Customs: Pin removal problem

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Torque, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i can't get mine out of my Skywarp... what do i do if i can't get the pin to budge either way?

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Is it a pin that has to come out? I only remove pins if I have to. If I can effectively paint around it (especially if it's really tough to remove).

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    the piece between his head and nosecone snapped, i was trying to replace it with a piece i'd gotten online. eventually i got the end to appear revealing i was on the wrong side, so i ended up hitting it back the other way. Skywarp ios now back in action!

4. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice! I was about to say "hit it the other way"....but I'm too late... lol

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'm really glad you were able to get this to work out for you :) 

Sometimes those pins are grooved in the center, which can make them even tougher to get out. One such notorious pin is the trunk/chest hinge on Alt Windcharger. I've removed three now, but I won't be forgetting about it :lol 

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    thanks-and while I never heard of grooved in the center, i can tell by the sound of it that that must have been brutal.

I was really nervous too cause it was my first pin removal lol. fortunately the piece on mine was from a KO, i had the piece that included the entire cockpit. there were plenty of pins to test on, but when it came down to the actual pin attatched to the piece, i couldnt get it out. i eventually ended up destroying the KO piece, but got what i needed, so the removal of the good pin on the good one was terrifying lol

i'd post a pic showing the results, but there's not much of a difference lol-if any

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, it wasn't fun, as I still remember the torque necessary as well as the aggravation level. There are several things I can think of that stand out like that - one just doesn't forget them!

It's good that you were able to try that out on a KO piece. While it's not the same, it at least gave you some experience. Things like this are skills one acquires as one does more and more of these types of things :) 

8. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

AHA! So THAT'S why I can't get that [delete-delete-delete] pin out of there...

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    :lol  Yeah, for real. Basically, I just used my pin punch and pliers until I got it out. The pleasant surprise was seeing the grooved end on the middle of the pin. :mad