Well-Known Member

I thought it was one of the sequels,but an original movie cancelled?NO!!!

11. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    As much hatred as there is for the Cars movies, the merchandising possibilities are far too great to not make a sequel. Look at the Hot Wheels-type vehicles they sell. All they've done is repaint them or add lenticular eyes over four years and they still sell like crazy.

Little boys tend to have a cult following of it as well. My boys almost always refuse to watching anything else. We're already on our second copy of the movie.

That said, the supposed storyline of Cars 2 sounds AWFUL.

12. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    As I was reading the title, I was thinking "Please don't let it be Newt, please don't let it be Newt, please don't let it be Newt." :( 

I am disappoint, Pixar. I am thoroughly disappoint.

13. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    C'mon, guys, this is Pixar! There's been a new renassaince of films with Wall-E, Up, and no doubt with Toy Story 3. Whatever they're doing now, they're gonna keep doing with how well all three movies did and will do.

14. ZeroMayhem

See, I get this, I do. However that's the fear I had about the Disney merger. That their influence would overpower what Pixar used to do. I'm not saying this is it for Pixar or anything so melodramatic. It's just that with them canceling an original film (especially one with possible environmental themes) while confirming another sequel, it has a more Disney business feel to it then a Pixar creative one.

Honestly the Incredibles seems like an easy pick for a sequel, based so subject matter. Too bad that wasn't as "merchandiseable" as Cars.

15. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It does have the potential to be based on what happens in a sequel. Think all the different heroes & various action features they toys could have.

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Was hoping that they would cancel one of their upcoming sequels, preferably Monsters Inc. 2...

Oh well, not much can be done about that. The synopsis of Newt doesn't sound too appealing to me anyways.

17. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    OMG, HOW COULD PIXAR DO THIS! THEY'LL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!

Get a grip, people.

18. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    bummer, but at least they havent cancelled everythign :) 

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really sure what "new ideas" this movie was going to bring to the table. Based on that synopsis, the story sounds like a combination of a "fish-out-of-water" story and a bad sitcom premise, complete with the stock characters Clueless Inept Male, All-Knowing Female and Cliche Ladies Man with Bad Ideas About Love. I'm sure the animation would have been stunning, as usual for Pixar, but that synopsis sounds like they would have been just phoning in the story.

I did think it was funny that they felt it was necessary to specify that Newt's only friend was a lifeless sock puppet.

20. ZeroMayhem

Ok, because apparently what I thought was my very over the top and clearly sardonic response has been misconstrued as an actual critique of the film's concept, I'll try to clarify (sorry for any confusion, certain tones don't always translate well to type).

What I was getting at was the very basic concept of foregoing any "new" idea for something that's already proven itself (a pre-existing franchise). Any Pixar film is going to cost tons of cash. Having the film be anything that's already proven itself to be popular takes away some of the risk. Risk that comes along with any unknown property. Be it film, game, tv show, etc. It's the seemingly sudden shift away from the "new" by Pixar in favor films that already have that prebuilt base that I think has some people concerned. Something perhaps more driven by bottom line investors and a bit less from the artistic side.

What makes Pixar so great is its originality. The last thing I would want to see is them turn into just another extension of the Disney market driven sequel machine. I get that it's a business, still Pixar has managed to merge profit with an artistic sensibility better then any other studio has in years. I hope they continue to do so, I look forward to seeing how they handle these sequels. After all Toy Story 2 was fantastic, but three sequels in the pipeline at once (one being Cars 2) just feels a bit odd.