2D Artwork: Piranacons Backgrounds

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Unfall, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

Just a few backgrounds I edited. If you have a request for a specific character just send me a PM.

[​IMG]

DISCLAIMER: BACKGROUND IMAGES TAKEN FROM GOOGLE, THE TRANSFORMERS THEMSELVES WERE TAKEN FROM DREAMWAVE'S MTMTE SERIES.

Attached Files:

2. Baron Prime

Baron Prime Well-Known Member

These are awesome!! Great Work!!

3. Archangel_B4U

Archangel_B4U Well-Known Member

Nice work are the quotes off there official bios?

4. Autobot-X1

Autobot-X1 Mentaly Hilarious

Ebay:
    :jawdropper:  Oh wow!! these are awesome, great job!! i really like the underwater pics, where did you get them? keep up the great work!:rock 

5. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    typo on seawing! 'darest' depths

6. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

Very nicely done. We need a group for "The Wreckers"

7. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

Thanks and yes, they are.

Thank you for pointing that out. It should be fixed now.

8. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Nice job. :thumbs2: 

Dinobots are next correct? :wink: 

9. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Love what your doing here. Keep it up!

10. Hype1

Hype1 D Witwicky biographer

Pure win! I wanna try something like this myself now, but I'll probably have to use actual transformers since I can't draw them myself, lol.

11. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Nor can he, he used existing artwork and didn't tell you - either under the presumption it was known (never presume that!) or because he didn't really care/think about it (Egads!? D= ).

See, that's what happens when people freely use other people's art without asking or providing even the courtesy of credit by pointing out who DID make it: people give you full credit. It's like those people who get credit for photoshopping signatures out of other people's work.

Right. In this case the artwork is "loaned" from Dreamwave Comics, taken out of the MTMTE series to be exact. I believe all of these were drawn by Don Figueroa, so probably inked either by Don himself but otherwise by Elaine To and coloured by Espen Grundetjern. As that was their standard team back then.

Unfall, what you're doing borders on arttheft, especially since you 're-publish' copyrighted official works without permission and unscrupulously state you do "any character".

12. Hype1

Hype1 D Witwicky biographer

W'ouch! Didn't mean to cause a stir, lol. While they do look great, giving credit to the source material's original creator is a must!

13. Quintesson #1

Meh. This sort of thing happens a lot, too often to reply to each poster tbh. :/

Usualy the consequence of lazyness or ignorance rather than purposefull art theft. He did say he 'edited' the art, but that's simply too vague to clarify anything.

14. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

If he's just using a portion of the art and not profiting on it he is in his legal right to use it.

15. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

That's the impression that I was under. Just to be on the safe side I'll check the copyrights.

EDIT: these images can be used under Fair Use

16. Quintesson #1

Even under fair use, that doesn't stop you from writing a few sentences and giving credit where credit is due.

However. I question if this is still fair use. You use the entirety of the artwork, not just once, but to create entire series of desktops and even start something resembling an "order service". No money is involved but you ARE walking the edges. As you can see in the article, there's a point where a judge will say enough is enough. Just read through the first alinea below the four judgement bits and the Amount and substantiality bits.

As I see it, you simply use fair use here to dismiss yourself from the effort of asking permission. Which I state again, isn't a big effort as they're all present on this very site...

But lawyer talk aside. If you made something and spend hours, days or more on it, how'd you feel if some random neighbour walked in behind your back, grabbed it and took it down the road for display, put a sticker on it and said "Look at me, I edited this" without even mentioning where he got it? Don't know about you, but I'd get pissed.

A little courtesy comes a long way. Just snatching up everything that's out there is rather inpolite, wouldn't you say? If you respect the art, treat the artist with respect.

17. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

These are the four things that determine whether or not this qualifies as "Fair Use"

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes; it is not for educational purposes but it is not for profit.
    2. the nature of the copyrighted work; a published and widely distributed image
    3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; I did use the entire piece
    4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. This will not hurt the franchise or Don Figuera in anyway.

Lastly your analogy here is irelivent due to the fact that it is not a private piece of art. If I were to have say taken your 300/dinobot image before you had posted it and used it as my own image, then yes I would be in the wrong. However if an Admin does deem these images stolen then I will comply with them.

BTW, check out the "Backgrounds" section of the gallery, there seems to be a lot more "art thieves" in there.

18. Quintesson #1

Your defense is rambling in several aspects. The copyright of the image is (most likely) currently held by Hasbro as Dreamwave is bankrupt, but the artist has a large say over whether it is okay or not to distribute it further. That's however, not the point. In fact, it's a highly irrelevant point who owns the copyright.

Whether it's a copyright held by a company or solo artist does not matter one bit. Not one bit. The sole difference is that the solo artist is seen as the underdog and it's all "awww" instead of the "big bad company who has plenty of money". Even if the pieces in question are not currently relevant, say he had plans to sell them at some point (you can't know the plans for any image other than guess! No reason NOT to ask!), by spreading the availability of the image you further lower its market value as it is well known and nobody is willing to pay for it anymore, apart from maybe the original lineart (Don for example often sells his linearts).

None of this gives you any more 'right' to use stuff without permission, you just downplay the artist's importance in favour of yourself.

What I wonder about though is, why you are defending yourself with this crap when asked to simply give proper credit from the start?

See, I consider Don a friend of mine and I have massive respect for his art skills. Hence why I've asked him for the right to colour images of his (Macromasters, unpublished stuff, private works, etc). Eventually, knowing I'd treat his art with respect, he granted me the right to colour any piece of lineart of his and post it, unless it still has to be published.

In contrast, I also know he gave up on protecting his artwork, because simply nobody respects its copyright. Even previews published on the web are not "free to use". They still hold copyright and you STILL should point out who made it if you post them anywhere. That's the point of a preview. The point is not to have anyone use it under 'fair use', simply because it may have gotten out. Worse is when you scan art from comics, because of obvious reasons. Comics can be reprinted even years ahead (see Titan Books and IDW with Marvel comics), so basically, you're undermining the chance of republishing of MTMTE artbooks (even if you'd probably not impact it a lot by yourself).

On DeviantArt and all over the internet MANY, MANY artists have to resort to mangle their art using blatant watermarks just to protect their art from theft and reuse. Many have to protect their linearts because THEY want to determine who colours something.

Other example. I've asked Milne several times to colour his lines, but he prefers exclusiveness for better colourists like Espen Grundetjern and Josh Perez to protect the value of his art by controlling who gets access to it. I respect that. You apparently try to dismiss it by hiding behind fair use?

I know... It's very annoying and edits are very often poorly credited. Other people's faults however, don't excuse you.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ok, guys, we need to veer this thread back on its topic. The topic of "fair use artwork" is something more for Radicons General Discussion.

If one is making a fan art project thread and using someone else's artwork, it is wise to at least attempt to provide as much information as possible about the artwork used, such as where it was obtained and the name(s) of the artist(s), if applicable.

Thanks, guys! :thumb 

20. JJohnson

JJohnson Well-Known Member

It would be epically amazing if you could CG the Piranicons into the images, and make them look G1 and real, as if they were really underwater...