Pirated Vista Will Cripple Your System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elvin Pena, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
  2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Haha awesome.

3. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

Wonder how it can tell it's pirated. Identical ID (or whatever they're called) numbers?

4. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesn't the fact that you're running a microsoft OS already cripple your system enough?

In all seriousness though, with every new windows program, they have a new way to combat piracy, and almost every time it fails. This will likely fail just as well. It's no different than the way that every console system that comes out has ways to combat pirated games being played, and yet somehow people seem to stay one step ahead of software companies.

I'm not saying anything good or bad about piracy, but all this is is the begining of yet another cat and mouse game.

Besides, didn't windows xp stop working completely after 30 days if it wasn't activated properly or something like that?

5. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I forsee this fucking up people with legitimate copies more than stopping piracy.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I agree 100%.

7. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

QFT

8. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    After crippling your system, they'll come around to break your legs.

9. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Which is unfortunate, becuase I've decided that because of my experiences with pirated Windows serial numbers, I'm buying a legit copy of the next OS I use.

10. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

How?

11. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Someone will find a way around the anti-piracy measures very soon after the OS is released, so all the pirates will be able to pirate it easily. However, people who aren't quite so tech-savvy will buy it and somehow screw up the installation, causing it to look like a pirated copy. Even without errors like that, it will still make installation more complex.

12. Frognal

There's a history to strict anti-piracy. Just look at the copy protection that's been used on PC games for some time. Securom, Starforce, Safedisc, etc all generate massive headaches to legit owners (to the point that some game developers actually suggest no-CD cracks), but not the pirates. And I've already had headaches dealing with hardware upgrades and having to re-activate XP (thank you outsourcing).

13. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I dunno why they still play relativley nice. If it's a dodgy copy why don't they have it fuck the system entirely?

14. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    yep. I went out and bought windows XP, and I format my computer regularly, and now it sais I can't activate it anymore because I activated windows too many times.. WTF..

now I have to call the stupid service thing every time I format, and sit there for half an hour going through all this number stuff which doesn't work untill I can talk to a human that fixes it for me.

I even registered windows XP but that seems to do nothing

meanwhile my older brother is using his pirated copy of windows XP no problem, which seems to have the activation completely removed.

I'll tell ya, buying a copy of windows sure didn't make things any easier, it ended up just being a bigger pain in the ass, and it cost me a fortune. oh well.. at least I can boast that im legit :p 

same with photoshop, I was using that illegaly as well, just had a pirated copy, it worked awesome! but then I decided, no, I want to be legit, the people made this software, took a lot of time, they dont want people stealing it. so I went to ebay and bought an older copy of photoshop 7.

it got lost in the mail, and took 8 months to find it *doh*

I swear, you do the right thing, and everything goes wrong :lol 

15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Do you think they actually trust their anti-piracy programs enough to give them the ability to fry systems? What if it's a mistake?

It would be lunacy to give an OS that ability, lawsuits would abound.

16. Frognal

Hell, even if it wasn't a mistake I doubt the law would even allow it. If you steal something from a store, the store doesn't have the right to destroy everything you have on you at that moment.

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

maybe one way is by the time you install your copy, someone else my have already gotten your serial number, thus crippling yours.

18. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Your brother's pirated copy works because of a WVLK. (Windows Volume Licensing Key)

All namebrand PCs come with one, this is why you don't see them having to activate everytime they do something.

Upgrades (such as your's) use a generalized key, which requires activation so piracy is cutdown.

I believe the full editions of both Home and Professional carry a WVLK. Activation is a pain in the ass.

19. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I see this causing more problems for us foks that acutally buy the stuff. Even FSX has their cruddy activation. :( 

20. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Well, first of all, I don't think this thing is gonna delete your C:/ root or anything like that, just probably make it so parts of the OS are compromised, like you can't get on the Internet, browse files, or run programs.

Secondly, I will once again choose this time to get flamed and point out that Apple has never done or planned anything like this, and I've never heard of any problems with a legitimate Mac OS, like where it thinks it's pirated.