Customs: Pin Removal, Rechroming, and Stencils

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Lunar Archivist, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Hope I don't come off sounding like too much of a newbie by asking this, but, after having screwed up so royally in the past trying to fix my old Transformers, I figure I'd better ask the professionals:

1. Pin removal. I read a "how to" guide on this in the forum which involved the old "nail trick", but I have a more complicated question: how do you remove pins when there's only an opening on one end? For example, if I had a G1 Powerglide whose wing snapped in half, how would I go about extracting the metal pin in order to replace it? I'm personally trying to repair a G1 Blitzwing, but the overall problem is similar.

2. Stenciling. I'm trying to restore the "26 Citanes" on the legs of an old junker G1 Mirage of mine. The paint was pretty faded to begin with, and, after doing damage control for two previous screw ups, it's in even worse shape. What would be the best way to repaint this and with what paint? I was thinking of creating a custom stencil on a sticker, cutting around the edges with an Exacto knife, applying it over the part, and then using spray paint over the unprotected parts. Is this a good idea or is there an easier solution that brings better results?

3. Rechroming. I'm trying to repaint a rather rare Slag variant, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do so because several of the parts with chrome wear are glued to other pieces and won't come off. Also, while I have no intention of reselling the figure, I'm hesitant to apply black primer to the worn parts because I don't want to ruin them any more than they already are by making them look "fake". Can I just spray chrome over it? Also, what kind of chrome would any of you recommend? I have a good idea what to use for the silver one, but the gold one has me at a loss...

Any help and/or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance! :) 

2. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Well in terms of a stencil, it would be easier and cleaner if you can draw the "image" in illustrator or photoshop. Take that file to a vinyl decal maker. Like window graphics or car decals. See if they can make something that small. Usually they could.

Or go buy the uber-ko version

In regards to your chrome issue. there really isnt a good method for chrome. all the best methods involve airbrushing or taking that part and sending it to be rechromed by a professional.

3. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
  4. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

The problem with your chrome question is that Transformers pretty much never use Chrome. The parts are vacuum metallized, which makes it much shinier than chrome. Maybe some googling will deliver a Vacuum-metalizing tutorial.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If you can't work out another way to do this that works, the Reprolabels set for Mirage does include replacements for the "26 Citanes" paint apps.

6. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Dead end pins...don't remove them. Hell even most pins you don't have to remove. Sounds like you're a spraypainter, which is fine, but you will have to do detail work with brushes anyway.

2. Stencils. It's tough, patient work to get smooth stencils. Curves are tricky and the small curves of a G1 Mirage is going to be really tough. I'd suggest reprolabels.com or printing what you need yourself, either just a label or actually make waterslide decals. Reprolabels is probably the best and easiest way, but no one customizes for the easy way!

3. Chroming. As it's been said, this is a tricky thing to get right. The glossy/chrome surface has to be perfectly prepped and smooth. Every little imperfection will have a nice shiny highlight. Spraypaint chrome finishes may work ok, but I don't have any experience with them.

7. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Speaking on the topic of chrome, the parts are vacuum metallized, not chrome, as someone else correctly pointed out. This is an expensive process to replicate, and I have yet to hear of anyone who actually got it done. In terms of getting a chrome like effect some customizers have used Alclad, I believe is the name of the product, anyways, it's not the same as vacuum metalizing, and it's very difficult to get just right. I think Frenzy_Rumble made a chromed G2 megatron, but he ended up tossing out his first two because he wasn't happy with them. I can't promise that kind of chrome finish will match the vacuum metalized parts though, in fact I'm almost certain it won't match.